Navigation system 2007 S3..HELP!!!

avvy786

Reaction score
Im just joined this forum so new to this...

Just bought my 57 REG Audi S3 in Deep Sea Blue lovely leather interior...
THe car is amazing only downside is that the one i got has the cd player with the 6 cds u can load into it...

im after the sat nav screen..have looked on ebay and seen them for between £450 to £600..

Question i had was is the navigation system easy to install...and also confused about the way it woks as im assuming the navigation system is gna need the map cd to read the mao so is that tellin me that i cant have navigation and music on at the same time

Will be uploading pictures of my S3 this week :)

do you mean the 6 cd go into the head unit or into a multi changer in the glovebox?

If you have a glovebox multichanger it can be connected to the sat nav (RNS-E) but it also has 2 slots for SD cards so you can keep the sat nav dvd in & still listen to choice of music. If you get the MK2 RNS-E it also has better support for the ipod & has higher resolution screen & faster processor. It can be recognised by the gloss black surround and the TV button now says media though you will find the unit dearer than your looking at.

It may seem like more effort at first, but CDs on to the SD cards is the way to go - even with the old unit (I think max 2GB cards), you'll fit about 10-20 CD rips on each card.

A mk2 unit is the way to go. Either gloss or Matt surround, if it has the 'media' button it's a mk2.

Retrofit can be tricky, some DIY, some NHN.

NHN (Nigel) on this forum is the retrofit/coding guy, he comes highly recommended by many members.

Congrats on the car, you need to hit Nigel up as has been said.....

You will need an FM antenna upgrade kit too.
These are around £150.

Paul

thanks for replies...
yeh its the 6 cds that you load into the head unit...
the navigation screens is the one that allows media cards to slot in...so luks like im gna have to use the cd drive for the navigation system as i dont have the cd changer in the glove compartment but do have an ipod connector which im still tryin to work out how to make it come on throuhg the head unit...

but thanks for replies appreciated...
atleast i know where to get help if i ever needed it :)

I have the my11 nav iPod integration which is useless and i don't use. Go AMI if you want anything like that... Or just use the SDHC slots

You will need an FM antenna upgrade kit too.
These are around £150.

Paul

The traitors back :p

Think more nearer to £200 mate for antenna fix parts.

Nice to see you posting still Paulus

careys_mankini.jpg

but do have an ipod connector which im still tryin to work out how to make it come on throuhg the head unit...

but thanks for replies appreciated...
atleast i know where to get help if i ever needed it :)

Forget cd's mate, if you go for an rns, rip them to mp3 & stick on sd cards, allot less hassle & show track names etc.

Ipod unit shows up as a cd changer, doesnt show any track info, so if you select external changer from the head unit it will connect to the changer port which is your ipod interface, tbh its crap but alas.

If you need an installer, give me a shout.

????? You sure mate. I done the upgrade from symphony 2 over to Mk2 RNS-e, and did not need no FM antenna upgrade, and i get perfect FM and AM reception wherever I go. Only thing I needed was an iso to quadlock converter and diversity adapter for FM/AM connection, as my A3 is "56" 2006. But I'm sure on "07" and most definately "57" plates it is a straight swap with a bit of coding and obviously the installation of the sat antenna, which most put on top of the glove box.

100% sure, yours is an earlier antenna system which is compatible with adapter used, it changed in late 06-07 onwards.

100% sure, yours is an earlier antenna system which is compatible with adapter used, it changed in late 06-07 onwards.
Thanks for heads up Nige, as they say "you learn all the time".
So the answer to everyone is, if you want to upgrade to an RNS-e then do not buy an A3 which is 2007 or onwards!! HAHAHAHA :icon_thumright:
AUDI so good but yet so awkward!!

The traitors back :p

Think more nearer to £200 mate for antenna fix parts.

Nice to see you posting still Paulus

Still about sometimes Nige.
Yeah, bought my kit used so it was cheap, £130 iirc.

Damn I look good in a `kini:o.k: