1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need more reliable power- S3

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by aterro, Jan 24, 2014.

1. aterro

aterro Banana Armour

[Jan 24, 2014]
    Basically the above.

Im currently running stage 1 with filter and tip, and in all honesty its not as quick as i hoped.
    ( this isn't down to the cars performance, its performing fine and the engine is perfect)
    ( its due to me getting used to it, and having bigger powered cars)

If i carnt get the car to a better reliable power, then ill sell up for a e46 M3....

By "better reliable power" i mean;
    just as reliable as now and quicker haha

I don't want to do any internal engine modifications, just external mods, e.g. turbo, manifold, fmic etc.

Id like the car to pull more, and just have more power in all honesty.

So what are my best options?

Turbo wise? TFSI turbo? What turbo are these? Or a hybrid straight fit unit to a S3 8L?

I don't care about figures, just how it responds.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. kwistof

kwistof South East Events Moderator Regional Rep

[Jan 24, 2014]
    You won't be going above 300bhp/320lbfts if that's the case - and if you do it won't be reliable and will be a ticking time bomb with OEM rods.

Rods would definitely need to be forged if you want to start talking about hybrid K04s and TFSI conversions and going for a lot more power.
  4. JD09

JD09 I'm not modding, I'm improving VCDS Map User

[Jan 24, 2014]
    Is it definitely running OK? As with a similar setup (map and a B5 TIP) I have 270 ish horse power, which is enough to see off a lot of other road users, ergo plenty fast for now. Useable power I mean.

The cars are heavy, because of the Quattro. When you say you're use to faster cars, what out of interest? Just wondering if you're like me and have come from "fast" Renaults that feel fast because of their poor build quality, but in real world are slower than the Panzers...!
  5. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

[Jan 24, 2014]
    If you are a power hunter An e46 M3 is not for you..they are just too refined, and would soon get bored.
    If you are not prepared to do internal engine work, you are at a stalemate and i would go for something Jap, supra etc....
  6. JD09

JD09 I'm not modding, I'm improving VCDS Map User

[Jan 24, 2014]
    Agreed. Or lighter. Cupra R with the same mods would be quicker in gear due to less weight, I presume?
  7. aterro

aterro Banana Armour

[Jan 24, 2014]
    so without rods ( i presume they are easy to bend with more power) i carnt really get much more significant power?

So if i ran a hybrid unit or TFSI turbo;

id need; (my presumption)

Forged rods- PEC ETC
    ARP bolts
    Custom map
    Turbo unit itself
    Manifold,down pipe into a exhaust system.
    Bigger injectors and a bigger FPR? ( i don't know what standard FPR reg is)

i Best get researching then :)
  8. badger5

badger5 www.badger5.co.uk Site Sponsor

[Jan 25, 2014]
    rifle drilled forged rods..
  9. Westy

Westy Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

[Jan 25, 2014]
    You can also through in a new clutch, FMIC, and probably either a new in-tank fuel pump and/or an inline pump.
  10. antwan64og

antwan64og Member

[Jan 25, 2014]
    Since you're in Leicester you have good people nearby :thumbsup:
  11. aterro

aterro Banana Armour

[Jan 25, 2014]
    Who would you recommend?
  12. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

[Jan 25, 2014]
    The issue here, as I see it, is that without fitting rods, what you actually want is the SMALLEST turbo possible, that is still capable of giving you the power you want.

Fitting a bigger turbo, then running it at lower boost, may well net you decent bhp, but very low torque due to the low boost, so as a result it won't 'feel' as urgent.

Running a smaller turbo like the existing ko4 closer to it's limit should still land you just inside the 'safe' rod window, and give you the aggressive kind of power it sounds like you want.

when I run my ko4-064 (tfsi) at just 1 bar, I get around 300bhp, but only around 260lbft, so it's incredibly linear and smooth, not overly punchy. run at 1.5 bar it produces almost another 100lbft, and feels incredibly punchy, but of course, you're into 350bhp+ power at that point and in desperate need of rods.

If you want to keep it stock internally, I'd suggest a decent compliment of st2 mods with the ko4.

if you want more, fit rods, and the tfsi k04 and associated parts, it's truly fantastic :)
    Westy and flying oyster like this.
  13. antwan64og

antwan64og Member

[Jan 26, 2014]
    Rtech and Badger5 are highly recommended VAG tuners in the UK, rtech are in leicester and the badger set is near Gloucester