Q5 New 2017 Q5 - Thoughts

christuffley

Reaction score
Hi
Ive had my new s line 252ps petrol Q5 in Navarra Blue for a couple of weeks now and wanted to see what other peoples thoughts on the new model are.

I personally love it and very happy with my choice over the rivals.
Chris

495e476ca422cc9fde4a402e36380188.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Chris, a month or so in I guess how are you finding it?

Hi Chris, a month or so in I guess how are you finding it?

Hi

Really enjoying it. Done 1500 miles on a variety of roads and it's performed well.

What do you have?

Hi

Really enjoying it. Done 1500 miles on a variety of roads and it's performed well.

What do you have?

Personally have a Q7 but had no end of issues with it (Mk2) but looking at the new Q5 for sister. Was trying to find out if there were any issues with the new model as I experienced with the 7.

Glad it's going well. What spec etc did you go for?

Also am I being blind or does the Q5 not come with lane assist?

Is your car Navarra? It looks stunning!

Personally have a Q7 but had no end of issues with it (Mk2) but looking at the new Q5 for sister. Was trying to find out if there were any issues with the new model as I experienced with the 7.

Glad it's going well. What spec etc did you go for?

Also am I being blind or does the Q5 not come with lane assist?

Is your car Navarra? It looks stunning!

Yes it's Navarra Blue and that was one of the best choices I made over the Daytona.

I got the SLINE with pano roof, tech pack, virtual cockpit and 20" wheels. That in addition to the standard kit was plenty for me.

Touch wood mine has been spot on so far. Petrol engine averages 36mpg on a run and 29-30 around town so pretty decent.

Yes it's Navarra Blue and that was one of the best choices I made over the Daytona.

I got the SLINE with pano roof, tech pack, virtual cockpit and 20" wheels. That in addition to the standard kit was plenty for me.

Touch wood mine has been spot on so far. Petrol engine averages 36mpg on a run and 29-30 around town so pretty decent.

You have the 2.0l petrol then? Those numbers aren't bad at all. May bring petrol back in to her consideration.

Nice spec there and I think not far off what she's wanting - probably stay with standard 19s

You have the 2.0l petrol then? Those numbers aren't bad at all. May bring petrol back in to her consideration.

Nice spec there and I think not far off what she's wanting - probably stay with standard 19s

Yea 252ps tfsi - I'm not exactly light footed either.

I saw the 19's and they didn't do anything for me but taste is always subjective.

Yea 252ps tfsi - I'm not exactly light footed either.

I saw the 19's and they didn't do anything for me but taste is always subjective.

Hmm the petrol numbers are really good then!

Haven't actually seen the new 5 in the flesh so who knows re wheels she may decide to stick or change

Appreciate your input as very helpful - not actually found a Q5 forum that's busy and couldn't get myaudiq5 forum to work

Hmm the petrol numbers are really good then!

Haven't actually seen the new 5 in the flesh so who knows re wheels she may decide to stick or change

Appreciate your input as very helpful - not actually found a Q5 forum that's busy and couldn't get myaudiq5 forum to work

Happy to help

Looks great and like the colour best as well. If a Centre comes up with a decent deal i think i could be persuaded to trade mine in :)

Looks great and like the colour best as well. If a Centre comes up with a decent deal i think i could be persuaded to trade mine in :)

Currently working on one but the MY18 spec changes and lack of Configurator update makes it tricky

Also annoying how they've changed the Comfort pack to take away elec seats and added in rear camera - doesn't help when we would've specd parking pack which has 360 cameras.

Also gone is the Vision Pack which gave you the HUD and couple of other bits.

Inchcape were pretty decent when I bought mine. Got around 7.5% and a healthy trade in.

Reactions: AudiSpy
I've had mine just over 2 weeks and am really pleased with it. It's a TDI and on my daily commute it's now hitting 51 mpg. Was worried it might feel under powered compared to my previous 3 litre diesel but it's more than adequate. There's loads of tech in it which I'm still working out but the quality, comfort and smoothness is top notch.

