1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEVER HAD ESP LIGHT ON

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by potter, Jul 1, 2007.

1. potter

potter Member

[Jul 1, 2007]
    Had my 2002 s3 for bout 6 weeks now, with all the wet weather lately i thought i would have had the ESP kick in by now i have tried but no look yet, with it being 4 wheel drive does it really need privoking before it kicks in.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. joe6886

joe6886 Member

[Jul 1, 2007]
    Your not trying hard enough. Mine does'nt really come in from standing start but if you give it some beans round a roundabout it will defo come on. Unless its broke, then you will just plough into the curb.
  4. potter

potter Member

[Jul 1, 2007]
    Is that in dry as well as wet. Note: must try harder!
  5. nky_84

nky_84 6th Gear

[Jul 1, 2007]
    Try a launch in the wet or dry. with the ESP on it will cut the power and the light will flicker. With ESP switched off or broken it will launch pretty cleanly from around 4k. Or go into a roundabout or corner and chuck the steering wheel round to tighten the corner, car will probably understeer and the ESp will dab the brakes to get you back in line.
  6. shineydave

shineydave Member

[Jul 1, 2007]
    i thought it was EDL that dabbed the brakes, ESP reduces the torque from the engine. actually i'm not sure if S3's even have EDL.

*note to self, do a search for EDL*
  7. shineydave

shineydave Member

[Jul 1, 2007]
    so after performing an exhaustive search of the internet leaving no stone unturned it transpires that the S3 has EDL on the front
  8. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

9. potter

potter Member

[Jul 1, 2007]
    I have tried standing start by getting car rolling then flooring it in 1st gear it just squatted a little, gripped and lunched me up the road no wheel spin or ESP light flickering that i noticed i gonna try again.
  10. shineydave

shineydave Member

[Jul 1, 2007]
    yup but i think it's a bit misleading in that it doesn't directly lock the diffs as, for example, on an S2. it brakes the spinning wheel thus forcing all the power to go to the wheel(s) with most traction
  11. nky_84

nky_84 6th Gear

[Jul 2, 2007]

Why get the car rolling first? Do it from a complete stop. If u still get no wheel spin or the feeling of it cutting the power just up the revs a bit. Even better find a bit of grass or gravel an do it there.

As for EDL, never heard of it before now, just know from driving mine that it dabs the brakes if the front starts to wander. I leave the ESP on for toodling around but its straight off if im having a play on a country road etc.
  12. Stewart

Stewart Member

[Jul 2, 2007]
    EDL IS electronic diff lock but only works up to about 25mph as its electronicly operated by the ABS unit.

I had it on my Golf AGU so it will be on the A3's. Not sure if the Haldex equipped cars have it though.
  13. potter

potter Member

[Jul 2, 2007]
    Just been out for a spin the roads are nice and damp, made a mental note before setting off "must try harder" had ESP light flicker on twice, 1st time in a stright line over a drain cover, 2nd time exiting a roundabout. Now dont take my word for it on this next bit as i am colour blind, but 1st time it flickered it was green 2nd time red, im guess 1st time tracion control (wheel spin) 2nd time stability control (understeer).
  14. TheSpaceCowboy

TheSpaceCowboy Member

[Jul 3, 2007]
    Its in the manual, the A3 FWD operates up to 40km/h and the A3 Quattro/S3 operates up to 80km/h. Very handy in the snow!