My TTDA finally arrived

Defratos

You’re Dethpicable!!
Reaction score
Website
00626e1.netsolhost.com
Hey fellas, got my new filter today and it's niieeeecccce, and "tight" as a tiger . hope u guys enjoy the pics:

Air.jpg

Air2.jpg

Air3.jpg

Air4.jpg

Air5.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

Thanks, To be honest I haven't driven much today, just a quick ride up the motor way but turbo pick up seems slightly earlier, it also holds on to the revs for longer when releasing the accelerator, like it keeps on sucking, sound wise It has a sort of deep roar to it but nothing loud, nothing close to an open element filter. I really need to get a FMIC though to be able and benefit 100%. Which brings me on to my next question, can I fit a FMIC with the OEM S3 bumper?

Hey Defratos,

Where did you get it? Cost?

I like the look of it...

Cheers

T

They are the sh*t! Had mine on for a couple of months now and it does make a difference to my car... a noticeable one. They are very simple and look great.

2.jpg

I paid that price.. but in $$ not ££. The advantage of hiding it in my suitcase!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

lol, Rich ur lucky for being in the US at the time, not fare ;P lol. Hey rich which hoses do you have connected? because I need longer ones and I want to be able and clip them on rather than just placing the tube inside the flange, got any idea where to get different tubes?

[ QUOTE ]
lol, Rich ur lucky for being in the US at the time, not fare ;P lol. Hey rich which hoses do you have connected? because I need longer ones and I want to be able and clip them on rather than just placing the tube inside the flange, got any idea where to get different tubes?

[/ QUOTE ]

No idea mate! Mine are pulled up INSIDE the filter by about 15mm and they are not going anywhere. Very snug! I got 7ft of ducting from Steve when i bought the TTDA.

The sock is for the warm air recirc duct... Not all cars have this. Its a small pipe about 1" in diameter that connects to the base of the airbox.

Rich

Perhaps time for a little objectivity here...

I can understand why on Rich's car this device may make a difference as with the new turbo the air flow rates are very high...

However I can also report that the airbox on a standard S3 or any chipped S3 on a standard turbo is NOT a limiting factor.

VAG make many parts badly, but there is no evidence that their airboxes are one of them. I've tried a few things on the dyno and running at 282bhp and 332lbft there are other botle necks and limits to air flow.

To be clear, I see this as more of a bling cosmestic mod on s3s with a K04 turbo, and even on hybrid cars I would still remain suspicious but I don't have the evidence yet to dismiss it outright..

On standard cars, yes (and im not talking about chipped cars because they are still 'standard') they wont make much difference (if any). The reason i was/am not using the standard airbox is because my MAF is not standard... Wont fit an an A3 or S3 airbox so aftermarket was the only option. I wasnt happy with the stainless filter so went for the best option i had.

Rich

S'cool Rich, I was just stirring the pot a bit, thus the smiley. I remember readin about you new MAF housing.

In actual fact tho, I'm all for people chucking these things on for noise and bling. It all depends on what you what from your car.

I know... i was just agreeing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

And yeah, even if it doesnt add power to it, it still looks good and sounds good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif

I believe everyone gets lured to the dark side which is bling! Ask David about his badges /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Looks lie a fat bstards tin of baked beans left in the car engine bay, IMO looks better in the Carbon look. But Im sure it dont matter as they probably serve their purpose.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol it is a fat bstard, that's why I luv it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. And guys I never claimed any power improvements, just a bit of noise, and bling was a big factor. choice of finish is up to personal taste really, I reckoned the carbon fibre was too dark and wanted somethin to match the DV and hopefully other chrome, steel thingies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

I took some readings a while back with vag com and compared my OEM airbox to my brother's K&N and a pippercross airfilter. As standard I had the lowest air volume @ idle. highest air temp @ idle. lowest air volume @ 20,000rpm, and lowest air volume @ 30,000rpm. Now even compared to a crappy pippercross the standard was way way worse, or at least from my figures they were, any ideas why?

Oh and good lucky Monty, I took out my front left wheel and the plastic thingy that covers from inside the arch, though I would advice not to take the whole plastic bit out, as it's a bit of a headache getting it back it and fitting all the screws back to where they should be (I was left with two spare from somewhere lol) forgot to put 'em somehwere I just can't find where, everything holds well though so have fun mate and let me know what you think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I believe everyone gets lured to the dark side which is bling! Ask David about his badges /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Watch your mouth! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shutup.gif

You 'diss' David's badges...you have me to deal with!

Besides, what's wrong with a little playful badge-engineering?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Watch your mouth! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shutup.gif

You 'diss' David's badges...you have me to deal with!

