Need 3.0 quattro cat/downpipe removal guide

Reaction score
I'm going to see someone with a nice big garage and a lift tomorrow so we can remove the cat that I believe is giving me problems (I think the pre-cat has broken up and falled down, blocking the downpipe/main cat).

I've trauled the internet and can't find a guide anywhere. Only bits and piece of info for FWD V6s. Does anyone have any good sources of info for this?
cheers
nj

OK, I have something sensible for future forum users and then something I found jaw dropping because I really wasn't expecting it.

First, thanks Paul. All info I found suggested I'd need to drop/lower both subframes, which seems a bit... excessive for changing cats.
The guy helping me found these
http://www.audirevolution.net/videos/86/b6-a4-3.0-downpipe-removal-part-1
http://www.audirevolution.net/videos/85/b6-a4-3.0-downpipe-removal-part-2
and I can say that it's a real f**ker getting into that top bolt to get the downpipe off.

And now to the really weird but positive result.... I had my full Milltek and S8 cats fitted in 2011, and at the same time the precats were gutted and welded up again. Then I bought a set of used resonated centre pipes almost immediately and had them fitted.

So it's a ******* miracle that my mate shone a torch into the centre pipe on the offending side and uttered, "err. come and have a look at this." We took the whole exhaust off, turned the centre pipes vertical and gave them a quick bang on the ground. This nugget fell out in 2 pieces at our feet.

It's not much smaller than the diameter of the pipe so god knows how it hasn't caused major problems until now. It must have been jammed somehow but still let gases past it until I revved the engine one day (when someone asked me if it was a diesel and I felt I should demonstrate that my car does NOT sound like a diesel), at which point it must have moved and blocked the pipe. It's a good job the blockage was after the point where the centre pipes are linked (the Y piece) because it meant that part of the gas flow could go out through the other side.
This picture shows the unresonated pipes but you can see the Y section where the gases can pass from one side to the other.
th_P1070176.jpg

And these are the resonated pipes
th_respipes.jpg

The cats are 100% intact and look good as new internally so I know that nothing has passed from my existing cats into the centre pipes. So the chunk must have been in there for a long time.
The car feels 100% better now and I think I must have regained 20bhp so a good result. Plus I didn't have to buy new cats 3 years after the last pair.

So if there's a lesson in all of this it might be to check any used exhaust parts you buy and possibly give them a good thump standing vertically, just in case. I would also recommend that if you have cat problems with your original parts, just get someone to remove them, open and empty the pre-cats and then cut off the old cats and weld on a pair of decent generic replacements. Or if you can get your hands on a pair of decent cats from another car like I did then you may even be able to screw the oxygen/lambda sensors in where they are supposed to be.

Yes, exactly. It's a chunk of cat honeycomb about the size of a large mandarin.

I-plead-the.jpg

Must have been something to do with the courier......... :undwech:

Reactions: fourcircle
haha. yeah, probably. a common prank amongst couriers that.. shoving a fistful of old cat material down exhaust sections. the wags (I was going to insert a suitable smiley but just had sensory overload from the selection below and have given up)

the strange thing is when I took them off the car I stored them upright so anything wedged in there would have fallen out, if not been knocked out in transit and there was nothing missing from my cats which I did have gutted later on. My guess would be it came from upstream but if all your cats are intact then it can't be that! Osmosis maybe...... Or the garage that put the exhaust on might have put it down on it wedging it up there some how while putting it on?

it's really bizarre eh? I'd be prepared to think it's smurfs at this point to be honest mate :D
The main thing is that little chunk of evil is in the bin and the car feels a hell of a lot better now. And I have 2 rocker cover gaskets on order with the local dealer so on thursday i'll pick them up and fit them at the weekend.