My S3 Build Thread

loving it, the noise increase is not much over stock but it does make pops and farts from the gear changes or the turbo not sure but does sound better than stock. Performance wise also not so easy to say as i remapped straight after fitting it. it does feel like the engine can breath easier tho and it seemed to rev up quicker, may be placebo effect but who cares I like it

Thanks. It was reading your thread and then searching the forum for BCS which made me think this might be something to consider in the future with my 2.0TSI. I'm not so inclined to spend £1k+ on the full BCS/ Mitech full kit and I'm not en route to stage 2. But the sound on stock isnt the best & you know how this place makes you think 'oh that sounds like a good idea, maybe I should/could do that...!'

Speedwise I actually had 'Stage 1' done last month and that is sufficient for me for my daily driving needs. I read that the emissions light may come on after doing the exhaust mod, if you have had it mapped beforehand?

Intercooler fit Part 2

First bumper and lights off again then dropped the radiator fans off from below

Next after a bit of a struggle lifted the radiator out from the top

Then the stock intercooler drops down and out

An empty engine bay!

The Wagner ready to go in...

Intercooler, rad and fans back in. What a faff. Had to elongate the radiator fixing holes to make it fit and theres no way the aircon pipe brake to the rear can be fixed to the intercooler, what a job. This bit took a couple of hours of swearing and cut hands, never again lol

Satin black bumper bar back on

Bumper and lights back in

All rest of the arch trims fitted etc and one happy man

One slight issue to sort as the turbo to intercooler pipe is a bit kinked, think its a bit too long or its hitting the aircon pipes that can't be fixed to the intercooler, did a short run after and the mass air flow is a bit down on before so I need to sort it later.

Did this on my own so it can be done but a second pair of hands would have been ****** useful. Never again........
Good job mate. I did same grill on mine this weekend. The grill is better quality than I expected. Shame you can't fit the S3 badge onto it though. I will find a solution to this little I ssue.

Intercooler will be my next upgrade before getting uprated HPFP. Now I know what a horrible job it is, thanks lol

Good job mate. I did same grill on mine this weekend. The grill is better quality than I expected. Shame you can't fit the S3 badge onto it though. I will find a solution to this little I ssue.

Intercooler will be my next upgrade before getting uprated HPFP. Now I know what a horrible job it is, thanks lol

I took both badges to pieces and swapped the letters over, I didn't think it looked good so rather run without a badge

Thanks. It was reading your thread and then searching the forum for BCS which made me think this might be something to consider in the future with my 2.0TSI. I'm not so inclined to spend £1k+ on the full BCS/ Mitech full kit and I'm not en route to stage 2. But the sound on stock isnt the best & you know how this place makes you think 'oh that sounds like a good idea, maybe I should/could do that...!'

Speedwise I actually had 'Stage 1' done last month and that is sufficient for me for my daily driving needs. I read that the emissions light may come on after doing the exhaust mod, if you have had it mapped beforehand?

If your only going stage 1 I wouldn't bother with the the bcs front pipe, spend the money on a new back box if it's only noise youre after

Thanks again; thinking about it then noise isn't that important in the scheme of things. Its a 4 pot after all. Back box is pointless. Waste of money (for me). Reading threads like yours makes you think & have admiration and respect for the time and endeavours you and others put into things. And tempts you into thinking about, what if.. or why don't I... But the reality is I have tens of other far more enjoyable and deserving areas to spend my time / funds and there's no need for me to tart up my 2.0TFSI any more. Its fine as it is and your thoughts have led to me thinking more and potentially saved me a fair amount of cash 'wasted'.

Reactions: grchmason
Finally an update on my motor after I broke my leg 6 weeks ago, now back on two legs so motor can get some of the bits stuck in the garage bolted too it...

But first a wash, polish, seal and wax...

Gonna sort the wheels then add some Heko deflectors for a trial tomorrow... then do some VDCS logs before fitting the CTS turbo outlet pipe....

Good to be back in the motor after six weeks it really shifts, feels like the horses have bred..

Reactions: DJ_26
Fitted the CTS turbo to intercooler kit today, now it doesn't come with instructions so heres some tips....

Firstly get the car on stands, remove drivers wheel and inner arch linings.

Then remove the stock pipes from the intercooler to the turbo by undoing the spring & jubilee clips and two screws from the side of the sump.

Then remove the 3 10mm bolt from the turbo silencer and remove.

Prep the CTS bits by transferring the metal/rubber gearbox mounts and take the o-ring off of the old silencer.

Re-fit the o-ring in the turbo outlet groove, hold it with petroleum jelly, then fit the new outlet adapter

Next refit the CTS metal and hose sections, leave loose until in the correct orientation and fix in place, take care with the gearbox mount bolts as they go into ally and are easy to cross thread. Also the silicon pipe to the turbo is a XXXX to line up and needed a crowbar to get it into the correct orientation. Lastly refit the pipe to the intercooler and check all fixings are sound....done.

