1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help from you audi brainers gearbox

lewigiepops Aug 18, 2009

1. lewigiepops

lewigiepops Guest

Hi I have an Audi a3 1998 1.8 turbo I have had it about a month now has done 100000 miles and has only had to owners ladies as well I have started hearing tapping noises from the gear box but when I put my foot on the clutch it goes away its really quite but having cars what brake in the past I’m well paranoid with cars I think it might be the thrust bearing well I’m hoping so any way, also a bit more info about it sometimes it won’t let u stick it in to 1st gear so what u have to do is take your foot of the clutch then back on then its fine, when you are slowing down you can hear a slight whine and when u pull off quite quick you here it again too I have had a listen and I have seen the car has had a gearbox change already as it has a vw gearbox in any help would be great cheers Lewis

2. paul-r-s78

paul-r-s78 Member

i cant give you any advice about this, but if you need a new box ive got one spare. it came off a 1.8t quattro. it had done around 90k. yours for £100

3. markyR

markyR Member

yeah sounds like your bearing to me mate, i would also check the flywheel while the g box is out as they tend to wear due to being a dual mass flywheel and can cause noises etc.

cheers mark

4. lewigiepops

lewigiepops Guest

cheers mark is that a hard job to replace as the gearbox is off ?

5. markyR

markyR Member

neither the clutch bearing or flywheel are hard to change once the g box is out, just make sure all components are checked for wear and play inc clutch so you can resolve the problem without replacing everything.

cheers mark