My S3 Thread

Yeah, that's the plan. Get it to the level where it's a decent fast road + odd trackday spec.

I have a tendency to sniff out bargains and hunt VWVortex daily. TT, R32 + FI sections. There's usually some good deals. I guess the downer being in the UK is the possible duty, although being used, might be less of an issue? Australia has no duty on items under $1,000 which is good.

Went to my accountant today to sort my tax and my bill is way less than I was expecting so had a good solid amount left over. I was thinking I could spend it on the car but the mrs had other plans...

dont you just love that lol... thank God im misusless at the mo , was such a serious drain on finance side of things.. plus she never got used to my driving lol

though must say Sam nice progress mate just wish it could be the same for me i hit a bump so it will take me some time maybe a month or two before i start again.. so much parts to put in its sodding

I've bought a few bits over the past month but unfortunately everything needs extra parts to fit:
- The boost/fuel pressure gauge can't be fitted because between Merlin Motorsport and SPA, someone lost a sensor from the kit.
- The Tial QR needs a couple of adapters and some silicone to fit. On the way from Canada and UK respectively
- Waiting to fit the Ground Control top mounts with the H&R RSS coilovers I've bought. The current setup is a Bilstein kit but not sure it's the PSS9. It's a mix and match and uses H&R rear springs. I wanted a full kit and the comments on the H&R kit seem to be that it's a step above the KW V3 but much harsher because of that. I dont mind a firm ride (ran tarmac group a coilovers on my old 205, spring rates were sky high) so it should be fine.
- Still waiting on USRT to build these damn control arms

In the mean time, I bought an alcantara TT wheel:

AandTTwheelsandalcantara012-vi.jpg

That's not the exact wheel but it's identical.

Next up are:
- Clutch + Flywheel. Think I'm going for the aluminium 034 flywheel and a southbend stage 4 clutch kit
- Front diff. Waiting on a price for Wavetrac, but think that's going to be on the list

Got a few bits done today. Grabbed the sensor from TNT so now I can get on and fit the gauge. I did have a pod to mount it on the dash but not sure how good that'll look. There seems to be no other sly mounting spot for it really.

Also went to the post office and grabbed all the parts to fit the QR so got on with that. I managed to lock the vband bolt and when I tried to remove it again, sheared the M5 bolt. A cobalt drill bit and an m5 tap soon sorted it, but a bit of swearing was involved.

tial.jpg

Anyhow, I got it fitted and intial impressions (probably placebo) are that it seems to be smoother around idle/low rpm? Also seems to hold boost better (hit 22.5psi, usually only 21.5psi) but I've not given a proper thrash yet. It does sound quieter and the low boost/rpm let off does have a very slight flutter, but not the usual broken/lack of DV sound. It's quieter than the 007, which is what I wanted really. It was a little loud.

Was a nice day to be outside tinkering:

wind.jpg

Some bits turned up today:

IE Surge Tank (& Bosch 044, not shown), TFSI coil adapters (might flog them on)
ie_bits.jpg

TT Alcantara Steering Wheel
Just waiting on the M12 spline tool and I'll get this on
tt_wheel.jpg

H&R RSS coilovers
They're in awesome condition. Just need to press new bearings into the top mounts and I'll get them on. Can't wait. Even the rears have helper springs. I suspect it's going to be mega stiff. I left off the strut gaiters in this pic but they have gaiters to keep the crap out.
h&r_rss.jpg

Cool. I'll give them a once over and check they're spot on first and you can take a look.

The only downer (minor) is that the rear springs are from a H&R kit, not Bilstein. Feels nice to drive though and seems to match the front spring rate fairly well.

Last edited:
Got the alcantara wheel fitted. Must say it's pretty awesome. So much better than leather. Feels like an actual go kart :)

I'll get some pics once I've given the car a once over. The mrs likes to get her make up covered hands all over literally everything.

Next up is get the new bearings pressed into the ground control mounts then I can hopefully get the new suspension on.

USRT are taking ages and not responding to my emails about the delays on the tubular arms. Bit annoying as I wanted to do it all at once.

Fitted the RSS Clubsport suspension today, along with the Ground Control top mounts. The fitting went pretty flawlessly other than not being able to find my 21mm spark plug socket to do the top mont nuts. i then set about going and buying one, only to realise when I got home that I needed a 7mm Allen key too and had to back out again.

