1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nervous breakdown time.. cement splashes

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by larry1, Jun 23, 2007.

1. larry1

larry1 New Member

[Jun 23, 2007]
    My 2003 BLACK A4 AVANT got splashed with cement somewhere during the week. Cement splashes everywhere! I didnt get the chance to clean at the time. spent 2 hours scratching it off today as carefully as possible but my paintwork is fcuked.. can't believe it. Tried some T cut but it only took the edge of the scratches. Please tell me I dont re a respray job.. help me please
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 19, 2014]

3. a4quat

a4quat Member

[Jun 23, 2007]
    i deliver concrete for a living, what i use on my mixer truck is hydrochloric acid which pulls it off straight away but it makes the paintwork really dull after many uses. NEVER scratch it off!
  4. auditek

auditek Member

[Jun 23, 2007]
    fukt .........paintjob. my van got splatted last year, thought it would knock off. similiar to a leach. nah nah took the paint with it...... so i smashed windows on jcb at weekend, monday it got fixed, did it again following weekend, wankers !
  5. ManicMunky

ManicMunky Member

[Jun 23, 2007]
    find the builders, and sort it out
  6. d3fy

d3fy Active Member

[Jun 23, 2007]
  7. larry1

larry1 New Member

[Jun 24, 2007]
    Not an option.. no idea where it happened.

Regarding the scratches .. any good solutions?
  8. ManicMunky

ManicMunky Member

[Jun 24, 2007]
    can you not retrace your steps? figure out where you've been?
  9. larry1

larry1 New Member

[Jun 24, 2007]
    No point now. too late & how could I prove it
  10. Defratos

Defratos YouÂ’re Dethpicable!!

[Jun 24, 2007]
    I had a similar problem mate, so I feel for you. I was following a cement truck a bit too close and got a few splashes on, clean it off as best as I could but have 3 very fine scratch marks, hope you find a (cheap) solution soon.
  11. 205man

205man Active Member

[Jun 24, 2007]
    you can soak the splashes with hot water/shampoo, and keep soaking them, not letting them dry, the cement will go softer and can can be removed by very gentle rubbing, it may still leave some faint mark but they can be polished out

the other way is to us a jet wash, preferably one with an oscilatting spray and start with jet away from the car slowly moving in until they lift and so not risking paint to much, again then just polish
  12. JamS3

JamS3 Active Member

[Jun 25, 2007]
    Coca Cola contains phosphoric acid which when applied to cement will break it down and make it easier for it to come off, just wash the coke off fully when the cement is off.

This works on clothes also!
  13. DiscoPanda

DiscoPanda Member

[Jun 25, 2007]
    Small amounts of cement (now turned to concrete) will dry up and I imagine will fall off over time with some help from some of the methods mentioned.

Is it noticeable? If not I'd be inclined to leave it alone as removing it could make it worse.
  14. atc

atc Member

[Jun 26, 2007]
    If it were me I'd take the car to a good trusted preferably recomended paint shop (don't panic, not for a respray) and ask them for advice. They have all kinds of clever paint finishers and tools, much better than T-Cut so they should be able to help. It may cost 60-100 to have them buff the car up but it'll be worth it! You could try stuff like rubbing compound or various grades of G fluid but your more likely to do harm than good, a paint finisher will know how far he can go with the laquer before its knackered. I guess worts case would be to have the car re-laqured cheaper than a respray!
  15. mwstewart

mwstewart Member

[Jun 26, 2007]
    I use 1500 grit for the bad scratches, 2000 grit to finish then a cutting compound and buffer followed by a polish.