Nearly time for new brakes

Randomjim

Reaction score
Need new brakes now really but i'm holding out as long as possible because i've just spent lots on 4 new tyres.

Question is what brakes do i go for.......

1- 312mm brake upgrade - Will it work on a4 1.8se with 280mm discs?

2- Do i just replace for standard discs as i found they were really good anyway.

3 - Black diamond discs and ferodo pads..

Any thoughts?

My 1999 S4 fronts will be for sale very soon dude :)

Not sure if they'll fit though?

Randomjim said:
Need new brakes now really but i'm holding out as long as possible because i've just spent lots on 4 new tyres.

...don't hold out for too long, eh Jim?

I'm fitting a set of brembos from the cupra R and goin for bigger disks not sure what size though.

chris

The 345mm discs from the S4 deffo fit on the 8E (B6)

SamDude said:
...don't hold out for too long, eh Jim?

I know lol just spent £400 on tyres and now my brakes are feeling very dodgy. I'll have to look into what will fit.

A friends got black diamond discs and ebc redstuffs all round on his S3, stops on a dime, v good.

I've got 312mm Discs with standard calipers and EBC green stuff pads. It now stops as it should and there's no fade because the bigger discs can cool down alot quicker.

I got the caliper carriers from VAG parts and they're genuine VAG. Not bad for around 110 quid delivered. You'd probably pay that for a pair from the breakers.

johnie72 what was the 312mm discs from an a6?

No, I got the discs for a A4 b6 3.0 quattro. Ordered from vwspares.co.uk for about 35 or 40 squids each iirc.

I did a bit of searching today and i don't think the 312mm brakes will work on mine so that rules those out. I have lucas calipers and i'm pretty sure it'll only work if you have ate cailpers.

Also it might be a leak in my master cylinder making my brakes feel so rubbish because the discs are not too bad.

You definately need the ATE calipers for the 312mm set up.

Ah right thought i might have a problem. Thanks for clearing that up. I've heard good reviews of black diamond stuff so i might go for them with some ferodo ds pads. Gonna check out the master cylinder thing first though.