Besides, what's wrong with a little playful badge-engineering?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing wrong with it at all imo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif! I just find it strange that this time David has opted for form over function (that extra character must make a huge weight diff to the car and thus lower the power to weight ratio) and thus i think such a modification should be officially classed 'BLING' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Nothing wrong with it at all imo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif! I just find it strange that this time David has opted for form over function

[/ QUOTE ]

David did nothing but buy a very well sorted S3!

[ QUOTE ]

(that extra character must make a huge weight diff to the car and thus lower the power to weight ratio)

[/ QUOTE ]

The badge engineering project is weight neutral.
The replacement badges were drilled to remove any excess material prior to fixing.

[ QUOTE ]

and thus i think such a modification should be officially classed 'BLING' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not so...
The ironic use of bagding is a token challenge to drivers of cars normally superior in performance to a standard S3...they see it, laugh, then try to prove a point.

The next step is total humiliation in the handling, acceleration and braking stakes as said 'chav' scoots off home with his tail between his legs.

Much fun to be had...

2,000- 3,000 rpm, wish I had a a jet engine in there unfortunately not. Everyone has his own preference looks wise, to me it certainly is bling, and a lot more bling than the original black box, I'll see what figures I get from Vag and see what conclusion I come to. Thanks for the criticism though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/book.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone has his own preference looks wise, to me it certainly is bling, and a lot more bling than the original black box,

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed...
...and it would be a pretty boring place if we all had the same opinions and ideas...

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the criticism though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/book.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not meant to be criticism...merely offering differing opinions and findings with which to stir the mind....to provoke thought.

As always...people take from my comments what they will...

I have no problem with my TTDA until now for over 5000km and i think that is the best intake kit

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really buy into all this oily filter stuff,alot of oil makes it's way into tip pipe from the breather ,if you take of your dv ,you will see the residue.My main concern is that the filter is open to the air in the engine bay,this is what i believe causes alot of failures.The ttda takes a cold feed from outside the car but i can't see how it would be alot better than a stock airbox with a better feed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ryan,

I agree with the oily filter situation... I'm not sure there are many PROVEN issues that oil has caused mass MAF failure. I was just offering it up for discussion since so many people DO seem to have a problem with it.

With regard the oil in the breather though... that's downstream of the MAF. Imagine the mess if it were upstream! It's designed so the oil gets dragged back into the engine and burned off but it doesn't always work like that does it!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Hence the oil in the TIP. Catch Can is a better system IMO, keeps things nice and clean.

I also agree about the air in the engine bay situation... it's always been a major problem with aftermarket filtration systems, getting a good COLD air feed to the filter itself and then obviously on to the engine. Heatshields are only a part-solution IMO because the filter intake is usually still in the same vicinity as all that heat. Jabba do a nice little 'box' heatshield IIRC, I wonder how well that works... I also wonder how well the insulation that is offered as an option for these TTDA filters works in comparison to one without, and also to the standard airbox.

Do any of you guys have the optional Koolmat heat-proofing?

DSC02714-vi.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
the whole K&N thing is bullsh*t to be honest. MAF fail for so many different reasons, and oil from filters is not a big reason. Also people use BMC's which are oiled, Green dynatwist .etc with no issues. Ive been running mine for a few months with no issues, and there anre MANY people using the same thing. Regarding the quality i dont think anyone can really pass judgement without ever seeing one in the flesh. I can safely say its the best designed and built intake system i've seen for the 1.8T. I bought mine on the grounds that it offered better filtration... powerwise i wasnt concerned in the slightest!

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason I mentioned the K&N issue Rich is because, as above, lots of people have issues with them and I think they are widely recognised as having more oil on them out-of-the-box than the general circulation of oiled filters out there... Obviously, if you're cleaning the filter yourself you have absolute control over how much oil goes back on there.

Quality-wise... they do look nicely made. The 'bean can' reference was just me repeating a comment that was made earlier /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif And ok... it was also me stirring the poo in the pot a little bit to see what you guys who'd bought them would say /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So... (scouse accent) Calm down, calm down!

All in all they seem like a fairly neat and efficient system from all accounts here and I'd actually like to get one myself if it'll fit in the bay... I know it says they are not available for A4's but mine won't be ANY A4 when it's finished hopefully! We'll see /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers guys

Tim

Mine is like this inside

DSC01174-vi.jpg

K&N panel filters, agreed. They have a ridiculous amount of oil on them...cause a damn oil slick when you open the bag its in! lol The cone filters are remarkably dry... I took mine apart and tried to absorb some excess oil but there really wasnt any.

Rich

I see you filled your shopping trolley up then Rich /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

How many of the feckers did ya buy!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif