1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help!! Battery light flashing

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by doublem_1, Jan 28, 2012.

1. doublem_1

doublem_1 Member

On my way to work this morning the red battery light light starting flashing on and off. It soon stopped though and everything appeared to be normal. However, when I parked up there is vibration and a small grumble when I steer (when parking).

My thoughts would be the alternator or something. However, I fitted a new battery about 2 weeks ago and tested the alternator at the same time and it read just over 14 volts.

Anything I should look out for? It's a 2002 A3 TDI Quattro.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!
  2. a3tdi2001

a3tdi2001 Member

It does sound like it could be the alternator, which can seem worse when the temperature is cold. Did you replace the old battery because the light was coming on then? Have you jumpstarted any other cars with your one recently by any chance?
  3. doublem_1

doublem_1 Member

Not done any jumpstarting. I replaced it because it was dead one evening after I left it a few days (the light has never flashed before). Its only a year old and a big silver bosch one, 780 amps. I ran the car for another day and it was fine but i got it swapped. The guy tested it and said it seemed fine but swapped it anyway. He tested the alternator and it was reading above 14 volts, this was about 2 weeks ago though.

I have always had a noisey (when cold and if the air con is on) aux belt tensioner since I bought the car and I am thinking/hoping it could be something to do with this instead of the alternator. I should probably check the alternator fuse really shouldn't I!
  4. a3tdi2001

a3tdi2001 Member

If the tensioner is noisy it makes sense to start by replacing it. They're not too expensive/difficult to replace.
  5. doublem_1

doublem_1 Member

Thanks for the help. Any idea what is needed to replace one? I have retracted it a couple of months ago when I replaced the belt.
  6. colicabcadam

colicabcadam Guest

sounds like the steering pump making noise, however, because you mentioned the alternator lit the battery light up i;d say it was related to you aux belt / dampers / tensioners (if they have them), which would cause problems for the alternator, aircon and steering pump
  7. ant schof

ant schof Member

HI Buddy ,
    Just read your post , when i'd had my S3 for about a month i had a similar problem . Battery light coming on intermittently and a strange screach noise from the multi v belt area , worse with air con on . I also thought it was the alternator turned out to be the alternator clutch pulley bearing breaking up putting more strain on the alternator . May well be worth checking !

Cheers Ant
  8. doublem_1

doublem_1 Member

Thanks for the help guys. As I take I need to buy an M10 spline tool. Does anyone know any shops where I can buy one of these?
  9. doublem_1

doublem_1 Member

Right, ordered the M10 spline tool and hope to fit the alternator pulley tomorrow, I have bought a tensioner too just incase thats faulty too (which I don't believe it is).

My only worry is that it the tool will be too long. Or that it'll be too tight. I will soak it in WD40 in plenty of time though. Hopefully will fix the noise this thing is creating!