1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nearly given a ticket for a legal plate!! WTF?!?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Chat' started by Oranoco, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Oranoco

Oranoco Well-Known Member

Got a nabbed by a speed trap yesterday morning which regardless of how annoying and petty is my fault. After getting reported for that the traffic policeman tells me he is going to issue me with a ticket for my illegal number plate. [​IMG]

I told him calmly and as politely as I could that the plate was legal and he got arsey showing me his plate telling me it must be exactly like that. So I pointed out the marking on my plate "BS AU 145d" at which point he told me to wind my neck in. Frustrated and annnoyed over the speeding ticket I retorted by telling him he should perhaps be trained beyond holding a speed gun and hiding behind road signs and hedges [​IMG]
    azman likes this.
  2. Sandra

Sandra MODERATOR Staff Member Moderator

Ooops, dont think mr traffic cop would have liked that. :) x
  3. @udi A3

@udi A3 Site Sponsor Site Sponsor

Should have let him issue the ticket then appeal against it and then use that to appeal the speeding ticket... ;)
  4. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

What exactly was he pointing out that the plate was illegal for? Considering you have the dealer mark on it?!, and was you doing 140mph? lol
  5. Westy

Westy Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

I think some coppers just see a car that looks modded and then just want to take you to the cleaners. I've been pulled over on my own driveway before and told I was going too fast for the wet conditions and that a child might run out in between parked cars (during school hours). Anyway I PI this down to being in a bright blue Clio 182.
  6. davc

davc Foursprung Duck Technik

Don't accept any cheek from the police, at the end of the day their job is to protect and serve:laugh: Well they certainly do the latter serving you bleeding tickets and so on.

Take their number and report them. At the end of the day they must show people respect instead of treating them like dirt.
  7. Yolo_8p3

Yolo_8p3 Member

pigs:search:
  8. Oranoco

Oranoco Well-Known Member

I always try and deal with people on the level and speak to them how I want to be spoken to. His attitude was snotty and aggresive from the word go. He clearly got the hump with me when I knew the number plate law better than he did, and this was made very apparent by his "wind your neck in" comment.

Through my job I have to on occasions deal with the police and on the whole they are pretty good, it just seems to be something about traffic police. Last year I was on my way to the DVLA office with my private plate to transfer it to the car and the traffic cop that stopped me for my shown plate sat there going through my papers for the plate transfer and still issued the ticket. I created ovr that and logged a formal complaint only to get his superior officer on the phone apologising without reserve over the incident.
  9. ESD1711

ESD1711 Active Member

So what was he actually saying was wrong with the plate then?

One of the biggest problems is that the laws around the legality of number plates are about the biggest load of cobblers known to mankind..... its shamful that those enforcing the law dont know the laws in full, thats a given.

However, I would point out that it 'is' possible to have a plate with both dealer details and the BS mark on it which is illegal..... I'm fairly confident that the BS AU stuff is actually in relation to the construction of the actual physical plate.

Strictly speaking, my own plates are illegal. I have a 5 digit plate, supplied by Audi with audi dealer details on it and which originally bore the BS AU nuumber too. The background is legal. The font is legal. The spacing is legal.

BUT....... I chopped mine down to the bar minimum size allowed by law and as a result, lost the portion of the plate bearing the BS AU number.

Legal in every single way other than a pedantic meaningless little number which has NOTHING to do with the identification of the vehicle.

Would have to be a majorly pedantic copper who'd make an issue of it IMO. But i'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

As I say, magnificently stupid laws.
  10. Av4nt

Av4nt Active Member

works both ways tho fella.... you would clearly fail the attitude test rather fast
  11. davc

No.

I treat people with respect, police included and have never had any issues when dealing with them.
  12. Av4nt

Av4nt Active Member

yeah, looks that way...
  13. wanton

wanton Member

And the first people you will ring when you are robbed, burgled or have your car stolen?
  14. wanton

wanton Member

Yep the Road Traffic Act is "written" terribly. No definition of the terms used. i.e the letters have to be "Black" I presume there is more than one "shade" of black right? When does black become grey? Rear plate has to have a "yellow" backround. What type of yellow? Canary yellow? Mustard yellow?

Have a look at this http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consu...n/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_067666.pdf

If you don't have standard number plates but you still tick all the boxes I don't think the officer pulling you over will be able to issue a ticket. I am going to take a print out of the web page and keep it in my car when I get my pressed metal number plates. They fulfill every criteria on that web page. Also there is nothing to state what material the plates have to be made of lol.
  15. wanton

wanton Member

From what I know traffic police are even disliked by "normal" police officers lol..
  16. Av4nt

Av4nt Active Member

even the most normal person will find something to whinge about when police are involved, because they are such an easy target for criticism and complaint. Its almost a hobby to some people.
  17. davc

Whatever. You can think what you like pal.
  18. Audi Dynamik

Audi Dynamik Well-Known Member

Okay people i think that is enough now :sos: