Need help. What is this noise?

AshL

Love my S3!
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Would anybody be able to help me understand/figure out what this high pitched squeal is please? Is it normal (doesn't sound like it) and does it sound bad?

I've included a link to the video (not sure how to embed video?). The noise occurs around 3k rpm and only when the clutch is engaged, not if I rev it when parked up.

As always, I appreciate the help.

http://vid1006.photobucket.com/albums/af187/Heshmagray/My Video.mp4

Cheers,

Ash.

Sounds like a boost leak to me, Have you undone any intercooler pipes or changed and of the intake parts recently. Check for holes/splits in the intake pipes.

Sounds like a boost leak to me, Have you undone any intercooler pipes or changed and of the intake parts recently. Check for holes/splits in the intake pipes.

Yh I thought as much. I haven't done any work on it myself yet so I guess ill just have to have a look see what I can find. Thinking of getting it smoke tested at some point so that will show up anything along those lines.

Is it bad to leave it if it is a boost leak? I will sort it out asap, just wondering if it will do any harm if I drive it in the mean time.

Cheers,

Ash.

Boost leaks aren't good as the turbo will have to work harder to replace the lost air, If it's a split hose then it's liable to get worse. Best to try and find the issue ASAP.

Boost leaks aren't good as the turbo will have to work harder to replace the lost air, If it's a split hose then it's liable to get worse. Best to try and find the issue ASAP.

Ok thanks for the heads up dude, much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ash

Guys I need a bit of advice. My garage have said they think it's something to do with the wastegate. I'm pretty sure they just listened to the noise whilst driving it and didn't take anything apart. Does the noise in the video sound like such a noise? I'm not sure how it would sound if something is wrong.

Also if it is the wastegate is that bad? How much would it cost to repair/replace?

Cheers,

Ash