The set up is very stiff but not really crashy. It feels really nice. Not dialled in much camber, just 1 degree until I get a proper alignment done. I went a touch lower too, seen as its much stiffer.

Also gave the arches a clean...

2013%207:26:09%20PM.png

Cheers fellas.

I also noticed today that my gruvenparts rear arms have developed a bit of play on the nearside. The wheel moves in your hand when jacked up! I'm going to see if I can get the bush ends under warranty instead.

2013%206:11:43%20PM.png

That's how it's sitting now. A touch lower. Minimal extra camber up front but now the top of the tyre is now tucked under the wing a touch.

The Ground Control camber plates do pop a little but only on the nearside strangely. Might need to grease them up a touch more.

I'm loving the new suspension. It's like the car is stuck to the road. Even braking feels better. I have a couple of knocks but I think they are the wishbone bushes and droplinks, both need doing.

Also I might have slipped and bought a set of 8 17x9 pro race 1.2 in black. Same as these:
WTT: 17x9 +27 Team Dynamics 1.2s with 235-45s Toyo Proxes 4 (Socal) - evolutionm.net
Although wont be running as high profile tyres, I'll run 245/40/17.

The CH may be up for sale.

You sure 17's will fit over your brakes?

At least you can be the guinea pig and if it works I may find some 17's ;)

Yeah I reckon it should be fine (famous last words!!). I have loads of clearance on the outside, as you know it's the clearance to the back of the spokes and more so, the center hub section of the wheel that causes the beef. I done a bit of research and a few people have squeezed them under some 17s. The Pro Race are said to have good caliper clearance too so fingers crossed.

Hopefully I can grab them this week and trial fit one this weekend.

Was thinking of running these tyres:
CONTINENTAL 245/40R17 91W SPORTS CONTACT 3 (245-40-17 Inch Tyre) - 2454017 | eBay

Any experiences? Prawn said they got good reviews.

Looking good. If you sell the coil adaptors how much you want for them?

Conti 3s are great. Won best tyre in EVO performance tyre test last year. Had them on the a4 and they were so much better than the proxes t1rs I previously had. Ready to go on the back of the S3 when I can be bothered. Wide tyres and wheels are going to look awesome when fitted!

Cheers Jason. That's good :) $222 each here which seems ok. Yeah I hope it looks purposeful. I really like the CHs but I think/hope these will look better. Plus they are ~1.5kg lighter.

This swung me (the evo boys love them), shame mine are gloss:

DSC03627.jpg

Stacey, here's them behind a 17" Pro Race (I think) with 334mm. Not sure the caliper is fully mounted but... filled!

30618910150991022308976.jpg

And an 18" with 334mm:

2010_11_10_00_12_59_IMG_4031.JPG

Haha, these ones are 5x100 so I just need some spacers, probably 25mm ish I'd say. I'll see when I get them and do some measuring etc. Need to squeeze in 245s if I can, at least on the rear.

Car is looking great Sam.

Strangely, I'm getting a slight knocking from the nearside also at the moment, although I'm sure it's not my top mounts. I thought it was wishbones but just changed those. D'oh!

With the wishbone slots pulled right out, and the top mounts set mid way between camber and caster increase you should see over 2 degrees of negative camber :)

Fuk me that is tight on 17's but looks the nuts :)

Will have to shop around for some 17's when have finished my 18' yoko ad08's as tyres will be so much cheaper and more common.....well if prawn stops buying them all ;)

Car is looking great Sam.

Strangely, I'm getting a slight knocking from the nearside also at the moment, although I'm sure it's not my top mounts. I thought it was wishbones but just changed those. D'oh!

With the wishbone slots pulled right out, and the top mounts set mid way between camber and caster increase you should see over 2 degrees of negative camber :)

Stacey had the same and it was the drop links he said. I guess with these mounts, any noise further down is way more obvious.

Cool :) I'm going to get it corner weighted once I change the rear trailing arm bushes, and fit a few more bits. Should be awesome.

Fuk me that is tight on 17's but looks the nuts :)

Will have to shop around for some 17's when have finished my 18' yoko ad08's as tyres will be so much cheaper and more common.....well if prawn stops buying them all ;)

Yeah it is a bit cosy. I just hope it fits! Admittedly I should have tried a wheel but I think even if I can't fit them, I can make a profit on them. I just didn't have time before the auction ended.

It's always worth a punt if a bargins to be had....plus someone's gotta try it out for the rest of us ;)

Wow those 334mm fill those 17's so nicely! Looking forward to seeing the wheels fitted :D!

