1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neighbour hit my car whilst parked, what do I do?

CMcKenzie Feb 4, 2013

  1. CMcKenzie

    CMcKenzie It's supposed to do that..

    Hi everyone,
    I returned from the pub Saturday evening to find out a neighbour across the road had reversed off their driveway and hit the rear of my car, which I park on the in front of my house.
    I've never had to go through my insurance to make a claim or anything, so I'm a bit unsure as what to do. She has given me her details, so do I just ring up my insurers and explain to them? do they said someone out to assess the damage? Can I refuse to have it filled and say I want a complete new rear bumper? Or do I not have a say?

    Here's a picture of the damage.


  2. Artimus

    Artimus Shortback

    give your insurance co a ring (have your policy number handy) and explain what happened, tell them your neighbour has admitted liability and give her details, they'll send a form for you to fill in and an assessor will follow with his digital camera.

    Plastic welding is a very effective repair for most bumpers these days, had it on my wifes car after it was rear ended by a Bus, and you still can't see the repair 2 1\2 years on... but as with anything, it really depends on whether the repairer knows what they're doing or not.
  3. quattrokid

    quattrokid Active Member

    IF you do that you'll get tagged for future higher premiums whether it's your fault or not, just ask your neighbour to pay for the damage to your car out of her pocket so neither of you will be affected by insurance questionnaire blx

    You'll still have to admit for the next 5 years any claims whether your fault or not and that will affect you !!
    robbiemac likes this.
  4. CMcKenzie

    CMcKenzie It's supposed to do that..

    Thanks for the quick replies people.
  5. Zak0123

    Zak0123 Active Member

    One 'non fault' claim won't tend to make a difference to future prices, it's when you have 2-3+ you'll see an increase. Obviously if you make a claim that's your fault it's a different story.
  6. Cruiser89

    Cruiser89 Advanced In Car Tech Site Sponsor

    This is the reason why I went through my Audi approved repairer...

    They deal with the whole thing and only contact the 3rd party insurance. Helps avoid getting tagged with the claim for the next few years!

    Poole Accident Repair - Vehicle Body Shop in Dorset

    Give them a call. They may still be able to help. Might have a local place to you!
  7. sidibear

    sidibear Looking for Zombies !! Staff Member Moderator Audi A4

    +1 with Artimus and Cruiser.

    Just for the record, I have three none fault claims and Aviva haven't increased my premium on renewal. I did however, go through an Audi approved repairer and they sorted everything. I also informed Aviva.
  8. Artimus

    Artimus Shortback

    Just to add, you can choose your own repairer, but you'll probably lose out on a courtesy car if your policy included one in the first place! and technically you have to inform your insurance Co of any accident - fault or not.. she might change her mind in a week and claim you reversed into her, so you need to protect yourself against that eventuality.
  9. jojo

    jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator Team Daytona Audi S3 quattro Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

    For the type of damage, I'm sure doing it privately is the most beneficial to both parties way, but you have the hassle of doing some work yourself, claiming off an insurance company means they take the hassle out and do most of the work for you.

    Good neighbour for admitting liability, I wouldn't mind shopping around to help them out.

    If claiming of her insurance, she just needs to make the call and pass on your personal details, your insurance company doesn't need to get involved, she pays the excess, and her insurance company will have a claims management side that will take care of the rest. My missus had her car bumped outside the inlaws on Xmas day a few years ago, neighbour admitted liability, and we got the car repaired with courtesy car and all. I offered to do it privately, but it was a company car, so the neighbour said just go through insurance, he doesn't need top pay for anything.


    Bad neighbour experience aswell from my sister. Accidently slide her car on ice into a parked R reg Ford Ka, value around £500. Excess is £300 plus lose 2 yrs NCB, and increased premiums for 3 years after. Parts off ebay was £150 inc fitting, quote from a local garage to repair with brand new genuine parts was £550. To go through insurance, car will be written off! Neighbour insisted they want to keep the car, and DEMANDED £550 in cash as a settlement. Sister refused and gave her £300 cash or go through insurance. They took the 300, didn't bother repairing car, and now they don't talk to each other anymore....

    Some people huh.
  10. Ste_Nova

    Ste_Nova Active Member

    don't bother ringing your ins cause they will note it down as a claim, if you are claiming deal with hers only, infact let her ring hers and arrange everything, as far as you know your car was never damaged and your parents/wife/gf sorted it while you were on holiday :)
  11. sidibear

    sidibear Looking for Zombies !! Staff Member Moderator Audi A4

    With my recent neighbour incident I got a quote for the repair and gave it to him, he said to go through the insurance and gave me his details. I called Aviva and explained the situation and they passed it to Irwin Mitchell to pursue his insurance. Aviva confirmed that it will not affect my premium as it will be wholey dealt with by his insurance.
  12. Artimus

    Artimus Shortback

    +1 sidi.

    I've always found that undisputed non-fault claims don't hurt your renewal or NCD because all associated costs are met by the 3rd party's cover. you do have to mention it on any renewal application though.

    Where's the Sponsor? they could clear this up in a heartbeat.
  13. Mike_B

    Mike_B Active Member

    You have three choices.

    1) IF you are fully comp. you are supposed to claim through your insurers. They may well assist in recovery of your policy excess but if not, you deal with the tp for recovery of that and any other associated costs (a hire car perhaps). If you go to her insurers you may well find they will ask if you are fully comp, and if so, require you to claim on your own cover. Provided you are able to show "full recovery" then all good and as long as the tp insurers accept their policyholder was liable, (which seems to be clearly the case) this should not affect your bonus or claims history in any way although you will have to declare a claim. When doing so you provide the detals and state "full recovery".

    2) If you are not fully comp, you should of course claim from the tp. Who may choose to allow their insurer to deal with it. Or may try to deal with you directly - which then brings in some potential element of discussion as to the quality / cost of repair of course.

    3) Developing #2, you and the tp could agree amicably to settle it without involving insurers at all. You get the car repaired, she pays you. IF you were comfortable with that, and she and you agree the basis of repair, then all good.

    Good luck - Mike.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  14. Cabbyfan

    Cabbyfan Active Member

    MoreThan increased my renewal to £470 from £300 after I had a non fault, I was stationary at a junction and someone tapped me, less damage than this threat but was a new rear bumper skin at about £800. When I challenged Moerthan they said I was now a higher risk so I told them to stick their premium and I went elsewhere. Robbing bar stewards.
    Zak0123 likes this.
  15. audigex

    audigex Active Member

    Have you made a claim on your insurance in the last 5 years: No, you haven't. Someone else has made a claim on their insurance for your car

    Have you been involved in an accident in the last 5 years: No, you haven't. Your car has, but you were nowhere near it.

    As far as I'm aware, you only have to declare it if you claimed on your own insurance (fault or not) or if you were in the car at the time (because even if it was someone else's fault, you were involved). If your car was parked up, you have no liability and no need to declare it. It's probably worth mentioning it to your insurance just to be sure, but I don't believe that you're withholding anything if you answer those questions in that way.

Share This Page