My S4 is ill

s4mark

Reaction score
Hi all. Well just a month away from xmas and the S4 has given up. I took the car to a well recommended indy a couple of weeks back to confirm my fears that my tensioners and guides etc need changing and agreed that I might as well have the clutch and flywheel done at the same time. Due to the fact it's costing an arm and a leg I have booked the car in for early Jan to give me chance to earn the cash. Car is a daily driver but not raced due to Surrey rush hour commutes so was hoping it would be ok until then. Start up rattle was gradually getting longer and louder and more frequent on warm re starts. I also noticed a much deeper exhaust note under load especially in the last week.

Yesterday stopped for fuel and when re started got a solid Check engine light appear. Had codes read this morning and it had camshaft over adjustment on bank 1 and bank 2 and am well aware this is caused by failing tensioners.

Cleared the codes and had a very gentle drive home from work and all was good until again a warm engine restart and CEL back on and same codes. so clearly not a one off and can't risk driving it other than when it goes in for the engine pull.

It's a good car and don't really want to change it so even though it's gonna cost nearly what the cars worth I guess that's motoring and hopefully afterwards will be a sound car again for a good few years.

i woul suggest the only place you want to drive that to is the garage to get it done - otherwise you will be getting rid of it for parts or have a much bigger bill - i am in a similar boat - but with a much less valuable car. best of luck

might well be worth thinking about running a little bit warmer oil as standard
these engines are known to get hot and this over time breaks the oil down quicker leaving less protection for the engine and it making it easier for the oil to come out of the hydraulic tensioners
i installed a seperate system on my car which stored oil and then when the ignition was turned on it pumped up the tensioners before the engine was cranked