Need some service advice

dragonstyle

Reaction score
hi guys

im a new member and i was wondering if some people could help me with some questions please?

my car has just done over 100k

• how often shud i service my car in a year?
  • what is the haldex oil? and how often should it be changed?
  • what engine oil do you use?
  • are there any other oils and lubricants i should regularly check and top up?
  • after startup is it true i shouldnt drive the car to hard as the engine has be driven around and warmed up?...how long shud i leave the running on start up?
  • before exiting the car should how long should i wait for the engine to cool down? and is it true that i need to wait a bit longer after driving hard say on the motorway?
thanks guys i hope you can help as i really want to look after my car as this is the first every sports performance car ive EVER owned so far

how often shud i service my car in a year?
Answer: 6-8k

what is the haldex oil? and how often should it be changed?
Answer: If its ruuning ok i'd leave it, Audi do recommend regular intervals though (mines done 118k, never changed it)

what engine oil do you use?
Answer: No cheap oil, 0w40 or 10w40, longlife 5w30 is pointless on a car over 100k plus you'd be changing it at at regular intervals

are there any other oils and lubricants i should regularly check and top up?
Answer: Just check your engine oil frequently, every 1k. Keep an eye on your coolant level

after startup is it true i shouldnt drive the car to hard as the engine has be driven around and warmed up?...how long shud i leave the running on start up?
Answer: True, i alway take it easy until my coolant temp moves to around 70 oC

before exiting the car should how long should i wait for the engine to cool down? and is it true that i need to wait a bit longer after driving hard say on the motorway?
Answer: Take it easy and keep it out of boost for the last couple of miles or so

Enjoy your ownership:)

cheers for the feedback sandip - is there any particular engine oils u can recommend? mobil, castrol synthetic????

before exiting the car should how long should i wait for the engine to cool down? and is it true that i need to wait a bit longer after driving hard say on the motorway?
Answer: Take it easy and keep it out of boost for the last couple of miles or so

in that answer do you mean before i come to a stop i should calm down on the boosts on the turbo so it can cool down sooner???

in that answer do you mean before i come to a stop i should calm down on the boosts on the turbo so it can cool down sooner???

Yup, like he said, just take it easy and drive under boost for a short while before switching the car off - 5 minutes of slow driving is more than enough. And yes, it helps the turbo cool down.

With regard to the oils: I'm in SA, so we tend to go for different oils because of our higher ambient temperatures - but I'd go for fully synthetic. All our brands are pretty good, I imagine it'd be the same over there.

Congrats on the purchase - sure you'l have lots of fun. :racer:

Haldex oil should be changed every 20k miles, and the Haldex filter every 40k miles, or the performance/life of your Haldex will suffer in the long run.

after startup is it true i shouldnt drive the car to hard as the engine has be driven around and warmed up?...how long shud i leave the running on start up?
Answer: True, i alway take it easy until my coolant temp moves to around 70 oC

Sandip, the coolant temp and the oil temps are 2 different things. Ideally you would want the coolant temps to be nearer the 90degreeC mark, and the oil would take a bit longer to get upto optimum temps., before you start going full throttle.

Sandip, the coolant temp and the oil temps are 2 different things. Ideally you would want the coolant temps to be nearer the 90degreeC mark, and the oil would take a bit longer to get upto optimum temps., before you start going full throttle.

You know how i treat my car joe, it hardly ever see's full throttle:)

Point taken though, the coolant temp is totally different to oil temp, much safer to wait till the needle reaches 90oC

cheers for the feedback sandip - is there any particular engine oils u can recommend? mobil, castrol synthetic????

I use mobil, i use 10w40 in summer and 0w40 in winter, you don't have to change grades but i prefer to as my car tends to burn 0w40 in summer more than the 10w40.

Using Mobil or Castrol 10w40 is a good overall winner though, Motul is also a good oil but i haven't used it myself.

As for the cooling down, aslong as your last couple of miles have been nice and easy you can turn the car off pretty much when you want to, you don't have to let it tick over, the after run pump is there to help the steady cooling process

i just topped up my engine oil with castrol magnatec 10w40 - is this ok lads?

Thats fine, when did it last have its last oil change? If its been a while i'd flush it, new oil filter and put some fresh magnatec in.
Then change it every 6-8k, it'll run nice n sweet:)
Would be nice to see a picture of your ride