Need some advice on parts - B7 avant sline 1.9tdi 55 plate

damodici

Reaction score
Hi All,

Hopefully somebody can help me with an idea on a list of parts to buy as I have a friend coming round this weekend to help spanner the car (I'm mechanically challenged) and as it's the Mrs who drives the car to and from work I need to get this sorted for her to stop worrying

What's set this off is a drop in power last weekend which was almost like a limp home mode, I had a really decent chap come round who ran a diagnostic with vcds and it didn't show up an egr fault it showed a slight fault on all 4 glow plugs (car still starts but juddering at low revs to start) but he did also suspect that it could be the turbo vanes so currently I'm running the car with a strong mix of millers power eco max.

Took it out last night for a prolonged run at fairly high revs where I kept coming in and out the boost and it didn't drop out again, hopefully a few more runs out this week while she's catching the bus and I'll have that cleared out.

Anyway my friend used to be a rally mechanic back in the day so he said he'll come round and give everything a good once over (egr etc) but he also suggest while we're at it to get a load more bits and we get the car up to date.

So I've been looking at www.mister-auto.co.uk for things like glow plugs, wiper blades (front and rear) and discs and pads.

In the main I've kinda initially picked bosch for the glow plugs and wiper blades as I figured they're a well known brand, although I see some have moaned about bosch wiper blades (older threads) so now I'm not sure.

Also on the pads I notice that they list two different fitments, ones that are for 'lucas / girling' and ones that are for Ate/teves?

First up what recommendations do you have for the glow plugs, are bosch ok for them?

Then what about wiper blades, if bosch aren't any good is it Valeo I should be buying (oem aren't they?)

Finally how to find out which type of pads I need and whether to also just do the discs as well for a belt and braces approach?

Apologies it might all sound very naive but when it comes to cars I'm not really as sure as I am with motorbikes which are more 'my thing'

Cheers

Well what you change depends how much you like the car, & how far you can push your friends goodwill ;)

Bosch aero are great wipers, I use them & never had any problems.

I think NGK glow plugs are the best choice for your engine.

Discs depends on how worn they are? Maybe ask your mate to take a look before he comes out to do the work. As for make, unless your missus drives like Lewis Hamilton any main stream will be fine (I use pagid discs & pads from eurocarparts, just had front discs warp on mine but replaced under warranty)

When was the last time your brake fluid was changed? Every 2 years is a good time scale to do this as it does degrade over time.

Cant go wrong with oil, oil filter & air filter change.

How many miles has the car covered? Maybe consider timing belt/chain replacement (pushing the luck with friends goodwill here!),

Well what you change depends how much you like the car, & how far you can push your friends goodwill ;)

Bosch aero are great wipers, I use them & never had any problems.

I think NGK glow plugs are the best choice for your engine.

Discs depends on how worn they are? Maybe ask your mate to take a look before he comes out to do the work. As for make, unless your missus drives like Lewis Hamilton any main stream will be fine (I use pagid discs & pads from eurocarparts, just had front discs warp on mine but replaced under warranty)

When was the last time your brake fluid was changed? Every 2 years is a good time scale to do this as it does degrade over time.

Cant go wrong with oil, oil filter & air filter change.

How many miles has the car covered? Maybe consider timing belt/chain replacement (pushing the luck with friends goodwill here!),

He's a good friend and one I help out on a business level so I don't foresee any issues there :)

Ultimately it's my car (I pay for it anyway) but the Mrs just uses it for work and /or taking the kids out.

Cars only covered 69000miles and was fully serviced mid last year so all filters 'should have' been done but you never know these days, I guess fluid wouldn't have been done so could maybe have that done at the same time as the pads

I'll get him to check the discs this week so maybe leave them until later but I still don't know what pads I need, will it say on the calipers somewhere?

No it wont but it should say on the pads themselves if not worn away. Where did you get the information on the two different types of fitments from?

Just bang your registration into online car parts supplier and see what they come up with for pads/discs. If the different fitments are due to different disc size opions on your car (like mine) you wont know which you need until the discs are off and you can measure the size of discs. Had this issue with mine, all the garages said the same, "need to get discs off and measure them before we can order new ones for you".

Just bang your registration into online car parts supplier and see what they come up with for pads/discs. If the different fitments are due to different disc size opions on your car (like mine) you wont know which you need until the discs are off and you can measure the size of discs. Had this issue with mine, all the garages said the same, "need to get discs off and measure them before we can order new ones for you".

Yep thats what i did with the mister auto, having looked ta it you're right, the different discs seem to vary in size between 280-288mm

The pads have fitment listed as Lucas/Girling or ATE/Teves (all of which sound like footballers to me)

[
Yep thats what i did with the mister auto, having looked ta it you're right, the different discs seem to vary in size between 280-288mm

The pads have fitment listed as Lucas/Girling or ATE/Teves (all of which sound like footballers to me)

ha ha yes they do don't they.

Its rubbish that this is how things are with ordering pads and discs, lets hope your local supplier has them in stock on the day you need them!

[

ha ha yes they do don't they.

Its rubbish that this is how things are with ordering pads and discs, lets hope your local supplier has them in stock on the day you need them!

I'll whip a wheel off later and have a look, think i'll order the glow plugs anyway, not sure what the difference is between the NGK versions they sell, i guess if i just buy the BKE engine code they'll be better than what we have.