1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My S3 has just had the JBS 05 conversion.

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by S3 Paul, Nov 27, 2007.

1. jesters3

jesters3 Active Member

Back off topic.....

Dave B what's the issue with Storm?
  2. Dave_Bayern

Dave_Bayern Slipping at 3.5Krpm

Not really an issue as such, but I wanst happy with a couple of things.

Firstly, I left my car with them for a week whilst I went away.

During the mapping process they rang me, and told me they though my FMIC piping was too small and might be causing constrictions. As it happened, I was actually in Irvine in California, so popped in to the place that makes the FMIC in California! They explained that the standard IC piping is 50mm, as is theirs, and the output from the turbo was 45mm, so it couldnt cause any issues, they also showed my a lot of California cars running the same thing, and they have no issues in Cali heat.

When I left the car I also brought a checksheet along and with one guy noted down every scratch and mark on the paintwork, and told them not to change the spark plugs.

I get back from an 11 hour flight to find they changed the spark plugs (and tried to make me pay, I made them swap them back) and they had washed but not dried the car so it was COVERED in water spots.
    I actually had to get the porter cable out to remove the water spots as that week was hot.

Then, I find a scratch, and they denied they had done it, despite me marking it down with them before I handed over the keys a week earlier.

Anyway, I was at the end of a long day and long flight and couldnt be bothered, and all that said, the map is great.

However, JBS supplied the map, Storm simply applied the map.
  3. mbs3

mbs3 Member

4. HTC

HTC Active Member

If all works out and the JBS05 see no failures, then I would have to agree that for someone who does not want to get involved with swapping engine internals, this has to be the choice over the IHI setup for a 4WD car.
  5. simch

simch Active Member

Ball bearings on a k04 hybrid........?
    Did not realise that. Thought is was just a better thrust bearing?
  6. HTC

HTC Active Member

JBS05 is 360º thrust bearing.

I doubt turbo dynamics is ball bearing. CHRA is too small.
  7. S3 Paul

S3 Paul Active Member

Hi again.
    The car has a few other mods here and there...
    Brembo calipers and discs up front.
    Koni Coilovers.
    Forge tip and other boost hoses.
    Now wearing a Milltek Cat back exhaust too.

So many people mention failure of the engine... I was led told by many that the BAM engine was "safe" to around 350bhp?
    I have seen a bent rod but that wasn't from a S3 engine it was a ibiza .

I had the clutch swapped about 2 months ago so... fingures crossed there.
  8. danotto

danotto VAG HUNTER

i have an amk engine on an x2001 platewhat is the difference between amk and bam
  9. HTC

HTC Active Member

Nothing except for the ecu map I think.
  10. ChriS3

ChriS3 hud at ye bam

They're more than good for about 350bhp, but its your high torque fiqure that could bend things.
  11. JBS Sales

JBS Sales Member

Paul:

Thank you very much for the write up, really glad you are happy with the car and you will have to take me out for a spin in it next time I see you :)

Jim:

We did want to do this on your car but as mentioned you could not get the money in time for us be we could not work that way it is nothing personal but company policy. I also recall you had a slight family problem which also delayed getting the car up to us and then you had the issue of someone running into your car.

Again Jim it was nothing personal, if you want to give me a call we can still arrange an offer/deal for you.

HTC:

All I can do is apologise about the delay with your turbo kit. There were a few things we wanted to change for the better as we wanted to be 100% the products were perfect before we sent them out to you. I do recall you asking for the CAT in the downpipe but by this time we had already made the downpipe for you. Again sorry for the delay and if there is anything else I can help you with please feel free to ask. :)

MBS3:

The JBS05 is a different spec to the TD turbo, almost like a night and day differance between the two on how they perform on the road.

Dave Bayern

Just to clear up mate, it is Custom-Code that supplies files to Storm Development not JBS ;)

ChriS3

The figures produced by the JBS05 are safe for the engine internals, as I said to Paul if we feel there are too much we would either back the power down or if the customer requested max power a disclaimer will be signed.

I hope this helps everyone

Mike
  12. Pat

Pat Member

Well i know Paul and know he is very happy with the car, i also spoke to Mike the other day about having pretty much the same done to mine, very helpful and not pushy.. If i do decide to have it done then it won`t be till new year.. In the meantime i ordered some H&R ARBs to keep me entertained.. Which came today..
  13. ChriS3

ChriS3 hud at ye bam

Mike, probably should have emphasised the 'could' as I really wouldn't expect it to happen. However to deny that its a possibility is a little naive and potentially misleading. You're producing a lot more torque than most BT kits.
  14. glen_jai

glen_jai Member

Just spoke to Alec at JBS. Seems like a nice guy and really willing to explain the technical details of the hybrid k04.

After deciding not to sell my car for a 993, I am "this" close to doing a BT conversion. I was (and still am) interested in the gt28rs conversion done by Backdraft. Mark seems friendly also, and appears to know his stuff.

However, the hybrid JB05 turbo sounds almost too good to be true. The spool up rates of a standard k04 with sustained boost to hold to 7k. That's impressive.

Alec did mention that an FMIC was not required, though to reach the 340bhp a new manifold, dp and sports cat would probably be required.

Paul, did you notice any loss of power after a spirited run? (with respect to still using your smics)
  15. george80

george80 New Member

Why do you guys run cats when tuning(other than the obv mot time issues), in evo world most of us use decat..
  16. ChriS3

ChriS3 hud at ye bam

Because they're not restrictive on the S3 and removing them just throws up emissions warning lights.
  17. george80

george80 New Member

ok - thanks for clearing that up :)
  18. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

Am I right in thinking that you can use this hybrid turbo with standard exhaust, manifold and injectors, and just requiring a custom remap? Of course the added benefit of uprating the other parts is more power, but I'm thinking this would be a good replacement for a blown turbo and getting more power in the process without spending silly amounts of money north of £2k.
  19. HTC

HTC Active Member

Yep, sounds about right.

Backdraft are offering a similar turbo for £650 +vat.
  20. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

Thanks, just what I wanted to hear. :)
  21. s3ollie

s3ollie Member

Is that for the part only? how much extra would fitting be? also + a remap ~£500 i guess?