Need advice - buying an Audi soon

imraz

Reaction score
Hi

I am looking to replace my car in a couple of months and have my heart set on an A4 2.0TDi 170 Special Edition on an 07/57 plate with around 50K miles. I have been reading many of the posts on this forum and have come across two isssues which concern me.

1) Oil pump failure leading to wrecking of engine - it looks to me that this problem was with 05 and early 06 models and that the car I am looking at will not be affected, however any comments on this welcome

2) DPF - I believe the car I waint will have one of these and that replacing these are costly. Any thoughts/comments on this?

Finally anything else I need to look out for when buying this model?

All advice appreciated

Thanks

Imraz

I have a 57 plate A4 2.0tdi 170 Sline on 75k....

1) This is only a problem on engine code BLB - which was the 140ps during 05/06 I believe
2) Yes it will have a DPF as its the 170 version. I have not had any problems. Some people have but I always think people moan when it goes wrong but rarely write when its ok. So I took the gamble

Another problem seen on the 170 is failed injectors which are approx £500 each part... do a search but they were apparently revised in late 07 so im hoping mine dont go.

Good luck

The oil pump won't be an issue on that model, it only affects BLB engines.
The DPF shouldn't be a problem unless you do a lot of town driving or really low mileage, if I remember correctly you have to drive over 50 MPH for 15 mins for it to burn off.
The main issue with that model seems to be injector failure, which you can't detect till it actually happens and is VERY costly, around £650 for each injector plus labour costs.

Thanks benr

I will look into the failed injectors problem as it sounds expensive. Another thing I wanted to ask is about fuel economy. I am going to me moving from a 307 HDi (110) which averages around 42MPG (50/50 motorway and local). I know the Audi will be less than that and I don't mind for the extra power but any ideas on say roughly how many miles I will get for £10?

Thanks

Id do a search there was a thread recently on economy of the 170. They pretty much match my findings:

Doing a eco run on the last tank i got 41 mpg this was 50/50 Motorway and London crawl.

Its not great but not too bad either. My commute most of the time is very short (9 miles each way) so I get terrible MPG. It will only start to return ok mpg when its up to temp

I have been an Audi owner for the last 20 years, bought the 170 (57plate) a year ago, a fantastic car I have to say, 25 mile drive to work 50/50 town dual carriageway, best mpg was around 44, however i get bored doing the economical driving so average around 38mpg.
As or faults haven't had any yet(touch wood), great drive had a few mods done, best o which was the RS4 RARB(wow).

Mac