My S3 Build Thread

I like the alu with the blue and agree with the fog grills with alu surround will tie everything together. I am tempted to paint my splitter and rear diffuser LAP6(alu matt)

Reactions: mechanic69
I went for the black/alu as I too thought the all black would be too much against the blue, really happy with it! Just waiting for my new S3 badge to come now.

Attachments

• upload_2016-11-28_8-38-36.png
    upload_2016-11-28_8-38-36.png
    256 bytes · Views: 337
Reactions: mechanic69 and leshkin
I really like the all-aluminium finish - it ties in well with the mirrors and, for me, adds a fresher/different look to the front vs the black/alu. black options. The chrome surrounds for the fog lights would set this off nicely. If you can paint he surrounds in a matte aluminium finish, that would probably be perfect. Just my opinion.

@mechanic69 if you are ever tempted to paint the grill, I'd be potentially interested in a px ;)

I'd be interested in what you think of the PS4s

I need some winter boots soon.

Ps4 are incredible tyres. so impressive on wet and rain. They just grip like it's dry!!.

had a great drive out today for an hour and a half and it bucketed it down, the PS4s ignored the standing water excellently, no pull whatsoever, braking excellent to. Direction and turn in great can't fault them

Another vote for the PS4 tyre here. I've had them on for 9 months now and have yet to fault on anything as they're just superb. Driven hard in both wet and dry conditions of which they've managed everything I've thrown at them, they and the quattro system managed to withstand aggressive braking from 80mph down to a stand still on the motorway which enabled me to narrowly avoid a split second accident.

Reactions: mechanic69 and S3Alex
You need to remove the rs3 from the badge holder then cut it at an angle to match other side. Then attach the S3 and then attach it to the grill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to remove the rs3 from the badge holder then cut it at an angle to match other side. Then attach the S3 and then attach it to the grill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got as far as taking the rs3 bits off, but struggled with sticking the s3 logos on, made a right mess of it. Didn't think of trimming the holder down good tip, who do you attach the s3 badge?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3M tape mate! You take the S3 logo off too and then use 3M tape to attach the S and 3 to the RS badge holer

IMG_3648_zpsip0bvjlz.jpg

Reactions: HHS3
bf3733caf9db566079e1eeab95c304dc.jpg

Changed the bulbs on the headlights. Massive improvement over my old stock bulbs.

****** pain to fit, had to take bumper off in the end. You just can't get enough grip on the buggers by taking the wheel arch liners out!

Here's hoping not to be doing this again any time soon.

Reactions: leshkin
It seems that most modern cars are not designed to have serviceable lightbulbs on the side of the road, which I always found to be a bit odd. I spent a solid 40 minutes helping a friend replace a blown bulb on a Honda Jazz last year - also had to go through the wheel arch, which was a right nightmare.

Is the improvement you saw mostly in terms of brightness, light temp or has the pattern improved too? I'd imagine that the latter is more down to the reflectors mostly. Would be interesting to see the difference side-by-side as I also think that my lights could be improved, although in my case it's mostly down to the light pattern rather than the brightness. Might see if I can get mine adjusted by someone more competent and with proper equipment at some point.

Just read through all 17 pages, and it's a great thread, some brilliant ideas and images to help, I've got a long list of things I want to do to mine and have taken a lot of ideas! Look forward to reading more

I am very disappointed with Audi xenon lights as they are poor compared to the ones i was used to in my BMW .

It seems that most modern cars are not designed to have serviceable lightbulbs on the side of the road, which I always found to be a bit odd. I spent a solid 40 minutes helping a friend replace a blown bulb on a Honda Jazz last year - also had to go through the wheel arch, which was a right nightmare.

Is the improvement you saw mostly in terms of brightness, light temp or has the pattern improved too? I'd imagine that the latter is more down to the reflectors mostly. Would be interesting to see the difference side-by-side as I also think that my lights could be improved, although in my case it's mostly down to the light pattern rather than the brightness. Might see if I can get mine adjusted by someone more competent and with proper equipment at some point.

Colour is on the bluer side rather than yellow, but not the boy race blue if you know what I mean. Pattern stays same but the beam is much stronger and longer, you can see the main beam like a torch.

Bulbs are pricy at 75£ each but the standards are crap compared to these

Just read through all 17 pages, and it's a great thread, some brilliant ideas and images to help, I've got a long list of things I want to do to mine and have taken a lot of ideas! Look forward to reading more

Hope you have fun modding

New bit turned up but not as simple as I thought, trimmed edges with sander to fit hole, went well, got it plugged in and fired up and worked fine.

Problem when pushing into place the metal tabs don't locate properly, having checked the back of the unit it looks like there is a lip on the bottom of the old unit that is missing on the new one. This is the only difference so must be the problem.

Back to the drawing board

New bit turned up but not as simple as I thought, trimmed edges with sander to fit hole, went well, got it plugged in and fired up and worked fine.

Problem when pushing into place the metal tabs don't locate properly, having checked the back of the unit it looks like there is a lip on the bottom of the old unit that is missing on the new one. This is the only difference so must be the problem.

Back to the drawing board

Looks like I need T9 bit / screwdriver to swap the backs over, trust my luck Ive got 5,6,7 then 10!!!!!

Must say it definitely looks better and matches the dash all the heated seat buttons are much better then those fiddly dials

Looks like I need T9 bit / screwdriver to swap the backs over, trust my luck Ive got 5,6,7 then 10!!!!!

Must say it definitely looks better and matches the dash all the heated seat buttons are much better then those fiddly dials

Are there still 6 settings on the heat adjust or is it just 3 with the new switches?

Are there still 6 settings on the heat adjust or is it just 3 with the new switches?

3, hit the button and you get 3 lights full temp, then push again to go done and off

I need to check the settings in the control module because my old unit had a max temp of 42 and the thread suggests 55 for an 8P

Just for info on my 2011 plate the heat settings are:
1 14 degrees
2 19
3 24
4 32 on channel 24
5 37 on channel 25
6 42 on channel 26

In the HVAC module you can adjust channels 24 to 26 but I can't find where to change lower temps.

Hoping the new module only has 24 to 26 to make my life easier.

Wonder how hot the seats can go without boiling me nads??

How hard was the cruise control retrofit|?

Id say that would depend on 3 things:
1 how new your car is - mine had the highline steering module and repair wire to the engine bay already fitted;
2 how good you are this requires a bit of know how and confidence;
3 whether you have VCDS as you need to code 3 modules if I remember right.

I tried the mod on my 54 plate V6 and never got it to work.

The install on this car was pretty straight forward but I had done it once before.

Reactions: sliced
I've been thinking about getting my climate control module swapped out too. Other than the colour, the seat heating controls are my next biggest gripe with it. The wheel is pretty fiddly and looks like button is a much better way to control them even if it's just three settings.
I better set up some eBay searches to hunt for one of these

Sent from a mobile device, please forgive typos :)

I've been thinking about getting my climate control module swapped out too. Other than the colour, the seat heating controls are my next biggest gripe with it. The wheel is pretty fiddly and looks like button is a much better way to control them even if it's just three settings.
I better set up some eBay searches to hunt for one of these

Sent from a mobile device, please forgive typos :)

Same issue for me, check the link to eBay.de above. Mine was used but in A1 condition. I got mine though the English eBay from the German seller