New A3 1.8 stronic - Grinding sound during acceleration

Dakar

Reaction score
I purchased a new A3 at the beginning of this month, and I've since started to notice an annoying 'grinding' sound generally during acceleration in low gears.

Took it into the dealer who claimed it was the exhaust and a normal sound, but I'm highly skeptical.

It's the sort of sound I can't ignore, and now I just drive listening out for it..

Any ideas?

No ideas, but i'd get it booked in as not a satisfactory noise for a month old car.

I purchased a new A3 at the beginning of this month, and I've since started to notice an annoying 'grinding' sound generally during acceleration in low gears.

Took it into the dealer who claimed it was the exhaust and a normal sound, but I'm highly skeptical.

It's the sort of sound I can't ignore, and now I just drive listening out for it..

Any ideas?

during heavy acceleration or light or both? do you feel any vibrations on the steering wheel when you hear it?
(heavy accel. could make the traction control step in and you would hear and feel it)

hear it on smooth road, bumpy road or both?

Is the noise more prevalent when the gears are initially engaged/engaging (low rpm engine straining feeling) or do you hear the noise throughout the length of the gear?

No vibrations, and the traction control light isn't coming on. The sound happens even when driving relaxed in eco mode, and the road surface doesn't seem to be a factor.

It's most noticeable when pulling away, I'll hear the sound for a few seconds during a certain rev range in the lower gears. It's also somewhat random, sometimes I won't hear it at all. I can't reproduce the noise whenever I want, but I'll hear it often during a drive.

Any ideas?

Sounds similar to mine. I bought a new A3 manual, petrol 1.4 in March. When I took mine to the garage 2 months later to look into the noise, they compared and soon spotted it was affecting other new A3's too. I called back today after a few more months and they've since had more customers bring their new A3's in with the same observation. Apparently Audi is aware but not currently considering it a fault. Doesn't exactly sound pretty for a new car, even if it is benign.

Dakar,
I haven't noticed this on mine yet but still early days and low miles.

Is this similar to the 1.4T "rattle"? Lots of threads on that but thought the 1.8T was unaffected. The exhaust does have a bit of a blare to it at higher revs, but that's something I don't want to change!

Will keep an ear open for your noise. Any chance of a passenger getting a recording to post up on here?

John.

It's still a problem and is currently being investigated by Audi HQ. Took it back last week again for a more precise sound test, and waiting for feedback.

Apparently other A3's have also reported the problem, and my dealership believes it's related to the wastegate, but nothing official yet.

I would love to get a recording but my phone doesn't seem to pick the sound up, so might borrow an external mic from a friend.

Is this similar to the 1.4T "rattle"? Lots of threads on that but thought the 1.8T was unaffected. The exhaust does have a bit of a blare to it at higher revs, but that's something I don't want to change!

Mind pointing me to a thread on the 1.4T 'rattle'? This is the old 'A3 rattle' which definitely doesn't sound anything like my problem.