My S3 Build Thread

Yeah mate she wants a new kitchen so I don't tell her how much I spend on the motor. I know my priorities!!

I think spending like for like is a very fair compromise - 10k on the Kitchen and 10k on the car...... that will give you a very tasty S3

Reactions: mechanic69
but then you end up spending loads on PT sessions and other stuff to keep them fit:)

And before you know it the Audi will be gone along with the Mods!................Id seriously reconsider that Kitchen!

The other alternative is to trade her in, like I did, get the mods done and then see if she wants you back. Risky strategy but worth it :)

Reactions: Compkiler, RedDejavu and s3_trev
The other alternative is to trade her in, like I did, get the mods done and then see if she wants you back. Risky strategy but worth it :)

I just have a separate bank account,and divide the price of everything by at least a factor of 10.

Reactions: Forbzeeee, warren_S5, mechanic69 and 1 other person
so it looks like I'm the only stupid one in here that have joint account:(. What were I thinking!

Reactions: Compkiler, S3Alex, mechanic69 and 1 other person
Latest update:

Went to fit the Bilstein B8s (Part No 35-108191) today but hit a problem. The shock doesn't even clamp the OEM spring when fully tightened, leaves a 2mm gap with the spring rattling, not happy. The eibach spring leaves a 20mm gap. I've contacted Damien at DPM for advice.

There's a shoulder at the top of the shock which prevents the top mount meeting the spring

Here it is with the Eibach

Any help gratefully received, maybe Bilstein do a B8 for lowered springs - heres hoping

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't be of any help on this one, but what a massive pain in the ****. They're definitely the right part number dampers??

Best of luck getting it sorted, Damian is well versed so you're in good hands.

On a brighter note the heat shield from Garage Midnight arrived today so I fitted the REVO race CAI instead.

As for noise, not as loud as I though it would be so really pleased. Gives lovely whooshing noises during acceleration and lift off also when changing gear. Sounds as if the air vents are transmitting the sound to the cabin weird. Not intrusive and unnoticeable at cruising speed. With music on you can hardly notice.

It may well be the placebo effect but it definitely feels more eager under acceleration even on Stage 1.

Oh and don't tell me the engine needs a clean, I know!

Reactions: S3Alex
A TTS engine cover will cure all your woes! Otherwise nice job!

Reactions: S3_Mat and S3Alex
Is the damper longer than the standard damper, it'll be fine once there is weight on the spring, it's just like having coilovers with the helper springs removed.. The spring bounces around when there's no weight on it but once it's sat on the ground the spring will re seat itself.

On a brighter note the heat shield from Garage Midnight arrived today so I fitted the REVO race CAI instead.

As for noise, not as loud as I though it would be so really pleased. Gives lovely whooshing noises during acceleration and lift off also when changing gear. Sounds as if the air vents are transmitting the sound to the cabin weird. Not intrusive and unnoticeable at cruising speed. With music on you can hardly notice.

It may well be the placebo effect but it definitely feels more eager under acceleration even on Stage 1.

Oh and don't tell me the engine needs a clean, I know!

Looking very nice!

I'm sure it's not a placebo effect,as that's currently the best intake for the S3,and looks good into the bargain.

Don't worry about clean...mine usually looks like it's been off-roading.

Is the damper longer than the standard damper, it'll be fine once there is weight on the spring, it's just like having coilovers with the helper springs removed.. The spring bounces around when there's no weight on it but once it's sat on the ground the spring will re seat itself.

The dampers are both the same length but there is a shoulder at the top of the bilsein about 20mm higher than the stock unit preventing it clamp the spring.

I know that under the weight of the car the set up will seat but that doesn't seem right to me. Has any one else fitted this set up?

That cant be right though, so every time the car lifted and the load is taken off the suspension the the front springs are free to rattle around....? Cant see it myself.

Sorry to hear you're having problems mate, I'll be buying these dampers soon enough so very interested in how this pans out for you.

That cant be right though, so every time the car lifted and the load is taken off the suspension the the front springs are free to rattle around....? Cant see it myself.

Sorry to hear you're having problems mate, I'll be buying these dampers soon enough so very interested in how this pans out for you.

Cheers, I would say they will work for standard height springs but I want the front lower, no positive rake, which why I went for the Eibachs. Maybe I should have got the coil overs. Hoping Damien has an answer, he's contacted Bilstein to find out. Keep you all posted.

Saw this thread and thought I'd try it tomorrow, looks like it should work without a manual reset button in the dash. Fingers crossed.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...12-coding-issues-vcds-users-please-check.html

"Settings for the MY11 S3 as follows:

17 - Instruments
- Security Access
— 13861

17 - Instruments
- Coding
-- Added +16 to the first 4 digits.
--- Do It!

