My S3 Thread

Todays purchase was a dull but essential one; 90 degree fittings for the heater core hoses.

After reading this:
VWVortex.com - OEM 90* heater core fitting
I discovered the part number for the fittings to be 1J0 122 291 C but I later found a variant R which had an extra take off that I can use for the cooling of the Tial MV-R:

715633450_513.jpg

We'll see how it pans out I guess...

Another failure.

The B7 S4 MAF arrived from the guy in the states. The fool has cut the flow straightening mesh out. I might as well have not bothered! <sigh>

RS4 MAF tube only has the wire mesh for laminar flow... it doesn't have the plastic straighteners like the S3 etc tubes have..

<tuffty/>

Yeah I done a bit of research and realised that later in the day but this one has literally nothing...

IMG_4033.jpg

Great buildso far i going to keep an eye on this 1 :)

Reactions: Sam_
Another kinda dull update but the vband clamps arrived from 034 and I couldn't help but mock up the setup...

IMG_9146.jpg

IMG_9150.jpg

IMG_9164.jpg

A little bit concerned about the angle the turbo sits at, but I think it must be to clear the cam covers? I can see why it'll be tight on the heater core lines:

IMG_9169.jpg

Reactions: Scullies, Airs, superkarl and 1 other person
Yeah it does seem a shame for it all to be hidden away and covered in ceramic coating...

Nice selection of goodies you have there mate.
That turbo have very good potential, i believe it came from a golf R that made 300 AWKW if i'm correct?
Looking forward for the end result.
Cheers.

Cheers. Yeah you're right, from Simons Golf R. He's spent a fortune on that thing! It'd be awesome if I got near that power. It should be possible but we'll see.

Another kinda dull update but the vband clamps arrived from 034 and I couldn't help but mock up the setup...

IMG_9146.jpg

IMG_9150.jpg

IMG_9164.jpg

A little bit concerned about the angle the turbo sits at, but I think it must be to clear the cam covers? I can see why it'll be tight on the heater core lines:

IMG_9169.jpg

S**T!!! Thats a big compressor!

It's standard GTX30. It just looks big I guess. Some fit the compact housing but this is the anti-surge housing. I have the compact one too, just in case.

A couple of minor jobs today. The low torn horn had been broken for a while and I was always reluctant to use it when one of the many stupid Sydney drivers decided to cut me up. It sounded more like a 2CV than a manly german vehicle. Whipped off the bumper to replace them (new OEM) and the AH Fabs V2 cooler was still looking awesome:

IMG_4049.jpg

Also had to re-align the drivers side boost setup a little so it wasn't fouling on the back of the headlight. It's pretty tight. Turns out I didn't do one of the jubilees up tight enough but I only found out on the test drive after the bumper was back on (hate that sound of a boost leak). Had to bend my recently dislocated arm into all sorts of painful directions to get in and do them all up but managed to and the liquid was reading 1550mb again. Yay.

Also fitted my new $50 Bosch after run pump for a Dodge Caliber SRT4:

IMG_4051.jpg

The downside is it has 19mm tails rather than 20mm but the hoses clamped up fine and haven't leaked. Seemingly it's been on after every drive now so maybe the old one was infact knackered.

A bargain if anyone needs one:
Mopar Electric Auxiliary Water Pump 2007 2009 SRT4 Dodge Caliber 05047003AB | eBay

Also ordered another S4/RS4 MAF so hopefully this one hasn't been butchered about!

Current status:

rekorderlig-pear-cider-500ml.jpg

How much coolant did you loose changing the pump?

I don't have any spare G12 or feel like buying any from Audi any time soon.

A few drops. As long as it's lifted up like in the pic and you just do one hose at a time, it's fine. Changed it a few times now and never lost a huge amount, it's literally drops.

Cool, I ended up with a genuine VAG one from ECS even though I only paid for the cheap $65 one :p

And I found for a while it would only come on every other drive, then it would only come on occasionally, then it would only come on once in a blue moon. So I assume it is fecked big time.

My original pump was doing that but when I made one good pump out of two, I took the little turbine housing off and cleaned out all the little bits that were stuck to the inside of the plastic where the magnets are then it came on more often and was way quieter. I already ordered this one though so used it. Nice one for getting an OEM one cheap. Couldn't believe how cheap the Bosch one I got was. Sod paying full dealer price for the same thing!

I imagine it would help a fair bit but so would taking it easy for the last few miles. A bit of mechanical sympathy goes a long way...

Turns out I didn't fix that boost leak. On the way home I gave it some and heard a slight whistling noise that sounded unusual. ******, the only clamp I couldn't bend my arm to get (the one on the IC itself) must have been loose. Get home, let the car cool and have some dinner...

IMG_4053.jpg

Turns out it was barely hand tight. Done it up, took it round the block and bobs your uncle, no noise. Can't beat a bit of schoolnight repairs. The worrying thing is it was still logging 1550mb on the liquid. Would the turbo have been working it's knackers off to produce it?

I also pulled off the grill surround while I was there, I've been meaning to paint it black with plastidip for a while. I thought about doing the rings but I think it'll be too much.

IMG_4057.jpg

Reactions: [Dave B]
Yeah you're right. I see some of the newer Audis seem to go for a similar look. Freshens the front end nicely. I've considered ditching the chrome mirrors but not sure I can be bothered with the hassle.

[Dave B];1974375 said:
I'm thinking of doing this, I've got the original mirror covers in my garage which I might have to dust off....

I think it might look a bit better, especially on a dark car but who knows.

Just bought some Bosch Racing 1150cc injectors. A bit on the large side but I might go for E85 at some stage (can get it reasonably easy):

I would say go straight with E85. Its so great stuff if the car (mostly fuel line from pump to injectors) can handle it.
More torque, more power and the best thing, cooler combustion. No need for WM and the bay stays cooler.

Seriously like Your build! Quality parts and not only considered to engine.

If idle issues are a worry with the 100mm MAF, 1150cc injectors will add to that for sure!

But e85 is mental stuff, know a few guys running it in evos and making an additional 40-50kw from the change!

Terrible fuel economy though, and evos have a 45L tank so was reducing them to sub 300km range from a tank.

Cheers BuuBBa. As far as I know, the OEM stuff is ok with corrosive fuels (a few vortex guys are running it) but not sure my IE 044 surge tank has the option.

14nce: They are modern style bosch injectors so it shouldn't be too bad from what I've heard. The older style large injectors weren't so great at idle. Mine are similar to the Genesis 2 (which are also modified Bosch) and they seem ok:

You're right about the usage. You need 1.5 times more due to E85 being more oxygenated. Then again it is cheaper though.

Good info here:
VWVortex.com - Madmax E85 tuning notes

Last edited by a moderator:
There is alot of info on evolutionoz.net aswell. evo related but similar sized engine pushing similar power as yours, some on there are well over 550hp on E85. though!

Also listed best suppliers etc around Aus.

Alot of the evo guys where buying 200L cans from CSR, was more expensive than a servo but consistant quality.

I wouldnt be able to drive from home and back from any of the servos in QLD if I ran E85 lol let alone any other driving

Good to know. I'm not 100% I'll do it yet. Unless I can run two maps, one for 98 and one for E85 then it might be no go.

Forge sump arrived:

IMG_9245.jpg

Also gave it a clean yesterday and took a quick snap round the corner:

IMG_9185%20(1).jpg

Excuse the lack of grill surround. I'm in the middle of painting it black (once I buy some plastidip!).

Reactions: Airs, StaceyS3, <tuffty/> and 2 others