Did some VCDS logs before and after and there is definitely more air going in, guess it needs a custom map to make the most of it.

One last thing the sound is amazing.

Reactions: audis3UK, Dan-Jnr, GGG_666 and 3 others
Finally fitted the CTS throttle pipe today...

Old and new bits

New pipe ready to go in... Note 1 the pipe to the throttle body needed 10mm cut off it to allow the bottom mount to locate properly and note 2 take the radiator fans out or the old pipe won't come out

Fully located and positioned before the rad fans and intercooler pipe were fitted

Some have said they get a loss of torque after fitting but I can't say I have noticed...

Now I'm ready for the custom map me thinks or that TTE420 I've been dreaming off.......

Reactions: Dt_racing, Dan-Jnr, grchmason and 1 other person
Did a few power runs on vcds collecting logs today, my brakes got hot and juddered like **** they felt OK at low speeds so I don't think the discs are warped, any ideas???

Did a few power runs on vcds collecting logs today, my brakes got hot and juddered like **** they felt OK at low speeds so I don't think the discs are warped, any ideas???

Note to self - take care of new discs they were warped and now they are 250 quids worth of scrap metal...ouch.

Oh well had to replace the front discs so I got these puppies

http://www.awesomegti.com/brand/vagbremtechnic/vagbremtechnic-j-hooked-340mm-front-brake-discs-91257

1.9kg lighter than stock and nice 'J' Hooked design

IMG_2994_zpslyhomv7a.jpg

While I was at it I got another shiny bit for the engine, ECS dip stick, nice bit of kit.

Just need to sort those hoses!

Next job is to fit a stud kit for the HPFP so I can finish this years service.....

Reactions: DJ_26 and Dan-Jnr
Nice update, pretty much ready for that TTE420. I highly recommend you do it.

Dear Santa, I've been a good boy this year and just wondered if you could put somethings under my tree

R-Tech custom Stage 3 map

TTE420

BCS CAT back powervalve

TTRS/RS3 LPFP 8J0919051E

AKS 155 bar PRV

runner flap delete

Heres hoping????

Reactions: Marshy and S3Alex
What side of the car does the turbo discharge pipe fit? Is it the passenger side?

Studs arrived today so of to the garage we go!!

I used M6 x 80mm studs with collar nuts. Only issues I had was to shorten the studs by about 6mm to make a neat job. Also I had to take a bit of the diameter of one of the collar nuts to fit.

http://www.wdsltd.co.uk/product/3213/steel-studs-metric-wds-405

http://www.wdsltd.co.uk/product/3211/collar-nut-steel-metric-wds-404

Before

HPFP out of the way, left the rubber hose on

Cam follower and HPFP seal replaced

This is the wear after about 15000 miles, ****** all really

Studs thread locked in place after a dry fit and check.

Finally all fitted, the collar nut top left needed fettling slightly to fit down the body of the pump

now wheres that TTE420???

Neat little update for the rear wiper. Converted to 8v aero blade type.

Thanks to http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/rear-wiper-arm-options.228784/

IMG 3248

To this..

IMG 3250

Part nos
Wiper Arm 8V3 955 407 1P9 (Black)
Wiper Blade 8V3 955 425
Wiper Arm Cap 4G9 955 205
Washer Jet 8V3 955 985

Everything is a straight swap. I didn't change the washer jet and it didn't match the holes in the new cap so its got a washer under it to lift into place, adjusted jets and works fine. Just ordered the proper one of eBay so should fix it, as I want it done properly!

Reactions: leshkin and S.
Oh, I really like that idea! Will have to do the same for my wiper too! Thanks for the details.

Sent from a mobile device, please forgive typos :)

Nice updates. You thought about swapping the front grilles with ones with chrome/alu fog surrounds? Defo brighten up the front ;)

Black optics pack has black fog rings.
Cars with chrome grill from factory have chrome rings.

Been reading up on these guys http://royalsteeringwheels.com

Ordered one of these for fitting on the 9th Sept. My wheels all shiny and slippery so hoping this will finish off the inside nicely.

Thicker Perforated leather sides Nappa top bottom Silver light grey stitching

They retrim an OEM wheel and transfer your bits onto it while you wait. Think 130 quid is a good deal.

Watch this space........

Reactions: RedDejavu and slinemfc
How much was the wiper conversion pal

Been reading up on these guys http://royalsteeringwheels.com

Ordered one of these for fitting on the 9th Sept. My wheels all shiny and slippery so hoping this will finish off the inside nicely.

View attachment 101455

They retrim an OEM wheel and transfer your bits onto it while you wait. Think 130 quid is a good deal.

Watch this space........

I know someone whose used them and cannot recommend them enough. He had the wheel retrimmed in alcantara on his RS3

Not to bad thanks pal, I'll get mine done next weekend