Check
17 - Instruments
- Adaption
-- Channel 037 -> Read
--- Test
——Save

(Its worth noting that the above 2 steps activate TPMS in the DIS)

At this point I did get a TPMS warning on the dials

03 - ABS long coding helper

Enabling the bit 1 & 2 in byte 16 and bit 2 in byte 17 are vital. ( and easily missed)

19 can gateway long coding byte 1 bit 4

Drive 100kms for system to learn values

Last edited:
Cheers, I would say they will work for standard height springs but I want the front lower, no positive rake, which why I went for the Eibachs. Maybe I should have got the coil overs. Hoping Damien has an answer, he's contacted Bilstein to find out. Keep you all posted.

Something ain't right mate B8's are designed for lowered springs, they sell the B12 Pro-Kit for most cars which is B8 dampers and Pro-Kit springs as a package.

I'm sure Damien will hook you up.

Something ain't right mate B8's are designed for lowered springs, they sell the B12 Pro-Kit for most cars which is B8 dampers and Pro-Kit springs as a package.

I'm sure Damien will hook you up.

When you say pro kit springs do you mean Eibachs or do Bilstein do their own? Theres no way I want to fit the shocker unless it clamps the spring before fitting to the car can't see this is correct. Also its worth noting you don't need the spring compressors to fit the Eibachs to the standard dampers they just about clamp them which is what I expected from the bilsteins.

When you say pro kit springs do you mean Eibachs or do Bilstein do their own? Theres no way I want to fit the shocker unless it clamps the spring before fitting to the car can't see this is correct. Also its worth noting you don't need the spring compressors to fit the Eibachs to the standard dampers they just about clamp them which is what I expected from the bilsteins.

The Bilstein B12 Pro-Kit is Bilstein B8 dampers and Eibach Pro-Kit springs, I bought the kit for my previous Focus ST3 and ****** great it was too.

BILSTEIN B12 Pro-Kit

Agreed, I'd not be fitting them like that either.

Reactions: mechanic69
The Bilstein B12 Pro-Kit is Bilstein B8 dampers and Eibach Pro-Kit springs, I bought the kit for my previous Focus ST3 and ****** great it was too.

BILSTEIN B12 Pro-Kit

Agreed, I'd not be fitting them like that either.

Yeah looking at the damper photo its way shorter than the ones I've got, must be the wrong ones.

Yeah looking at the damper photo its way shorter than the ones I've got, must be the wrong ones.

That's a generic pic that one mate.

This is the damper you should have received:

35-108191.bmp.jpg

That's a generic pic that one mate.

This is the damper you should have received:

35-108191.bmp.jpg

This is what I've got

looks the same but that shoulder at the top prevents the top mount meeting the spring??? did you get the pro springs with it?

Yeah looks the same.

I aint got them yet mate, had them on a previous Focus that's all.

I got that pic from the Bilstein online catalogue.

are you 100% sure the part number is for an s3?

would make sense if you've got one for an a3 being that bit longer?

They're the right ones according to the Bilstein online catalogue and every site I've been searching through for the last hour to try and help.

its just a stab in the dark as I've no idea when it comes to dampers on their own, but i was just thinking to check your part numbers against the ones on what you ordered to check you have the correct dampers.

im not sure if s3 dampers are shorter than a3 dampers but id have thought so what with the s3 being 30mm lower than an a3, which is where I'm thinking you've got the extra length on the dampers you've been given..

its just a stab in the dark as I've no idea when it comes to dampers on their own, but i was just thinking to check your part numbers against the ones on what you ordered to check you have the correct dampers.

im not sure if s3 dampers are shorter than a3 dampers but id have thought so what with the s3 being 30mm lower than an a3, which is where I'm thinking you've got the extra length on the dampers you've been given..

yeah part numbers are the same and the advert says for S3 8P, if it is for standard springs they would be OK but not for lowered springs which is what I want.

Last edited:
Used VCDS to recode and got TPMS working

Heres how

You have to code 3 modules
17 - Instruments
03 - ABS
19 - Can bus gateway

First
17 - Instruments
- Security Access
— 13861
- Do it!

17 - Instruments
- Coding
-- Added +16 to the first 4 digits. (xx??)
--- Do It!

17 - Instruments
- Adaption
-- Channel 037 -> Read
--Change xx?x to 1
--- Test
——Save

That activated TPMS in the DIS

03 - ABS long coding helper

Byte 16 - there is no tick box for bit 1 so change xxxxxx?x from 0 to 1 you should see code change to 3F

Byte 16 - tick bit 2

Byte 17 - tick bit 2

close and do it!

19 - CAN gateway long coding byte 1 bit 4

Now run a system check and clear any codes.

When you turn on the TMPS tire warning light shows with the ESP etc. then check the menu in the DIS you should see this

Make sure the tyres are at correct pressure then reset the system

confirm yes

Drive 100kms for system to learn values - happy driving

Reactions: S3Alex
Good job wish my 10 plate did could take the coding :( any word on your dampers?

Without the CAI I noticed the DV+ worked so much smoother and responsive compared to with the CAI - what do you think?

To be honest Jay, this is the first turbo car I've had and I fitted the DV+ within the first week. I'm still getting used to the different ways and noises this car makes. All I can tell on limited mileage is the CAI adds another suite of noises to the turbo, DV+ and exhaust. But it does put a smile on my face.

Reactions: Brodster and S3Alex