New A1 owner - with lots of questions

A4T

Reaction score
Hi guys,
After a much longer wait than expected, we took delivery of our A1 185bhp last week. So far so good, tons of fun, solid feeling, typical Audi feel actually. It’s my wife’s car but I’m keen to get it how I want it! So, questions/comments as follows:
1. Wheels/tyres - standard 17” fitted with Michelin Pilot Sports. They feel pretty good but not sure it they’re Audi specced or not. Does anybody have any strong opinions on these or other tyres for the 17” wheels?
2. Brakes - Again, these feel pretty decent and have stood up to some abuse over the last week. I don’t see any reason to upgrade, but again would love to hear other peoples thoughts.
3. Engine - I love love love this supercharged and turbocharged engine. It feels genuinely quick. I’m going to replace the standard filter with a K&N filter but not go for induction or CAI. A remap might be on the cards in the future and having used REVO previously would probably tap them up again.
4. Mirrors - We have the tilting mirrors but they can only be moved manually. Can Vagcom change this so that they fold when the doors are locked?
5. MMI - Has anybody confirmed or otherwise the MMI fuel consumption accuracy? Also, ours is in litres/100km (Asian spec)....any way to change to good old UK imperial mpg?
6. We have 55,000km on the clock. Anything that we need to be watching out for in the near future?
7. Needle sweep - I liked the look of this on previous cars. Can Vagcom add this to the A1?
Thanks in advance
Feex

Reactions: 45bvtc
Have a look for Carista app and OBDII plugin, that will solve your mirrors, needle sweep and kms to miles and bits and bobs. No need for expensive VAGCOM.

I have 16s and just bought Uniroyal Rainsport 3 which are great but your Pilots are meant to be awesome. No idea if standard, sorry.

Mines a lowly 122bhp and with a K&N filter it sounds good and ramps up response around 3.5krpm. Remap for me is on the cards too.

Have a look around about the engine, few issues, but as ^^ John will tell you they are awesome motors. In fact just search thru all of his posts thats what I did and ended up buying an A1.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 45bvtc and A4T
Thanks for the Carista app tip Judderman. I've placed an order so should have it in a few days...

Reactions: 45bvtc and JudderMan
Judderman, just looking at the Carista app. I can't view anything until the dongle arrives which should be sometime next week, but I assume it's simple enough to use? The changes you made, needle sweep, nearside mirror lowering, reversing display etc, are they visible as settings, or do I need to figure out some kind of code?!

Judderman, just looking at the Carista app. I can't view anything until the dongle arrives which should be sometime next week, but I assume it's simple enough to use? The changes you made, needle sweep, nearside mirror lowering, reversing display etc, are they visible as settings, or do I need to figure out some kind of code?!
screen696x696.jpeg

Looks like this. Customize is the one you want for needle sweep.

screen696x696.jpeg

These are your fault codes.

aunnzFR.jpg

This is a little deeper into the options.

It's really simple. Really cool little app. The only issue is that you need to pay £34 per year for the premium version (Android anyway, maybe more for Apple) but it's bargain considering the alternatives.

Reactions: 45bvtc
JudderMan, thanks so much for the Carista tip. The dongle arrived last week so I had a quick play over the weekend. Everything is very simple, mirrors now close on locking the car and the nearside mirror dips when reversing. The needle sweep is pretty cool and I was able to change fuel consumption MMI display to mpg etc. However, I couldn't see anything which allowed me to add the reversing proximity display to the MMI. We have sensors and audible warnings, but not the display. I'd quite like to add it......any ideas?

I also have the carista tweaks you have done on my A1 - as far as I know, you can only get the visual mmi rear sensor display using vcds or other more versatile software - still waiting to have my done when I can find a friendly soul!

That's a shame if so. We're over in Singapore/Malaysia so unlikely that anybody over here has VCDS. I did enquire with Ross-Tech about buying it, but it's very expensive...!