My S4 thread

New tyre is on so cleaned up the wheel. It's being repaired in a couple of weeks.

2015 06 15 132624
2015 06 15 132615

Reactions: Bristle Hound, xpoweruk and Keef
Agreed,not quite as noticeable now

And here's what the council had to say about them...

These bell bollards are to help protect this weak bridge by reducing speed and emphasising the width limit. They are an approved method of traffic management and have been in place for a number of years, the gap between them was checked some months ago. If approached at a reasonable speed and with due care, if there is any contact, they will deflect a vehicle without causing damage. I expect they were only installed at one end due to the structure of the bridge.

So the S4 is in for service. They are also taking a look at an annoying rattle coming from the rear passenger door. Let's see if they solve it.

I have this as a courtesy car for the day. It's the most horrible shade of blue I've ever seen. The keyfob says it's a "SE Ultra". In addition to the nasty colour it makes a horrible noise. It seems reasonably pokey but the sound it makes just sounds like it's going to break at any minute.

IMG 20150618 081740658
IMG 20150618 081727800

Today's damage report. Notice the cheeky beggars have charged me for the litre of top up oil. I already had 1 litre in the boot but turns out the new stuff is 0W30 rather than the 5W30 the old stuff was. And it's Shell Helix again. This means the ~4 litres of Castrol Edge 5W-30 hiding in the garage is, well, going spare.

They did fix the rattle from the rear passenger door. Invoice says "After diagnosis found window regulator rattling. Re-adjusted and tested, all okay." That one was free to me but £99.86 going off to Audi warranty invoices - ouch. Credit where credit is due though, that's two minor issues Reading Audi have fixed first attempt, no quibble. My past experiences of main dealers has been issues like this seem to need repeated trips so I'm pleased so far.

@Keef you're right. Assuming the other costs are the same, looking at the invoice supplying your own oil would save a chunk. I didn't do it and I'm afraid my only excuse was laziness. After the battle over the price match I just couldn't be bothered anymore.

June 2015 Service
2015 06 18 180026
2015 06 18 180054

Reactions: Bristle Hound and jdp1962
I'm pretty sure this guy was waiting for me to make him famous, so here he is. What happens when your car is in at Audi for servicing...

Reactions: mister.c., Dippy, Keef and 1 other person
I’ll compare and contrast with my invoice later

What a joker, that guys hilarious!!
Let’s hope he puts as much effort into doing his job!
...didnt like the way he closed your bonnet

Good call leaving the camera on.

On my last 2 new cars i haven’t been given an oil top pack
Use to have a very nice Audi bottle bag on my old B6 S4.
I’m guessing this must be a dealer thing?
If not I’m going kick-up a fuss until i get one! lol

Reactions: scotty76 and xpoweruk
@Keef was surprised there was so much footage as camera is only on when the ignition is on. Looking at the timestamp on the clips it's on for 30 mins at a time. Given how much it nags you if you do this yourself I was surprised. Also I thought that wasn't good for the ignition packs?

It was also fascinating to watch where the oil comes from. They seem to have a central supply (blue in the picture).

Oil

Reactions: Keef
Today's damage report. Notice the cheeky beggars have charged me for the litre of top up oil. I already had 1 litre in the boot but turns out the new stuff is 0W30 rather than the 5W30 the old stuff was. And it's Shell Helix again. This means the ~4 litres of Castrol Edge 5W-30 hiding in the garage is, well, going spare.

They did fix the rattle from the rear passenger door. Invoice says "After diagnosis found window regulator rattling. Re-adjusted and tested, all okay." That one was free to me but £99.86 going off to Audi warranty invoices - ouch. Credit where credit is due though, that's two minor issues Reading Audi have fixed first attempt, no quibble. My past experiences of main dealers has been issues like this seem to need repeated trips so I'm pleased so far.

@Keef you're right. Assuming the other costs are the same, looking at the invoice supplying your own oil would save a chunk. I didn't do it and I'm afraid my only excuse was laziness. After the battle over the price match I just couldn't be bothered anymore.

View attachment 61302 View attachment 61304 View attachment 61303
Great report @scotty76
Pleased to see your appear to have a decent main Dealer to look after your S4
On my last 2 new cars i haven’t been given an oil top pack
Use to have a very nice Audi bottle bag on my old B6 S4.
I’m guessing this must be a dealer thing?
If not I’m going kick-up a fuss until i get one! lol
@Keef - I asked my Dealer not to touch my car when it came form Germany, other than to remove the white transit film, As part of checking the car over I checked in the boot. The boot net was bagged, all the interior mats were in a sealed Audi bag and a litre of top up oil was in the little plastic bag.
So I'm assuming the litre top up packs of oil are coming from the Audi factory. It looks like some of the Audi dealers are removing them and others are leaving them. Naughty!
This is my 4th new A4/S4. My 1st came with the oil, my 2nd I had to ask for it & the remaining 2 again came with it. All with the same supplying Dealer BTW

Reactions: Keef
Thanks BH
Email already sent to dealer!
My last few new cars have been through Listers Audi

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Just encoding a compressed time video of the service for all you nerds (includes me). :)

And here it is. Not very exciting but might be the odd bit of interest.

Reactions: Bristle Hound and Tfsi gone
This means the ~4 litres of Castrol Edge 5W-30 hiding in the garage is, well, going spare.
Unless I misunderstand, you are stating that you don't want to use 5W30 oil now that the dealer used 0W30? I'm not sure if you are aware, but the only difference is that 0W30 is blended to provide good enough viscosity to start engines at -30C whereas the 5W30 is blended for 'only' -25C. Maybe in Scotland you might care about that...?

