My Work - Car Photography

Acerjak

Reaction score
New to the whole photography scene and still learning.
I don't produce anything special but I'm really enjoying taking pictures of friends and family's cars so it has turned into a kind of hobby for me.
Just thought ill upload my work for others to see.
Enjoy :)

5-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

6-1.jpg

1.jpg

2-1.jpg

10.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

2.jpg

I like this one best, :icon_thumright: if you dont mind me saying, its just a shame that truck and tank is in the background, but thats not to take anything away, its a good photo.
thanks for sharing

6-1.jpg

I like this one best, :icon_thumright: if you dont mind me saying, its just a shame that truck and tank is in the background, but thats not to take anything away, its a good photo.
thanks for sharing

6-1.jpg

Thanks both :)

To be honest I think all the background ruins this shot. The buildings and as you said the truck and tanker just don't seem to work.
Saying that though I just did park up at a friends work and to kill the time decided to have a little photoshoot so these pics were not planned :L

You can always knock the background out of focus to detract from it (reduce the depth of field), if you don't have any other option. What camera are you using?

I love that RB 182!

Your shots are good and you have the right idea, you just need to find a better location!

Thanks guys

I love that RB 182!

Your shots are good and you have the right idea, you just need to find a better location!

The RS 182 is the only planned shoot from all 3 cars but because the owner is only 19 he cant afford to drive it to a decent location haha. All his money goes on insurance :p

You can always knock the background out of focus to detract from it (reduce the depth of field), if you don't have any other option. What camera are you using?

I only have a cannon EOS? Im not sure on model as it was given to me from my parents..

Sorry, when I said RB I meant racing blue. Awesome little cars those and your friend is right, insurance is a killer. Mine was the best part of 5k after my VW polo caught fire.

5k!! Bet you felt like crying..

What does it say underneath EOS on the grip? 1D, 500D? 50D?...

Sorry can you tell I am newbie haha

It is a 300D
:)

Edit: just read your polo fire incident, that is some scary **** mate. Do you personally believe it was arson or an electrical fault by VW?
If it were an electrical fault at least you were safely away out of the car.

Last edited:
What does it say underneath EOS on the grip? 1D, 500D? 50D?...

In that case it's a proper DSLR so you can adjust your aperture and shutter speed as you need. What mode are you using it in on the dial on top? Is it a green square on those? If so thats a fully automatic mode for effectively point and shoot style photography with little or no input from the user.

Have a go at turning it to Av on the dial, then you can adjust the Aperture yourself and the camera will adjust all other settings (shutter speed etc) automatically to ensure the optimum exposure levels.

The higher the Aperture (your F number) then the more of the background will be in focus. So to blur the background like mentioned try using a smaller aperture like F2.2 or F1.8 (dependant on conditions) in order to reduce the depth of field.

Experimentation is everything to be honest, but it can add a different effect to a picture, and helps detract from a cack backdrop.

Last edited:
Edit: just read your polo fire incident, that is some scary **** mate. Do you personally believe it was arson or an electrical fault by VW?
If it were an electrical fault at least you were safely away out of the car.
I think it was electrical, but I'll never know. :/ :(

In that case it's a proper DSLR so you can adjust your aperture and shutter speed as you need. What mode are you using it in on the dial on top? Is it a green square on those? If so thats a fully automatic mode for effectively point and shoot style photography with little or no input from the user.

Have a go at turning it to Av on the dial, then you can adjust the Aperture yourself and the camera will adjust all other settings (shutter speed etc) automatically to ensure the optimum exposure levels.

The higher the Aperture (you're F number) then the more of the background will be in focus. So to blue the background try using a smaller aperture like F2.2 or F1.8 dependant on conditions.

Experimentation is everything to be honest, but it can add a different effect to a picture, and helps detract from a cack backdrop.
This, really. Getting a really shallow depth of field can really make a photo. A great example is stance works, they take some corkers with a low DOF. I guess it just depends on if you've got the lens for it or not - getting lenses with fast apertures isn't cheap!

