My S3 has just had the JBS 05 conversion.

S3 Paul

Reaction score
Hi there,
In kind of new to here but felt i should post up about my car and the work i have just had done ...
I'd had the car Custom Coded before and was happy with the upgrade for a while... But like most i wanted more ! But my problem was i didnt want to spoil how the car drove/delivered the power it had. I looked at IHI conversions and the like but when i heard that a new kit from JBS Autodesigns was being developed... i was there !
The conversion is a hybrid turbo based on the K04 but with a fair bit of "customising" going on with it then a full Custom Code stage 3 map to get the car running spot on.
I liked this idea as it used the standard other parts such as manifold and pipe work.
Well i dropped the car off and since picking it up on friday ive done nothing but smile! The power figures before ( with stage 1 custom code) were... 263.7 bhp with max. torque being 284

Now with the new set up its...311.8 bhp and torque being 340.7

Fly wheels figures i expect but... im happy

The drive from the car is just what i wanted. So much more fun with no noticable lag at all. its just like before but in fast forward !
There are still options for me too, With the developement of a new hi flow manifold and i could fit a 3 inch down pipe and a sports cat... JBS have told me all 3 of the above are now whats holding the car back and upto 340/350 bhp should be possible with the stock internals.

In short, Im a happy man.
If you want you S3 to be what Audi should have released as an RS3 give them a try.!

Nice one mate, please your happy!

How much did it set you back roughly? (hope you don't mind me asking?!)

:icon_thumright:

Nice write up - I saw the power graphs on their section of AS.NET. Looks good and a lot cheaper than going down the IHI route. I'm seriously tempted. Are you running on an original clutch or did they upgrade that for you too?

Why are people asking like its a secret what it cost him?

Ring JBS, its a product they want to sell, they are hardly not going to tell you the price!

The figures look VERY promising and as Custom Code it'll be a nice map too.

Bet the car is amazing in comparison now....

Nice numbers and sounds like it drives well too. You must be the first car (if not the test vehicle).

From JBS, for lazy non forum searchers.

BRAND NEW JBS05 turbo unit (not exchange) £1150.00+VAT

Exchange basis JBS05 (as long as the old unit is in useable condition) £850+VAT

JBS Tubular Collected manifold (not equal length) £450+VAT

Custom-Code Phase 3 mapping £550+VAT (reduced from £650)

Fitting £279.45+VAT

33% discount on their phase three price if already running custom code.

JBS05STDMANISTG1-1.jpg

they wanted my car to do the first set up on but trust went out of the window when they wanted to finalise the deal.but i will wait and see if the standard internals stand up to it.

Ballcrusher said:
they wanted my car to do the first set up on but trust went out of the window when they wanted to finalise the deal.but i will wait and see if the standard internals stand up to it.

............er that sounds interesting........?? what do you mean??

Ooh.....interesting stories to come...

On the subject of the conversion:
That sounds perfect to me.
All the bottom end of a chipped K04, none of the lag of the BT conversions and pretty close to 'proper' BT power...I like the sound of that!

well they kinda drove me mad to get my car in after i was asking about other tuning mods a few weeks back at the best of the best day.we sorted out a price witch was well rip ya arms off for it but the funds wasnt there for 3weeks but insisted i get it to them asap.untill i asked how long will the job take and hey said 1 week i said fine ill drop it off monday and pick it up saterday at my own cost...and they said i thought i dodnt have the funds for 3 weeks and i said yer thats rite ill pay by card as soon as the funds reach my account. and they said no way we keep the car till bill is paid and i said i cant go without a car for 3 weeks. then they said its company policy that you must pay befor you can pick your car up, so i said i can trust you with 8 grand car but u cant trust me witch i got no reply.basicly i at to trust them with my car witch i had no problem doing as it was them who was ringing me get my car to them asap............trust it speeks for its self

Ahahahahaha.

You expected them to do a job and then for you to be able to take the car away without paying.

Thats not trust.

Thats absolutely sound financial sense.

I dont see how you can think it unreasonable of them not to want payment before returning your car mate.

it aint being unreasonable its they wanted me i didnt ask them for it.but if a company drives yoiu mad for something and need your car ASAP like they keep on telling then thers got to be a bit of lee way.im doing them the favour

That's hardly a BIG story is it Mr. Ballcrusher, they obviously keep your 8K car in for work, if they broke it, then they pay for it, but in your case, if you drive off with an unpaid bill, they have no way of getting it once you are gone, not really a of trust, but just getting paid for the work done mate...

every ones missing the point if some wants your car for a ginny pig and they drive you mad for it and you have allready told them about the money porblem but they insist on getting your car to them asap at my own cost then it swings in round abouts cos if the bottom end gives up after they do the upgrade they wont be held responsible as they didndt touch that part of your car

Nobody is really missing the point, if you didn't have the cash all you say is 'no i dont have the money for 3 weeks you will have to find some1 else'

You could have told them you wouldn't be able to pay for 3 weeks and that you'll want the car back after the first week (unpaid) before any of the work was done. If they agreed to that then I'd be on your side, as for how the situation currently is, I agree with the others :beerchug:

Welcome to the site S3 paul glad your happy with the work done

PS What position do you hold at JBS?

Ballcrusher said:
every ones missing the point if some wants your car for a ginny pig and they drive you mad for it and you have allready told them about the money porblem but they insist on getting your car to them asap at my own cost then it swings in round abouts cos if the bottom end gives up after they do the upgrade they wont be held responsible as they didndt touch that part of your car

I understand 100% what you are saying mate, but as I see it, you are obviously a 'regular' customer, and they wanted to do the work on your 'known' car as you put it, and probably at a very good price which is where the goodwill is. It works like this, if you had the work done and drive off with the promise of paying in 3 weeks time, what happens if you die in an accident during the 3 weeks? who will pay them then?

