My top mount.........fail!

cjsuk

Reaction score
Evening all.

So work for 6 days and finish at 4pm on saturday, i thought I would do my pcv delete last night and topmounts today (before the rain was due).

PCV went ok although a little pain in the **** but thats all done and good (solved a cpl of running problems).

Topmounts time. I have never taken a shocker off in my life but now was the time, I started with the drivers side and it went so well took me about an hour to do, took it for a test drive and no bumps knocks etc whoo hooo.

So full of confidence I parked up and started on the passenger side, thinking that in half hour or so I would be testing again. Jacked up the car etc etc, taken the top nut off (took alot of muscle to do) removed the cup then started to try and undo the nut that actually holds the top mount and bearing in place, allen key in, spark plug socket on and jeeez how tight?, I tried and better tried but nothing!, at this point wd came.

5 Mins later I went back out give it some beans and it felt odd (bad odd), I removed allen key and socket then I noticed the threaded bit of the shocker where the allen key goes had split!

What a tw@.

Luckley with a bit of force I managed to get the cup and top nut on so it's all back as is now.

I cant be ***** taking everyting out for it soooo, looks like a good time to get some coileys in the near future.

Next headlights re condition, got my 2000 grit at the ready lol (nothing will go wrong surely lol.

Anyway just thought I would let you all know about my fail.

Bad times dude, mine are gone but iv bit the bullet and got a garage to change them this week, as Im just a spanner with spanners lol.

Chris.

Bad times dude, mine are gone but iv bit the bullet and got a garage to change them this week, as Im just a spanner with spanners lol.

Chris.

Thing is, the drivers side was soo easy, i love just having a go at stuff as long as I have all the tools and bits I need i'm sorted, I just diddnt expect to need a new shocker lol. It gives me a great excuse to get some coilovers now though (when I can).

It seems i'm a spanner with allen keys lol

Two words, impact gun. It makes life sooo much easier guys. C

hris, stop being a puff and do it. Took me 30 mins yesterday to remove and strip down my old
coilover to replace it with a new one that didnt knock, lol.

****** the impact gun now (on the future shopping list tho), this is the best excuse to justify fitting /spending on coilovers to our lass, just hope she don't read this thread lol.