1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some advice.

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by jojo, Oct 31, 2011.

1. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

So having read about the BLB balancer shaft and oil pump issues in the thread below, I'm after some advice.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s...7-2-0-tdi-oil-pump-balance-shaft-failure.html

I've been offered an 08 plate Avant 2.0 TDI Multitronic on 80k miles from a mate. It was last serviced with a cambelt change, and precautionary oil pump change 7k miles ago.

Now I've been trying to avoid this engine for quite a while, but this one has come up for the right money! Will the oil pump change mean it's going to be good for the next say 50k miles? Obviously if something going to break due to wear and tear, no one can do anything about it, but specifically, will the balancer shaft/oil pump be an issue, or am I looking at a timebomb of a car judging from the replies in the thread above?
  2. SebastianMs35

SebastianMs35 New Member

Hello . Me I have the problem with oil presure. I went to audi dealer to fix the problem and they told me the oil pump is not good so u have to change to a new one. I told them ok , you can do the job , they change the oil pump then after that they call to go there to collect the car , I start the engine I drove the car only 150 yards and I went back to dealer coz the car is running very bad. So I went back and they told me maybe we forget to connect a lead or somnthing minor. I left the car with them , after 24 hours I went back to pick up the car and they told me , we cant not give you the car back today coz we forget to do the balance shaft alignment , I left the car with them , then after one week they told me my turbo is damage needs to be replace , I told them ok , replace the turbo, after 6 weeks my car seating in the garage they call me and told me my car is ready ,total cost it was about £2900 , I to k the car out from there , everything ok for 3 months , after 3 months the same problem is back , oil presure, I tock the car back to them and explain to them I face the same problem as 3 months ago , . The fact is now they don't want to do the relate under warranty , they want me to pay again for the job they done 3 month ago , and they told me it's the balance shaft girs the problem at this time and them they did not do the gear when they change the oil pump , they did not change coz the want to save some money for me , but they never told me the fact if you change the oil pump you have to change the gears as well . They never told me that and they tock the decision on them on with dout my permission and knowledge , they don't want to Cary on the job by warranty of the parts and they don't want to admit them folt
  3. Fahim

Fahim Member

Hi JoJo.

Correct me if i'm wrong but the oil pump and balance shaft failure is only related to 2005 model A4 B7's and a handful of early 2006 model A4's. The oil pump was then revised and was later gear driven rather than chain driven. The culprit engine codes are BLB and a few BRE i believe.

Why was your friends vehicle's oil pump changed as a precaution? There isn't any problems post mid 2006 IIRC.

The multitronic boxes however are notorious for being rubbish and can lead to massive bills. Search for further information as i'm not quite up to scratch on them.

Hope this helps.
  4. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

Reading through the complete BLB balancer shaft thread, some BRE 07 plate cars suffered from low oil pressure problems, but I'm not 100% if it's the actual same problem or related to the BLB engines setup.

Regarding the oil pump, he's a good friend, so I told him about the engine problems, and when he had the cambelt changed @MidlandVW, they recommended him change the oil pump at the same time as a precaution, and he agreed after I told him the potential problems.

I will look into the gearbox problems, it felt fine and pretty good when I took it for a spin.

It's looking more likely I won't purchase it though, as I'm having doubts, and that's not a good thing! :(