Need to uprgade clutch and flywheel - Audi S3 8P2 (Sachs maybe?) in Southampton area

T3KT0N1K

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new here, but have been reading the threads for a few days. You all seem real nice and knowledgable, so I'm hoping I'll find someone in the Hampshire area that can help.

Basically, I've done the stereotypical get stage 1 at the GTI International show, boild and fry clutch on the 1/4 mile. It's still driveable and I've been using it to get to and from work no probs, but the clutch slips around 3000rpm, so I reckon I need it replaced. This is the first clutch problem I've ever experienced though, but research suggests it needs doing and Sachs' the way to go.

So my initial questions to you all are, do you agree Sachs is the way forward and if so, where have you guys had it done in the Southampton area? Has it had an adverse affect on the drivability of the car, such as excessive stiffness in the clutch peddle or increased cabin noise?

I wanna keep the spend below £1,000 if possible, but would really like to ensure that the car can handle all the power of stage 1 I can chuck at it, as well as stage 2+ if I decide to go down that route in future.

Thanks in advance for all your help :)

Last edited:
Hiya. Cheers for pointing that out. It's a 2007 Audi S3 8P2. I've updated the thread title now :icon_thumright:

Very much doubt you'll keep it under 1k unless you can fit it yourself. Parts alone will almost come towards that RRP.

If you stay below Stg3,then the Sachs organic and DMF will work fine(if you run it in for a while reasonably gently),and will feel much like the stock clutch.

The Loba and SMF are tougher and will cope with more abuse,but you will get some chatter at idle from the SMF,but you won't noitce it on the move.

Thanks for your responses guys.

bmh.01: I'm awaiting a quote from AMD in Woking regarding a Sachs clutch kit and single mass Loba flywheel combo. Called them at Lunch time. Was hoping they'd have called me by now. :-/

S3Alex: I followed your "CLICK HERE....Just another 500bhp S3" link. I haven't read through every page, but it looks like you've got a tamed monster there. Impressive stuff! I'd like to think I'll be able to go for the single mass Loba as, if I understand the mechanics of it all correctly, it'll improve responsiveness and acceleration by reduced weight. Is that correct? Is there anything else I should consider? I mean, it's all good and well having a clutch and flywheel that can take all my car can possibly throw at it (with its current spec) but, will my gearbox explode for example?

Reactions: S3Alex
Thanks for your responses guys.

bmh.01: I'm awaiting a quote from AMD in Woking regarding a Sachs clutch kit and single mass Loba flywheel combo. Called them at Lunch time. Was hoping they'd have called me by now. :-/

S3Alex: I followed your "CLICK HERE....Just another 500bhp S3" link. I haven't read through every page, but it looks like you've got a tamed monster there. Impressive stuff! I'd like to think I'll be able to go for the single mass Loba as, if I understand the mechanics of it all correctly, it'll improve responsiveness and acceleration by reduced weight. Is that correct? Is there anything else I should consider? I mean, it's all good and well having a clutch and flywheel that can take all my car can possibly throw at it (with its current spec) but, will my gearbox explode for example?

If you want a quick response,and a Loba dealer,call AMDTuning at Lakeside and speak to Ben.

AMDTuning(or AMD Essex) are not associated with other parts of the AMD network,and are the only ones I can vouch for in any case,but are well worth the extra journey time.

Thanks for the kind words about my car.....I don't think you'll notice a whole lot of difference in the way the car responds with an SMF,but what you will have is something much more robust.

I think that up to the lower end of Stg3,the Loba is about the most usable and road friendly clutch you'll get,and robust enough as well,and to get more than that you'd be looking at something like mine,which is basically a race clutch for the road.

The gearbox is surprisingly good for something that wasn't designed with huge torque in mind,and mine lasted well into Stg3 before needing the bearings and selector forks replacing,so that's a reasonable testament.
The rest of the engine is good for up to 440bhp/440lbs before you need to start working on the internals,but the brakes and suspension need a lot of work if you start upping the power.