Stacey had the same and it was the drop links he said. I guess with these mounts, any noise further down is way more obvious.

Interesting, I can't FEEEL any play in the drop links, but I couldn't discount them totally I guess. it's silent when pushing on, just driving gently around town on slightly uneven surfaces I get a really annoying repetitive knock from the front nearside.

I guess a very quick and simply way to rule out the arb in any form would be to remove a drop link and go for a quick drive and see if it's gone.

That's this weekends task then after fitting the extinguisher :)

Cheers sam :)

Mine was simular as couldn't feel any play in them when I first checked so I ruled them out, it got worse and worse over a year or two to the point I thought might as well change them and it disappeared straight away, although admittedly could fell the wear when I eventually changed them

The times I was getting the knocking was same as you when just driving around town and going over slightly uneven surfaces or manholes but when pressing on or going faster never noticed it ;)

This sounds exactly the same as mine. My droplinks feel tight (but easily movable). My wishbone bushes are screwed though so I imagine they don't help! I'll do the driveshaft, wishbones and droplinks at the same time I think...

Prawn, have you considered running no front arb? Or none rear too? Some the US auto cross lot seem to love it.

I managed to sort my spring binding issue by cleaning up the bearing on the spring pan and re-greasing it with shedloads of inox grease. It's like butter now. The clunk we all seem to have/had, will have to wait. I think it's either the droplinks like Stacey or my well knackered wishbone bushes (torn). Hopefully my tubular wishbones arrive while I am away and I can tackle it all when I get home. Has anyone run the alloy steering rack bushing? It's standard on the mk5/6's apparently now.

Picked up the 17x9s today. I was worried the gloss might be a bit OTT. I really wanted anthracite but these were too cheap to turn down.

wheel_sml.jpg

Just need to work out what offset to run. I was thinking of going ET20 front and ET15 rear. I really want to run 245/40s though so I might get the tyres mounted and then work it out from there.

Last edited:
Been looking at the metal steering rack bush myself, is it USRT or something that sell them?

Westy: They were about 2/3 of the price of a set or 4, but I got 8!

Dani: Yeah, from USRT. I spoke to Scott the other day about it and he said the mk5/6 now come with it as standard so it can't be bad. Installation doesn't look bad at all. I'll have to drop the rack when we fit the new engine anyhow so figured I'd do it then. Along with the Tyrolsport solid subframe mounts. Was going to go 034 but he reckons the aluminium ones can deform over time and so the bronze ones are better.

To compliment the 17x9s, I've just bought some used Yoko Advan AD08s in 245/40/17. They look and review as decent tyres:

yokos019.jpg

Eventually they'll become track only and I'll get another set of tyres on the other 4 rims. Depending on how they look on the car.

Oh, I also ordered a solid steering rack mount:

61c542dda1eb3270e6d7a6c433f05f1e.image.733x550.jpg

And tyrolsport solid subframe bushes. They're made of bronze as apparently the aluminium ones can deform. Figured it's better safe than sorry.

subframe_mk4_bushing_main.jpg

And lastly, some MadMax rear control arm bushes to replace my already knocking gruvenparts rose joints (note, avoid their rose joints, they're seemingly low end joints):

IMG_0362.jpg

Everything is on it's way for when I get back from my trip so the plan is to get it all fitted (along with new droplinks) then go for a proper 4 wheel alignment. The only suspension bushes I need to replace are the ones in the rear trailing arm and the front ARB. Seems like the rear trailing arm ones are easy enough to do so hopefully I can get them in before an alignment.

Looking good mate :)

You'll love the AD08's I have them on mine in the summer and used them on track and gave them a hammering and they held up well.....although managed to get them very hot

DE424927-00B5-4708-96B1-55B8F8DDFFF3-3381-0000030A5A61ECE8.jpg

Sorry I missed your post Stacey. I've been over in Thailand on ropey internet.

Bit of an impulse buy but I've bought a GTX3071 with a .82 housing and two compressor housings (GTB and GTX (full fat)). A bargain at $1k and has only done 7,000km. I thought it was too good to pass up.

turbinesideT30823inchVBexit_zps8c6817ca.jpg

compsideofGTX3071Roillines_zpsdba19d41.jpg

Just have to work out what to do with the GT28 kit now. Or keep this for later. Hmm. I really want to do it right first time.