1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with using a Multimeter to test for battery drain

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by doublem_1, Apr 12, 2012.

1. doublem_1

doublem_1 Member

[Apr 12, 2012]
    I have aquired a multimeter off of a neighbour so that I can check the amperage of the suspected draw on the battery. I understand I should take the negative terminal off and check between them but really don't know what I am doing, what setting to use etc. Plus, what would be a normal reading because I suspect there would be a small draw on modern cars. Has anyone any experience of doing this? And if so care to share the valuable knowledge :)
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 1, 2014]

3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[Apr 12, 2012]
  4. Nick090884

Nick090884 Member

[Apr 12, 2012]
    Hi there mate to measure the ampere being used you need to put your meter in line with the pos , if you using a auto range meter its will give use the reading straight away. if your using a meter with manual range start with mili amp. it shouldnt been any higher with the car off.

hope this helps
  5. Markeyboy

Markeyboy Fan of the R-Tech!

[Apr 12, 2012]
    also make sure you use the hightst Amp range to start with (some have two), the last thing you wat to do is blow the internal fuse in a borrowed meter lol. once you know the current range you are looking at then drop to the lower setting if it is within range,