1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need new ECU - Help!

Discussion in 'Diesel forum' started by andyjg, May 28, 2007.

1. andyjg

andyjg New Member

My 1994 A6 2.5 TDi 5 cyl with it's poor cold starting (see earlier thread) had bee diagnosed by main dealer as requiring a new engine management unit (£1400 + VAT - ouch).

They have made a fix which disconnects a sensor on the top hose coming out of the head which fools the ECU into thinking it's cold and forces the glow plugs to come on. Starting is much better with this arrangement, but by no means fixed. It also pretty much makes the car un-saleable.

Any ideas where I can get a replacement unit without remortgaging the house?

Cheers

Andy
  2. Caesium

Caesium My BM is fixed!

Try an Audi breakers just do a google.
    Although surely if your ECU thinks the engine is cold all the time then the glow plugs will burn out pretty quick. sounds more like a duff sensor.

If they have disconnected the sensor and bridged it/left it open circuit then the ECU is interpreting this and adjusting as necessary, sounds a bit fishy to me. Get a second opinion.
  3. moschino

moschino Member

Andy,

Try the following contact, they haev always been helpful in the past. Don't forget to give them as much info as possible. i.e. Part no, car details, possibly a picture of the ECU.
    They can post the item to you.

Overton Dismantlers
    Overton Garage Ltd
    off Dyce Drive
    Aberdeen
    Scotland AB21 0EQ
    Tel: 00.44.1224.722354
    Parts Fax: 00.44.1224.775451
    General Fax:00.44.1224.722457
    Email : sales@overtongarage.co.uk

Regards,

Jim Scott.