1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Navigation Systems?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by RacingTeatray, Jul 19, 2005.

1. RacingTeatray

RacingTeatray Freezing in Moscow

[Jul 19, 2005]
    I know this should probably go in the ICE section but no-one appears to read that too frequently so will put it here instead!

Not having a car with a nav+ or a double din stereo (thus making fitting nav+ far too expensive and complicated as you need to change the climate control), I'm looking at aftermarket in-car GPS systems - I gather everybody is raving about Tom-Toms but there seems to be a fair old array of these to choose from.

What is the best one under £300? Is there anything better than Tom-Tom?

I don't need something that doubles as a telephone/bluetooth etc as the more expensive systems do (as I already have a carphone system and don't have or need a PDA (work Blackberry instead)). All I want is a reliable and easy-to-use system with a colour screen that will navigate me around Western Europe (not just the UK).

All advice gratefully received!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. hop2407

hop2407 Active Member

[Jul 19, 2005]
    Mate - I posted exactly the same question a few weeks ago and did alot of searching on the web... in the end it came down to NAVMAN and Tom Tom..... I went for the Tom Tom 300 and to be honest it's the dogs ******.....
    The TT 500 and 700 are dearer and have a bigger memory and bluetooth / handsfree capability and like you, I already have a car kit, so I only needed the Tom Tom 300

You wont get it for under £300 at the moment though (unless your lucky) - I couldn't find a new one for less than £350 (and that was on the t'internet but add Postage and packaging and your up to £360ish)

Further to this, you can download the 'safety camera' databse to your P.C / laptop, then across to the Tom Tom via USB port and this is mint - tells you where speed cameras are. I think alot of the information is sent in by owners of GPS systems however if you do come across a camera and the machine doesn't beep at you, you can add it yourself the GPS device as a POI (Point of Interest).
    After driving through Nottingham the other day - it was beeping at me constant - saved me license points I'm sure (I hope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)

Here's a link to the 'safety camera' database

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras.php
  4. RacingTeatray

RacingTeatray Freezing in Moscow

[Jul 19, 2005]
    Cool - thanks for that info. Why did you choose this Tom-Tom over the NAVMAN?

Speed camera info sounds interesting too. This doesn't mean that a Tom-Tom would be illegal in France though does it? I know that they can (and frequently do) cr*p on you from a very great height over there if they catch you using a radar detector.
  5. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jul 19, 2005]
    I did the same exercise a couple of months ago, and chose the Navman ICN510. I too think it's the dog's whatsits. I reckon this and the TomTom Go 300 are pretty much on a par with each other for price, facilities & ease of use, so I guess it comes down to which oneyou prefer.
  6. hop2407

hop2407 Active Member

[Jul 20, 2005]
    Yep - Agree with Jeff...... Write up's on t'internet support this. I think the Navman was out first and an article indicated that when the Tom Tom came out, it was on a par with the Navman.....

Don't know about the use of these devices in France, sorry.
  7. imported_Nigma

imported_Nigma Guest

[Jul 20, 2005]
    The forums on pocketgpsworld are very good for info about all the different systems. I think they also review each product. Might be worth you taking a look there.

A.