Sorry guys, but my story will most likely be a let down too.

Anyways, April this year I spotted the JBS IHI stage 1 kit. I get on the blower and order one. I'm told I'll see it in two weeks.

Two weeks came and went so I called up to see how things were getting on. I was told another two weeks.

This went on for a while. I'd mentioned I wanted the kit ready for GTI international. This didn't happen.

Meanwhile JBS were advertising in many VW publications and on forums. I asked if they hadn't bitten off more than they could chew as I couldn't understand how they could build all these kits in the time for people.

Spoke to them face to face at GTI international and asked if I could take home the kit they had on display as I'd paid in full (end of final show day). They said no as it was for a seat ibiza.

Anyways, I finally called to cancel my order but they persuaded me otherwise. I didn't see the kit until the end of August. So about 4.5 months in total.

When it turned up it was the exact kit on the stand at GTI International (I'd taken close up photos and I compared the welds to my kit).
Inside the manifold was rusty and you could see where they had cleaned up some surface rust of the lambda probe connection.

So why was I kept waiting when the kit had been already made? Funny how I got it so quick after theatening to cancel.

Having said that, the kit is of extremely high quality and the guys on the phone were friendly.

Its like the cute kid who has just loaded jam on toast into your brand new DVD system.
You want to shout at them, but they give you that sorry look.

I guess the bottom like is ask if they have the items in stock first if you order from them.

Oh yeah, when the kit did turn up, it was slightly wrong. They had sent me a cat bypass setup, when I stated I wanted to retain my cat.

I had the kit modified locally, as I didn't want to send it back and wait another 4 months.

FOUR AND A HALF MONTHS!!!!!!
Big Boys Toys messing me around for a month for brakes that were meant to be with me in a week so I cancelled.
you have some patience

Im going to go this route with a hybrid KO4. Was going to do it this month, but had a big bill for blown head gasket, bent valves, cracked exhaust mani!

I rang turbo dynamics up and they said 450 plus V.AT for a re con hybrid on my turbo, which is basically the same spec as the one from jbs. Ill stick all the info up when its all done after xmas hopefully.

I've got to hand it to you HTC, 4 months waiting and to a certain extent, being messed around for those parts, you have good patience my friend, I'd be ****** after 2 weeks, especially if they have taken my monies....

This kind of carry on is commonplace in the motor industry.

My last job was for a serious motorsport company.

Mess someone around and they'll go with someone else.

a $50 customer is as important as a $50K customer.

Vote with your feet I say.

For example, I wont ever use Storm Developments again as I wasnt happy with their attitude or customer service levels.

Dave_Bayern said:

Thats spot on Dave,since BBT messed me about I will not use them ever

Dave_Bayern said:
This kind of carry on is commonplace in the motor industry.

My last job was for a serious motorsport company.

For example, I wont ever use Storm Developments again as I wasnt happy with their attitude or customer service levels.

Too right Dave, especially when there's these forums about, it takes a long time to build up reputation, and some people swear by certain company's more than other's, but one bad post can ruin a reputation of any company in a space of 5 minutes, this is the way it is in this day and age... it's like the news, we believe everything we read(almost).

Erm... has this gone way off topic?
I simply posted up about the work ive had done on my car. I felt like i wanted more power but with factory like drivability... This set up gave that and i thought others might be looking for the same.

I DO NOT WORK FOR JBS.
Im just a happy customer.

mbs3 said:
Im going to go this route with a hybrid KO4. Was going to do it this month, but had a big bill for blown head gasket, bent valves, cracked exhaust mani!

I rang turbo dynamics up and they said 450 plus V.AT for a re con hybrid on my turbo, which is basically the same spec as the one from jbs. Ill stick all the info up when its all done after xmas hopefully.

I wondered if the JBS item was the same spec as the turbo dynamics hybrid K04.

When you say "basically", how close is the spec?

jojo said:
I've got to hand it to you HTC, 4 months waiting and to a certain extent, being messed around for those parts, you have good patience my friend, I'd be ****** after 2 weeks, especially if they have taken my monies....

I new it was a good product compared to some other kits. You are probably right I should have made a scene sooner.

S3 Paul said:
Thats forums for ya. Freedom of speech and all that.

Funny thing is, I'm considering JBS (custom code) for my new ecu map. Again, a good product.

I must be mad or something.

S3 Paul said:
I simply posted up about the work ive had done on my car. I felt like i wanted more power but with factory like drivability... This set up gave that and i thought others might be looking for the same.

I DO NOT WORK FOR JBS.
Im just a happy customer.

Hey Paul, back on topic I'm pleased to see the results you got. I've been thinking for sometime now that the hybrid K04 is probably the best set-up for the S3. It will probably be a much faster point-to-point car than a full BT S3 and will all that torque it'll be a hoot to drive. GT28RS and IHI kits might be good for bragging rights, but they not the best for drivability and the power figures aren't really that much higher.

If I were to do it all again, I'd do the hybrid thing. Your internals should be fine, but watch out for your clutch with the torque.

Have you done much else to the car - suspension/brakes wise?

i may only be doing the measley K03S Conversion but i considered JBS because they say they can do it for me all in a day which i need because i have to have the car for work etc.

After reading this doesnt inspire me with much confidence!

Glad your happy with the S3 though, just hope the standard interenals hold up!

Jason

Yeah, back on topic, the figures themselves look awesome.

If this is a viable, and decent upgrade and the internals do indeed stand up (I cant see any reason why a BAM wouldn't) I shall do an about turn and maybe even consider an S3 for my next car.