Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Adam P, Oct 1, 2012.
Good job here bud! Decided not to go hybrid?
Wow great progress mate.
Nice picture of the adapter on the Turbo I had no idea it was that big
Cheers mate, its been and still is a massive learning curve for me but it has been great fun and i can't wait to fire it up! I had a look into the hybrid route and decided to strengthen the engine as i was half way there anyway incase hybrid or BT happen in the future. Top end stage 2 will do me nicely for the time being.
Almost there dude
Yeah am getting there now, spent this evening fitting/tightening up the driveshaft and propshaft, modifying the removed heat shield and reinstalling, fitting power steering pump, alternator and tensioner and lining up the down pipe and decat properly to meet the exhaust system. One annoying thing tho, i have lost one bolt, the long one for the dogbone mount i suppose if i have only lost one out of the lot i can't complain.
I am getting close now, just have the wiring and pipework plumbing left to do. On the wiring front i have a spare complete loom which i will be using to replace burnt/damaged wires and broken connectors/clips. Whilst the fuel rail was off and disconnected i decided to give the injectors, rail and FPR a clean. Big thanks to S3 Dave's "how to guide" in the stickies section for injector cleaning. The amount of muck which came out of them definitely made the job worth wile. Here is a picture after they had been cleaned.
Mineral running in engine oil and filter will be here Friday and im waiting on a dog-bone bolt.
Finally i have completed my first engine rebuild
Iv just got back from taking the car around the block and she feels brilliant.
After another weekend dedicated solely to the s3 its complete. Came across some minor issues, power steering pump noises, relocation of sensors, clutch bleeding and gearbox oil all over the place but its all good now. Anyway a few pics below.
A bit of soldering in the sun whilst fitting the badger 5 tip
FMIC and pipework reinstalled and levels checking
Wheels back on and securing front headlight ballasts
The final product
I have reset the mileage counter and ready to start my run in period now. The car really feels healthy and ticks over nicely. The down pipe and decat give a nice tone and i have no leaks from the block or pipework in the engine bay. Finally i can put my feet up and relax now the car is complete. Its been worth it, when i started it up for the first time i was as happy as a fat kid in a cake shop!
The car is filthy so please excuse the state, it will be washed asap and then some more mods before mapping. I want to say a big thanks to everyone on here who has helped and advised me with this rebuild project. I really don't think i would have been able to do it without this forum and a good group of mates. :beer chug:
Top work fella and congrats on turning around a major issue and making something positive about it. onwards and upwards now my friend so bring on the POWAH!!!!
Well done dude... great feeling isn't it
Cheers mate! yeah it was awesome! there have been some highs and some lows thats for sure, but absolutely chuffed its back on the road.
Iv just sent you a pm ref a couple of items but not sure if it sent as my wifi dropped out.
BRAKES NEXT :read it:
Nothing in my inbox mate
Update time, the car is now 350 miles into its initial run in period. The car feels great much tighter than before and runs smoothly and sounds great especially with the down pipe and decat now on there. Anyhow, last week saw a couple of small niggles arise. I noticed a small oil leak when under the car at the mot station and this was due to the oil level sensor not being tight enough in the sump, cleaned up the area then tightened and there are no more leaks. The car passed with no advisories which was a nice surprise! The second issue was initially worrying but thanks to the 'fountain of knowledge' also known as Tufty everything is now sorted and the car is fault free. The car cut out a couple of times and through up a fault on the scanner, so with advice from tufty i replaced the cam sensor then the crank shaft sensor and this has solved my issue. I want to upgrade my fmic then head down to bill for mapping once the engine has been run in. Just washed the car this evening and can't wait to get down to badger 5. Treated it to a sticker too.
Also went to Good-wood festival of speed a couple of weekends back so here are a couple of pics for you other enthusiasts. ENJOY!
Ok so a small update. I have now clocked 1000miles on the new engine and everything has settled nicely. All levels are good and no oil leaks or faults. I am booked into long life exhaust centre in basingstoke for next weekend to have a few exhaust niggles sorted out, they are raising the centre, sleeving where the de-cat meets the rest of the system properly and welding a few bits for me. (only so much i can do on a stoney driveway) Next on the list is double checking the propshaft and driveshaft bolts and replacing a nackered cv boot. Having read other members builds and taking advice from Bill my current HKS FMIC is inadequate so before making the trip to badger 5 i thought it was worth while getting the recommended wellycooler. So it turned up today, just waiting for a bit of pipework to arrive monday then will fit it.
The final piece of the jigsaw is another oil change then it will be the exciting trip up-to see Bill in October. Cant wait!