1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice TT '04 with RSTT 18"

Discussion in 'TT/TT-S/TT-RS Forum' started by imported_banshe, Aug 13, 2004.

1. imported_banshe

imported_banshe Guest

[Aug 13, 2004]
    Hello, yesterday I just bought a replicas of the RSTT 18" they look awesome, I don't know in other places but here in Mexico the OEM are 16", but obviously we I started driving it felt like it was sedated, you know big wheel, and also noted now when I brake I feel the car going forward not the safety feeling before, I ask for any advice I don't know hardening the suspension , and also put the chip to upgraded to 210 hp to regain some of the power lost in the wheel upgrade, but in that particular matter i don't feel very secure because I read that I'll need to upgrade the OEM valve. Any advice is welcome

My car is an TT 2004 1.8 FWD 180 Hp
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. Rai

Rai New Member

[Aug 16, 2004]
    get lighter wheels.

you are likely suffering performance issues because of two reasons:

* new rolling diameter has increased over your 16" wheel and tyre combination
    * new wheels are heavier

a friend with an a3 went through this recently (in fact with 18" RSTT wheels also)... felt boggy, weighted down and slower. a couple weeks later he got lighter wheels and the car felt spritely once again.
  4. scoTTy

scoTTy Active Member

[Aug 16, 2004]
    What tyres did you fit? You do understand that the external circumference should stay the same i.e. as the wheels gets larger the sidewalls should get smaller.

I had RSTT replicas on my TT and it was a firmer ride but I didn't notice any power delivery difference.
  5. imported_banshe

imported_banshe Guest

[Aug 17, 2004]
    Thanks, for the advice, I went to the dealer and he gave me back my original rims, so I choose only an upgrade for the tires, so I have a Goodyear GS-D3 , and the dealer give me back the money difference, like you said I didn't take notice of the wheel factor, but I m very happy, imagine after I get my wheels back with new tires , I spend like 2 hours driving it just for the fun ,I love feeling the performance of the car.

Thanks everybody