I'm pretty sure this guy was waiting for me to make him famous, so here he is. What happens when your car is in at Audi for servicing...
Since I might use Reading Audi perhaps I should request Sam since I have seen his antics on youtube?

So I'm assuming the litre top up packs of oil are coming from the Audi factory. It looks like some of the Audi dealers are removing them and others are leaving them. Naughty!
No oil came with my car. And I did clearly ask my salesman if there was anything else that comes foc when he mentioned the AMI cable (which I didn't know about). I'll let it go - my car is not using any oil anyway.

Unless I misunderstand, you are stating that you don't want to use 5W30 oil now that the dealer used 0W30? I'm not sure if you are aware, but the only difference is that 0W30 is blended to provide good enough viscosity to start engines at -30C whereas the 5W30 is blended for 'only' -25C. Maybe in Scotland you might care about that...?

Thanks for that. I didn't know so thank you for the explanation. So now I have ~4 litre Castrol Edge 5W30, 1 litre Shell Helix 5W30 and 1 litre Shell Helix 0W30. :)

Thought it may have been due to something else.
I'm not to keen on Audi work experience chuppets scrubbing my car either! Especially after a paint correction detail! May have to put that message in my window when it goes in for a free service in 2 weeks.

Reactions: scotty76
Good stuff mate!
What's with the sign in the window saying not to wash the car?

As @jdp1962 says I am not keen on the dealer washing my car. Detailing is one of my interests and I've gone to great lengths to ensure my car started life well and remains as scratch free as possible. When I collected the car the dealer did the minimum work possible to verify the paintwork was undamaged from the factory. This left me with some glue marks and such to tidy up. The car was then coated with CQuartz Finest (I'll leave you to Google it) by a professional detailer. @Bristle Hound went further than this and had his car delivered "as is" for want of a better phrase. Have a look at his S4 thread.

Why? Because I am just that #ocd and a growing number of owners are. The sign in the window is a gentle reminder that it should not be washed as sometimes the message gets lost between service people and wash people.

Is it really that bad? You decide (not my car):

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=287077

Reactions: xpoweruk and Bristle Hound
I have seen the pics mate! You posted them in my thread on the TFSI oil problem.. ;)
Phantom Black is the best looking colour Imo but it is definitely the hardest colour to keep immaculate. OCD is not the word especially when you live a mile from the sea. Fu**ing seagulls!!

Final VPower Stats

So, 3rd and final tank of VPower has been guzzled. Here's the final stats. Don't take this too seriously, it's just a bit of fun, no real science. All fill ups are calculated not DIS.

So, standard stuff: average over 3412 miles: 23.16mpg.

Vpower

267 miles 23.12mpg
271 miles 24.07mpg
252 miles 22.99mpg

Average: 23.39mpg

So in my situation, in a standard car I'm seeing no real difference from standard vs. VPower. I'm sure in a remapped would be totally different, before the MRC mob set on me. :)

The difference on a fill up was about ~£4 a tank so it's not going to break the bank if you choose to go for that.

Reactions: Duggy72, Keef, 4RingsDave and 2 others
Final VPower Stats

So, 3rd and final tank of VPower has been guzzled. Here's the final stats. Don't take this too seriously, it's just a bit of fun, no real science. All fill ups are calculated not DIS.

So, standard stuff: average over 3412 miles: 23.16mpg.

Vpower

267 miles 23.12mpg
271 miles 24.07mpg
252 miles 22.99mpg

Average: 23.39mpg

So in my situation, in a standard car I'm seeing no real difference from standard vs. VPower. I'm sure in a remapped would be totally different, before the MRC mob set on me. :)

The difference on a fill up was about ~£4 a tank so it's not going to break the bank if you choose to go for that.
@scotty76 - Great work buddy :)

I had a full tank of fuel when my car was delivered, which was no doubt normal unleaded, so I'm undecided about using V-Power at the mo. However I ran my old B8 A4 & my wife's old MINI JCW on it and they both ran noticeably better on V-Power, so that & its other benefits may sway me to use it on the S4

Like you, I don't don more than 4-5000 miles per year so using it isn't going to break the bank + with the Shell points card, it doesn't work out that much more expensive

Reactions: elpeterol and scotty76
Scotty, I feel for you mate - hope you get it sorted soon….Its the sound of it that gets me, It'll be good as new - Soon I'm sure.

Scotty, I feel for you mate - hope you get it sorted soon….Its the sound of it that gets me, It'll be good as new - Soon I'm sure.
Lol, that caught me out @David J . I assume you are referring to the wheel? :) Thanks for the good wishes. It's due to be sorted in a couple of weeks. I've mostly been avoiding the evil bridge but have been that way a couple of times to "get back on the horse" so to speak.

Reactions: Keef and ERBY
…If it helps, we went up to see family recently so stopped at some services on the way. I spent my usual 10mins of 'hyper OCD' looking for the right space, the place was packed but finally found one that suited - on the end of a row so I only had one car on one side. That car then moved only to be replaced by a moron who parked so close to me that he struggled to get his door open (resting nicely against mine :-( ) He then got his coat out of the back - clanked his door next to mine again, then threw his coat on and in the process the zip bashing my car again!!! (I was having kittens at this stage)

He eventually disappeared into the services, so in my wisdom I decided to move my car over a little to prevent further torment and in doing so…..scratched my alloy on the kerb next to me.:bye:
…you could'nt make that lot up, could you?:sadlike:

@Dippy I've been trying most of the alternatives which all have their pros and cons. Lots of roadworks on the minor roads too at the moment and some are closed. Still, it's a bit of variety and preferable to the M4 slog.

You could try my alternative - I work from home :)