My S3 is starting to sound more like a diesel

MrTackalakalaka

Reaction score
Hello everyone

Noticed today that when sitting on idle my s3 seems to be making a lot of "ticking" noises you would expect to get from a Diesel engine. Can also faintly hear it inside as well.

Mechanically the car drives and pulls perfect but just seems to sound awful when sitting still.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

was it HOT or does it do it all the time?

Our old A4 used to start clattering on idle when it was very hot, stop start city driving would usually do it.

I fitted an oil pressure guage and found it was only making 8psi of oil pressure at idle once it got really hot.

The 1.8T does sound a little like a tractor on startup and when warm on tick over you can hear a clicking coming from the off side centre of the bonnet area which is the charcoal cannister. It reduces incoming smells into the cabin.

Last edited:
S3's have the evap canister and the injectors are also stupidly loud aswell.
if your oil gets too hot you'l lose pressure aswell. if you'd been hooning it that would explain it.

Hello everyone

Noticed today that when sitting on idle my s3 seems to be making a lot of "ticking" noises you would expect to get from a Diesel engine. Can also faintly hear it inside as well.

Mechanically the car drives and pulls perfect but just seems to sound awful when sitting still.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Believe it or not, V-Belt Tensioner is probably knackered.

Sounds like a diesel when the engine turns over, and a sort of wobbly rattle sound at low revs...?
If you've got these symptoms, it's probably V-Belt Tensioner related. The ticking comes from the rotation of the belt on the knackered tensioner, making it rattle. The noise will go away at higher revs as the tensioner is put under load. This diagnosis would also fit with the car still performing and driving normally.

I have exactly this issue, spent hours and hours trying to diagnose it, then my friend comes round and points it out straight away! Anywho, I'll be fixing this in a week or so once I'm back from the USA! Parts aren't particularly expensive, I've ordered mine from my local TPS branch.

Thankyou for the replies!!

Yes it makes the noise all the time wether its cold or hot!
I don't really hoon about in it, just like to "Cruise" haha

It does sound like its coming from belt area, i think ill have to look into it when i next have a day off!!

Thanks again for the replies!

a quick test would be to whip the auxiliary belt off, and see if the noise goes away!

Agreed. Best way to diagnose it.

The tensioner itself is spring loaded, and should move, but it shouldn't have any play or wobble in it. Mine's like jelly at the moment.

If its coming from the belt area, 99.9% sure it is the tensioner.