Need some help lads!!!!!! Audi + Lorry = FAIL

Azizur_Rahman

Reaction score
I am posting on behalf of my mate who has an audi a3.

Basically, we were both sat at the traffic lights, waiting for green. behind us on the right was a road leading to an industrial site. The lorry driver took the turn too wide and the back end hit my mates car. This caused the rear quarter to tear open etc. The lorry driver shot off while we got out of the car and shouting for him. We set off to track down the lorry and some helpful pedestrians and driver helped us track him down. We got the witnesses details etc. and the lorry driver when questioned put his hands up and said fair enough it was his fault. we got the detaisl, and because the guy was under business insurance we had to make do with the busienss insurance details.

However, my mate has had his glass tinted the previous day and also he had also put on the S3 kit, and the insurance doesnt know, he was goint to tell them this afternoon.

What the question really is, will my friend get penolised for him not declaring the mods, even if it is the third partys fault. I mean he's not bothered if they dont pay for the recovery of the mods, but he is just worried if the third parties insurance will say your car is modified we will not repair your car. Or has that got nothign to do with the third party.

Will the the third party contact my friends insurance? and tell them about the mods?

Thank You

Input will be greatly appreciated, and please no comments about him not declarign the mods etc. as he was going to that very day.

Last edited:
IMO (so not neccessarily fact) I'd say your mate won't get the money (for mods) back, even if they were declared. The lorry driver has admitted fault, and your mate would only be in trouble with the insurance if the mods affected the performance/roadworthiness of the car and might be deemed to have caused the crash in the first place.
Interestingly, the lorry drivers insurance will now be invalid (which should please his employers no end) as you should never admit fault at the scene, even if it is clearly your fault.

Interestingly, the lorry drivers insurance will now be invalid (which should please his employers no end) as you should never admit fault at the scene, even if it is clearly your fault.

I'm sorry, what?!

I was told that by the police!

Looking for confirmation...

http://www.trafficaccidentadvice.co.uk/deciding-who-is-responsible-for-a-traffic-accident.html

Admitting Fault

First things first, don't admit that you are to blame for the collision. Insurance companies take a dim view of people who admit liability, and even if you feel that it is your fault you shouldn't offer to take the blame at the scene. Remember that it's up to investigators to figure out what happened and who to point the finger at. You can provide the insurance company with a full statement later on and let them take the appropriate course of action.

Why Shouldn't I Admit Fault if I Think I am to Blame?

If the other driver is pushing you to admit fault remember that if you admit liability when you aren't to blame then you run the risk of losing any compensation you might have got from injuries sustained in the accident, and depending on the level of car insurance you have, you may end up without a car or a settlement payment.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, what?!

That's correct, you should never admit liability at the side of the road. That is what insurance companies are paid to do, they get the facts and then rule in favour of whoever wasn't at fault by the information provided (in theory anyway).

To the OP, how did you manage to let an HGV get away from you? Was the car not drivable after the prang?

There's a big difference between this:

Admitting Fault

First things first, don't admit that you are to blame for the collision. Insurance companies take a dim view of people who admit liability, and even if you feel that it is your fault you shouldn't offer to take the blame at the scene. Remember that it's up to investigators to figure out what happened and who to point the finger at. You can provide the insurance company with a full statement later on and let them take the appropriate course of action.

Why Shouldn't I Admit Fault if I Think I am to Blame?

If the other driver is pushing you to admit fault remember that if you admit liability when you aren't to blame then you run the risk of losing any compensation you might have got from injuries sustained in the accident, and depending on the level of car insurance you have, you may end up without a car or a settlement payment.

This:

That's correct, you should never admit liability at the side of the road. That is what insurance companies are paid to do, they get the facts and then rule in favour of whoever wasn't at fault by the information provided (in theory anyway).

To the OP, how did you manage to let an HGV get away from you? Was the car not drivable after the prang?

And stating this:

:no:

Wont stand up in court, happened to me.. The kid admitted liability, i told my insurance he said that and they said doesnt mean anything, no proof whatsover. i could of held a gun to his head and made him say it.. oh and he said i was speeding... ahem.. They said that wont stand either as there is no proof and what does his judement stand as?

Well if i was him, do not go through his own insurance, wait for the lorry drivers insurance to come to him, they may see its blatantly his fault especially with the witnesses and offer to sort his car for him, thats happened with me before but i told them to ram it as they were offering a ford KA as courtesy car. They sort your car, they dont know about the kit and dont care as its a damn site cheaper to go direct to you that your insurance firm screwing them for admin fees, cost etc..

Update:

Luckily the third party insurers have just got back to him and said they will repair the car and provide him with a hire vehicle like for like. Lucky #!*% is going to get to drive the latest audi lol. The third party insurance will also pay for the mods liek his s3 bumper but it has to be like for like, which it is.

There's a big difference between this:

This:

And stating this:

:no:

You maybe right i maybe wrong or vice versa, whatever.. I'm explaining what i have been told by a traffic officer so i/we would like to think he knows what he is talking about seeing as though he is part of the UKs finest.

Touch wood, the majority of us won't be in this situation.

:icon_thumright:

You maybe right i maybe wrong or vice versa, whatever.. I'm explaining what i have been told by a traffic officer so i/we would like to think he knows what he is talking about seeing as though he is part of the UKs finest.

Touch wood, the majority of us won't be in this situation.

:icon_thumright:

I wasn't disagreeing with you mate, I was saying that d3mon was wrong.

Are opinions banned here?

Not at all, but your opinion in the second sentence appears to be given as a fact. And it's wrong.

People are wrong all the time and there's nothing wrong with that. I have been wrong many times and have always said so after the event (I wish others would do the same) but you have to be careful on forums when it comes to making such a MASSIVE statement. The implications of someone reading that statement and believing could be pretty big so if you're not sure then just add 'I think...' :icon_thumright:

I do aologise Azizur, you should probably disregard that last part of my previous post. I'm glad it's working out OK for your friend.