Inspiration with a low DOF:

Anthony Care's E36 M3 - Stance Works
Desktop: Robert Turnbow's MX73 Cressida - Stance Works
Doing It Yourself: Rodney Nichols's 1986 Prelude - Stance Works

Or you can always cheat and use Photoshop ;)

Before:

6-1.jpg

After:

6-2-1.jpg

Just a quick and dirty as an example, but you can see how it brings the eye to the foreground and the subject thats in focus. I've just used Photoshop to demonstrate what we're talking about and the effect that reducing the depth of field has on the same shot.

The higher the Aperture (you're F number) then the more of the background will be in focus. So to blue the background try using a smaller aperture like F2.2 or F1.8 dependant on conditions.

Yes for all my shots to date, I have just kept it on the green square.
Thanks for the info, suppose it is true that you do learn something new every day aha.
Seeing as we have brilliant weather forecast this weekend, ill try the different camera modes available :)

Just a quick question, which mode is it to change the shutter speed? I have P, TV, AV, M and A-Dep

Thanks again for your info

As promised.
Again location wasn't great, lighting became an issue for me. and i feel the sky with it just being white didn't help the look of the images.
Anyway here is what I shot this weekend.

4-2.jpg

This one was just an experiment
2-2.jpg

47.jpg

10-1.jpg

13-1.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

25.jpg

27.jpg

29.jpg

33.jpg

41.jpg
42.jpg

43.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

Your experiement is decent TBF! I also really like 33.jpg and 43.jpg. But in my honest opinion, the majority of them seem a little over-processed...

Some good shots!

How are you doing your post processing work, in Photoshop? You have pulled them up quite a lot by the looks.

Your experiement is decent TBF! I also really like 33.jpg and 43.jpg. But in my honest opinion, the majority of them seem a little over-processed...

I don't really like it, can tell it has been photoshopped. The reason they look over processed is because (I'm guessing the lighting?) all the images came out dull I.e. the paintwork had no shine to it...it made the car look milky if you get me?

Some good shots!

How are you doing your post processing work, in Photoshop? You have pulled them up quite a lot by the looks.
Thanks dude!

I currently don't have adobe photoshoot so I'm just using a free online editor called pixlr....lame I know but all I got at the moment

You can download a free trial of photoshop for 30 days, have a go of it.

I was quite impressed with Pixlr actually when i tried it, I use it at work for mucking about (not that any of this is relevant to my job!!)

You can download a free trial of photoshop for 30 days, have a go of it.

I was quite impressed with Pixlr actually when i tried it, I use it at work for mucking about (not that any of this is relevant to my job!!)

Oh right I'll have a go re-processing a few of them on photoshop then :)
thanks!

I think you'd benefit from Lightroom too! It's a great way of editing images properly and it's so cheap compared to PS. It's about £50 for an older version, which will do a great job.

It effortlessly allows you to recover exposure, temperature, etc.

As promised.
Again location wasn't great, lighting became an issue for me. and i feel the sky with it just being white didn't help the look of the images.
Anyway here is what I shot this weekend.

Acerjak...... :thumbsup: imo i like the location i think its cool / quirky!
i understand what you saying.. "lighting became in issue" you set it the car up well, its just play with the settings on the camara from there.. just play with one setting at a time is the way i go.

4-2.jpg

So been playing again today (Before the rain comes) here is what I've got....
5_zps11644a38.jpg

4_zps85c5005f.jpg

8_zps12df0fea.jpg

6_zpsb5773841.jpg

9_zps2c21c760.jpg

1_zps0a683f6b.jpg

So last night I decided to play around with TV mode on the camera where I had to change the shutter speed etc.

Here is what I got:

1-3.jpg

2-5.jpg

3-3.jpg

4-5.jpg

8-1.jpg

10-2.jpg

11-1.jpg