Need hids but which ones??

Chriscooke

Clueless!
Reaction score
Website
www.sxoc.com
Ive had enough of the poor excuse for headlights on my qts. Can people with experience please link me to some good value and effective kits, im looking at 6000k kits currently as thats whati have fitted in my other car and love them..

Is there a how to guide on here anywhere?

Can't say I've seen a HID how to on here, but can reccomend a company called HIDs direct near Manchester. Go for 5 or 6000k for the best light output.

Though fitting is really easy :) gimme a shout if you need a hand mate

I know people will tell you to use genuine but it's not always possible.
I have fitted some from halk alarms. They are their own branded kits with a 2 year warranty
on the ballasts and the lamps. I have 6k on my avant and the light output is excellent.
Have them for about 14 months now with no issues and plug and play install so only takes about an hour to fit.
From what I remember I think they cost about 40-45 a set, so good value

4300 is the best output, make sure they have cancellers fitted as the ballast resistors help prevent bulb out warnings and flickering

I had a cheap 6000 kit in my old passat about £30 of eBay they were very good I had the car 6 years never had any bother with them I would of put them in my a3 by now but been put of by wiper motor stories

Cheers guys, only part I'm worried about is removing the headlights but expect itll be obvious when I actually look.

changing the bulbs to HID's easy, you'll know what to do, also there's a recess under each lamp for the ballasts :D

Cheers guys, only part I'm worried about is removing the headlights but expect itll be obvious when I actually look.

Dont think you will need to remove the headlamps, I didn't anyway.
The hid ballast normally has two leads, one connects to the existing bulb plug
and the other connects to the new bid bulb.
You will probably have to drill a hole in the plastic cover after you take it off the back of the headlight.
And then fit a rubber grommit which is normally supplied to keep the headlight waterproof

You shouldn't have to remove the lights no

You can fit them without taking the lights out but if you want to mount the ballasts in the proper tray under the lights then you will need to take the lights out which also means taking the bumper off etc.
do you have face lift head lights? As of course you need projector lens

You dont need to remove the bumper to remove the headlights i did mine the other week and you can just about get them out, personally ive always used cheap kits and the ballasts seam to go when the temp drops, personally if you can get a set of genuine s4/rs4 units for a good price then id do that then just swap out the DS2 4300 bulbs to the 5000 DS2's, i must of bought 2 sets and 2 replacement ballasts so id do it proper first time.

I thought facelift headlights have a screw hidden underneath below the bumper line? So that why you have to remove the bumper.
I'm not sure about pre facelift lights though

Facelifts have a bracket that the lug on the head light sits in the other bolt is behind the indicator of the headlight which is accesible with a long extension and socket then you can just about clear it past the bumper and out. Cant remember if PF are the same style.

Reactions: 205man
Thanks for the info as was going to fit new ones to mine this weekend, I was going to take bumper and fit new alternator belt at the same time, but if I can do it with bumper in place then i might forget the belt lol