This sounds like great advice Alex, thanks. So far, everything about this car, including the car itself (with the exception of the insurance n tax) is on credit. So I wanna keep me spend as low as possible, ensuring that the car can be driven hard at stage 1 spec for now. Perhaps in the future I'll go stage 2+. But right now, I just want it to be faster than stock but just as reliable. That said, I'm not gonna take your advice and run. I'll be frequenting this forum for some time to come.

Cheers guys.

Regal Motorsport are in Southampton - worth a shout. They did some work on my bro's Stage 2+ Cupra and he was very happy, as well as enjoying the selection of 911's they had in too...

I had the Sachs/Loba SMF kit fitted earlier this week. It's a fairly heavy clutch with a high biting point, it's not the best of clutches when sitting in traffic and is very different to the standard clutch.

The positives definitely outweigh the negatives, you get used to it very quickly, it feels much more robust, and the bite you get in each gear is fantastic, the car goes like a stabbed rat now.

So I had a look on AMD Essex website. It's £1,407 installed, without clutch release bearing! :faint:

Check it out...

LOBA Motorsport LOBA-Sachs VAG 2.0 TFSI / TDI Stage 2 upgrade clutch kit (4WD) for Audi S3 265 quattro 2.0T

I was reeeeaallly hoping to get the whole thing done and dusted for somewhere around the £1k mark. I figured that, if I could order the parts on the cheap from eBay and possibly call in a favor from a friend of a friend (in the mechincal trade), I might be able to get it done for £1k.

Can any of you advise me on how to identify the correct upgrade parts for my car? I believe I've got an S3 8P2 and I think I'm pretty much settled on a Sachs organic 550nm cluth and Loba single mass flywheel. But I want to make sure that there're no varients of these parts and that there are no varients on the gearbox etc in the S3, so that I know it'll all fit and work.

Please keep in mind, I'm a novice to all this, but very techinically minded. I just need to gain knowledge.

So I had a look on AMD Essex website. It's £1,407 installed, without clutch release bearing! :faint:

Check it out...

LOBA Motorsport LOBA-Sachs VAG 2.0 TFSI / TDI Stage 2 upgrade clutch kit (4WD) for Audi S3 265 quattro 2.0T

I was reeeeaallly hoping to get the whole thing done and dusted for somewhere around the £1k mark. I figured that, if I could order the parts on the cheap from eBay and possibly call in a favor from a friend of a friend (in the mechincal trade), I might be able to get it done for £1k.

Can any of you advise me on how to identify the correct upgrade parts for my car? I believe I've got an S3 8P2 and I think I'm pretty much settled on a Sachs organic 550nm cluth and Loba single mass flywheel. But I want to make sure that there're no varients of these parts and that there are no varients on the gearbox etc in the S3, so that I know it'll all fit and work.

Please keep in mind, I'm a novice to all this, but very techinically minded. I just need to gain knowledge.

Nothing comes cheap on these cars,and if it does,it usually won't last.

None of the clutches come in much under that.

You can get that kit for £899 from GNJ as posted above, and a release bearing from Audi for circa £60. You'll not get that kit fitted for £1,000 unless you know someone who'll fit it for you on the cheap.

Totally agree Gilberto. That's why I just spoke with Ben at AmD Tuning Essex and booked in for £1,310 all up. Anyone planning on being there on Wednesday 7th August?

Nice one. That's around what I paid. It's a great mod.

Totally agree Gilberto. That's why I just spoke with Ben at AmD Tuning Essex and booked in for £1,310 all up. Anyone planning on being there on Wednesday 7th August?

Good result.

I may be around,or the car may be there!

Sweet Oden's raven! Next time you Rob a bank Alex, I want in. You got that?!

Reactions: S3Alex
I don't doubt that. Hey, perhaps I'll manage to persuade them to drop a zero off or something. After all, they're making £1,310 out of me because of you. That's gotta be worth something.

I don't doubt that. Hey, perhaps I'll manage to persuade them to drop a zero off or something. After all, they're making £1,310 out of me because of you. That's gotta be worth something.

Persuade them to drop 2 zeros and I'd be very happy.

I dont like to think of adding it all up!

I'll see what I can do! lol

Looking forward to seeing it for sure though. Any idea what your cars stats are gonna go up to?