VAG All the way
Reaction score
just purchased some new headlights for my car, which are these

Audi s3 Xenons lights from a 1999.
DSC00208.jpg

Now these headli9ghtws will be replacing the following headlights

Audi A3 year 1999
DSC00207.jpg

the thing is i havent got a clue on what goes where, i know how to take the headlights out etc etc, but as for the wiring i just dont get it, please see following pics of the back of the new and old headlights:
DSC00205.jpg

old headlight pic1
old headlight pic2
DSC00206.jpg

New Headlight pic1
DSC00209.jpg

New Headlight pic2
DSC00210.jpg

New headlight pic3
DSC00211.jpg

Can someone please help me with the pictures i have taken what goes where or what i need to do to connect the exons to replace myprevious headlights.

please people any help will be so much appreciated.

thank you very much in advance

kind regards

chris:icon_thumright:

should be a simple re-wire, your old round connector just needs to be converted to the nre rectangular connector. you'll need a couple of new connector's from a scrap S3. then just match the wires up and crimp the right ones together

thanks for your help jons3, can anyone tell me how to make the loom please.

I would guess what your trying to do would not be that simple as just connecting up or changing connectors. I would of thought the new Xenon lights would pull more current won't the loom need upgrading?!?! Not sure but get it right cos if you get a hot wire in the middle of a big loom you'll be in all sorts of trouble!!!!

thanks for your help dave,

is there anyone out there who knows what to do in this situation? has anyone done this themselfs? surely there is.

please any help peeps would be so much appreciated!

come on their must be someone out there who can help me with this, who has done this to their car before. please if you could just help in the slightest it will be so much appreciated.

thanks

chris

Hi Pete,

The parts you need are:

Universal Yellow wires with crimped connectors - 000 979 133 (x4) cut in half and you have 8
Black 4 pin Plugs - 1J0 973 724 (x2).

Firstly, the wires come double ended, so you chop them in half, that gives you 8, 4 per side. For Main beam, dipped beam, side lights and Ground.

Now when you remove the old headlights, you will notice that the plug on the light unit is a twist fit, into the headlight itself. If you remove this, and the wiring from the old units, you use this to make a loom to save chopping the existing wiring in the vehicle. Its the safer option!!

First you need to make note of which color wire goes to which bulb so that you get it correct with the new ones. You will also need to do the same with the new units so you know which pin on the new plug, needs to go to which color on the old loom.

I chopped the bulb connectors off the old loom that is part of the old head light (so the old lights will no longer have any wiring in them), and soldered them to the new wires, and the attached the new plug. protected the osldered joints with heatshrink, and then wrapped the entire loom in self amalgamating tape to waterproof it.

from memory the wiring colours are:

brown = earth
yellow = low beam
white = main beam
red = side light
grey = fog light (new lights may not have fogs in so just tape this wire up unless u have fogs in lower grill that u want to conect up)

any probs just pm. good luck

p.s you wont have any problems ith higher current melting wires or anything dont worry, i have done this myself and had no problems

hahaha lol thank you very much for all your help mate, this is all so new to me doing this and i am scared that i am going to bodge it all up! i dont suppose you can get hold of a picture step by step diagram as having one of theose is probably so much more easier.lol

but if you can i just want to say i really appreicate your help. thank you very muhc

regards

chris