Nackered xenons....

Craig

Reaction score
Hi folks, so I know I've posted about this before, but this is sort of new.

So when I first got my car, the near side headlight was out. After some messing about, and what not, we got the light to work. We ran a direct feed to it and it came on.... Not happy with that set up, I had it removed and tried to get it sorted. The thing is, the garage couldn't sort it, because it worked when the direct feed was taken off. One night, I went to work, and the near side light went out again, when I got back in the car (2.30 am), I had no headlights. Left the car and went back to pick it up the next day, and both lights worked fine. That carried on until June, then the near side one went off again, until a few weeks ago, both sides went out and have stayed out. The bulbs are fine, I've tried a new ballast and this has done nothing. A garage has suggested what they said was the headlight control module, part number 8K0 907 472, and the Bosch part number I have on mine is 1 307 329 218. Now when I've looked at these, as far as I can work out, these are the control units for the LED's and DLR lights (which are one and the same).

So, has anyone come across this problem before?
Anyone have any idea how I can fix it? (Other than selling it and getting a new car).
Anyone know anything about the part numbers I've mentioned? Am I right and these have no connection with the xenons?

Also, the car has been into Liverpool Audi who charged me £50 (good will might I add) for 30 minutes labour, and the result of that was, "We don't know what's wrong with it..."

I assume (and we all know what happens when you assume don't we) they've had it plugged into VAG COM, so I 'assume' there's no faults coming up on that.

Any help is much appreciated.

Have you tried something as simple as the switch or even if you have auto lights the sensor?

I have got auto lights, but with them going one at a time, is a switch a possibility?

Do you have a multimeter? maybe you can check the +ve and -ve power input before it reaches the headlight and see if you get anything. If your car has canbus (where you get an bulb out error on your DIS) then if there is any power there will be a reading but because there is no bulb there it will go back to 0v. If you have nothing I would advise you to check your wiring for damage or check for power where you're switch is.

have you had it scanned for fault codes ?

changeing parts is kinda daft and ££££££££££££
id go for the central electrics module

So I've finally had some answers on this, but still not fixed....

There is a fault on the dash, yes, but there are no fault codes from it.

So it's been with an auto spark who actually knows what he's doing. He said that the switch is good, there's signal, ballasts are good and bulbs are good. He also said he's come across this problem before, and it's the headlight unit itself.

So a couple of questions...

1) What's in the headlight unit to fail? Can it be repaired rather than replaced?

2) I know you can change the beam pattern to drive on the continent, so... Would LHD lights from Germany work, with the techno wizardry that Audi have where you can change the settings on AMI?

3) If number 2 is a possibility, is it going to give limited light range, or will it be no different to a RHD part number set of headlights?

4) If number 2 is not a possibility, I've seen a brand called TYC, are these any good, or would I be wasting my hard earned pennies?

nothing in the headlight to fail only ballast bulbs and wires
2 not sure
if 2 will work it will work as right hand drive
i think you would be wasteing cash on a new headlight

Reactions: Craig
have you had it scanned for fault codes ?

changeing parts is kinda daft and ££££££££££££
id go for the central electrics module

What exactly does the central electrics module do? I don't suppose you know the part number do you?

nothing in the headlight to fail only ballast bulbs and wires
2 not sure
if 2 will work it will work as right hand drive
i think you would be wasteing cash on a new headlight

That's what I'm thinking, how can some part of the unit fail? It's only plastic and wires?

So German spec lights will convert to RHD?

And thanks for the reply!

some will convert to rhd some dont
the cem runs the lights and a flashers etc its kinda under the dash but where your right knee is above
its well known for geting water in there
you would be best off removeing it (very easy to do)
and checking for water and then you will get the correct part number from the unot not all the units run xeons
iv had problems with the cem in a few audis and it didnt chuck a fault code.

you really need to remove yours to check correct part number
do you know anyone with VCDS ?

Is there a picture of where about it is? So I know what to look for?

Just spoke with the auto spark, and he has confirmed that there is an intermittent fault with the control module according to his VCDS!

I'm quite pleased about that, hopefully it's the end of this saga!

So I've got two part numbers here, and I have no idea what does what...

I can't get into the one in my car, because I haven't got a clue where to find it. Can anyone enlighten me as to what part does what?

8T0907376

8K0907064C

8T0907376 - Electrics control unit

8K0907064C - Electronic control unit for Comfort systems

I doubt it's the second one

Reactions: Craig
8T0907376 - Electrics control unit

8K0907064C - Electronic control unit for Comfort systems

I doubt it's the second one

Cheers mate, does that control unit look after the lights etc? It's just that a fella off eBay has just refused to sell me one because he said it won't work on my car for what I need it for... Then told me he doesn't actually know what the part does. He doesn't deserve my money!

Sorry about seeming quite pushy, it's just that I'm at the end of my tether now, and just want the car back to being 100% so I can just get rid of it.

the part number will come up on vcds

My mate has had it scanned for me... And I don't know what he's used, but this is what he's came back with...

53804P36970 [24,0,d2,2c],Please refer to manual No signal

53868P37034 [24,0,d2,6c],Please refer to manual No signal

54124P37290 [24,0,d3,6c],Please refer to manual

00978 Bulb f.dipped beam headlight,l-M29

00979 Bulb f.dipped beam headlight,r-M31

I've got not idea what any of that means, and he's asked me to post it on here to see what you guys say.

Sorry for being a pain in the back side too!!

try to get it on vcds

Does anyone know of any Cheshire or Liverpool based gaffs that have got it?

Or these £10-20 cables on eBay, would that do the job?