Reactions: Kuku and christuffley
Reactions: christuffley
Christuffley. How about a owners review.
A tfsi might be on the radar. Like the a4 but want better ground clearance and not keen on diesel.

Christuffley. How about a owners review.
A tfsi might be on the radar. Like the a4 but want better ground clearance and not keen on diesel.

What would you like to know in particular mate and I'll answer your questions

Just a general viewpoint after several months ownership.
Likes dislikes etc

To be honest I'm still very happy with it. MPG is c.36-38 on a motorway run with 28mpg around town. The petrol engine doesn't have the torque of the diesel but is still plenty punchy for day to day driving and has ample acceleration when required.
Touch wood I haven't been affected by the clanging brake pedal issues clouding the new Q5 and other than a little vibration from the back seat there are no rattles.
I have the 20" wheels and ride comfort is great on the standard SLINE suspension not sure id want the lowered one tho.
Virtual cockpit is a must IMHO with the tech pack. Navarra Blue is a tricky colour to keep clean but mine is ceramic coated making washing a doddle and a recommendation.
Dislike : there's a bit of turbo lag every now and again in certain driving conditions but nothing terrible.

Cool, thanks for that. Online reviews are just so similar that an owners write up can tell more with fewer words.

I test drove the 2.o petrol recently with a view to replacing my 2015 TDI. I loved it, thought it was a big improvement in feel and handling. Problem I have is that I could have an SQ5 on a lease for the same cost over two years as a PCP on the Sline. Anybody driven an SQ5? You seem to get more as standard.

I’m looking at picking up one of these.

I would really like a s-line with MMI touch and a flat bottomed steering wheel, but all the flat bottomed wheels seem to be in lower spec Q5’s, what’s the score there?

To be honest I'm still very happy with it. MPG is c.36-38 on a motorway run with 28mpg around town. The petrol engine doesn't have the torque of the diesel but is still plenty punchy for day to day driving and has ample acceleration when required.
Dislike : there's a bit of turbo lag every now and again in certain driving conditions but nothing terrible.

Hi Chris,

I'm considering a new Q5 Sline, but I can't decide between the TFSI or TDI engine? Are you still getting similar MPG to your previous post? Did you test the TDI version before deciding on your TFSI? What is your typical annual mileage and driving habits?

Did you test the Q5 with 19" wheels....if so, how did it compare to yours with 20" wheels.......was the ride quality the same?

I currently own an A3 Saloon 1.4 COD TFSI, and I love the performance and quietness of the engine.....plus the fuel economy. I mostly use the car for shortish urban journeys, but also for a couple of long trips to France annually.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Hi Chris,

I'm considering a new Q5 Sline, but I can't decide between the TFSI or TDI engine? Are you still getting similar MPG to your previous post? Did you test the TDI version before deciding on your TFSI? What is your typical annual mileage and driving habits?

I got mine at launch back in March so didn’t get to drive the TDI or the TFSI but I am actually getting (with 99 octane fuel) 42-44mpg on a decent run and around 30ish when I’m extra urban
2740900ec147efd014e9ecfa3b369332.jpg

Typical driving habits are around town but recently due to change of job I am driving 80miles a day with a mix of a roads and the m25 usually with traffic.

Did you test the Q5 with 19" wheels....if so, how did it compare to yours with 20" wheels.......was the ride quality the same?

I didn’t as per the reason above. But I will say I also had the A3 8V on sports suspension and I find the ride on the Q5 very comfortable with the dynamic suspension fitted. Don’t get me wrong over really pot holed roads it’ll get jumpy but that’s the same with any car. I did test drive the x3 and found the ride much firmer and more uncomfortable.

I currently own an A3 Saloon 1.4 COD TFSI, and I love the performance and quietness of the engine.....plus the fuel economy. I mostly use the car for shortish urban journeys, but also for a couple of long trips to France annually.

I loved the COD 1.4 petrol on my A3 as well and would get 45ish with a similar driving style.

The TFSI does miss a little torque if your towing etc but I find it plenty punchy and has a lot of pull

Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Auto...

It’s been lower but to be expected when it takes between 1.5-2hrs to do 7miles

Is it on efficiency or comfort etc. Jesus where do you. Central London I assume

[QUOTE="christuffley, post: 2987406] I got the SLINE with pano roof, tech pack, virtual cockpit and 20" wheels.[/QUOTE]

Following a test drive of a Q5 Sline TFSI yesterday, I negotiated an acceptable deal on the demonstrator, which has exactly the same spec as yours, Chris, and will be collecting it this Friday, which I'm really looking forward to. The only difference to yours, is mine is in Daytona Grey....which I think looks very good.

We also tested the Q5 Sline TDI, and we both preferred the TFSI over the TDI, as the engine is so quiet and very smooth, also very impressed with the ride quality over some rough roads, especially as the TFSI had the 20" wheels option. Also, as our annual mileage is relatively small, we wouldn't get the benefits of having a diesel.

My only concern is the pano roof, as this isn't an option I would've initially considered, so was wondering if you've had any problems with yours, Chris, such as rattles, leaks, noise, etc?

Cheers, Allan

[QUOTE="christuffley, post: 2987406] I got the SLINE with pano roof, tech pack, virtual cockpit and 20" wheels.

Following a test drive of a Q5 Sline TFSI yesterday, I negotiated an acceptable deal on the demonstrator, which has exactly the same spec as yours, Chris, and will be collecting it this Friday, which I'm really looking forward to. The only difference to yours, is mine is in Daytona Grey....which I think looks very good.

We also tested the Q5 Sline TDI, and we both preferred the TFSI over the TDI, as the engine is so quiet and very smooth, also very impressed with the ride quality over some rough roads, especially as the TFSI had the 20" wheels option. Also, as our annual mileage is relatively small, we wouldn't get the benefits of having a diesel.

My only concern is the pano roof, as this isn't an option I would've initially considered, so was wondering if you've had any problems with yours, Chris, such as rattles, leaks, noise, etc?

Cheers, Allan[/QUOTE]

Touch wood it’s been absolutely fine with no raffles, and certainly no leaks. It’s airtight so doesn’t give any additional road noise and the cabin is still lovely and quiet

I love the feeling or light and space and it’s great open in the summer months.

1bc3f29cf31befbd4360587e46f9e2ee.jpg

I had Daytona grey on my old A3 otherwise this would have been my first choice

That's very reassuring, Chris, and I agree that the pano roof certainly gave the cabin a lot more light during our short test drive, which helped with the black head lining of the Sline.

My current A3 is Monsoon Grey, so Daytona is a little darker, and is different enough for me...and I do like grey cars!

That's very reassuring, Chris, and I agree that the pano roof certainly gave the cabin a lot more light during our short test drive, which helped with the black head lining of the Sline.

My current A3 is Monsoon Grey, so Daytona is a little darker, and is different enough for me...and I do like grey cars!

It’s a great car. One thing you should look out for that is affecting some new Q5’s is a slight tinny sound coming from the brake pedal. Look on the myaudiq5 forum. Luckily mine isn’t affected but some are so worth a look before you collect / sign the paperwork.

Many thanks for the link, Chris, and I will certainly check when collecting the car, though I didn't notice any noise from the brake pedal on either the TDI or TFSI I test drove, so will keep my fingers crossed.

Many thanks for the link, Chris, and I will certainly check when collecting the car, though I didn't notice any noise from the brake pedal on either the TDI or TFSI I test drove, so will keep my fingers crossed.

Very welcome
As I say I’m 8000 miles in and still very happy with mine. Make sure you pop her in dynamic and S drive mode as well sometimes (just don’t look as the mpg)

Very welcome
As I say I’m 8000 miles in and still very happy with mine. Make sure you pop her in dynamic and S drive mode as well sometimes (just don’t look as the mpg)

I'd did pop the TFSI into dynamic and S drive mode for a short while on the test drive, and was very impressed with the performance from such a large vehicle but, as you say, I didn't want to look at the mpg gauge!! :anguished: