My S3 1,000 Mile Review.

steeve

Reaction score
It's taken some time, ten weeks (less than 100 miles a week? I must get out more) and I'm not quite there yet. Just a few miles to go.

I bought a new A3 TDi 184 at the beginning of November last year. It was only when I went to collect it I saw an S3 in the show room. I must admit that for one reason and another I hadn't considered an S3.

I've had a few quick cars over the years and the last few new cars had been diesels. I really was beginning to miss the performance. So with much discussion I managed to persuade 'er indoors that a change needed to be made.

I've driven stronic versions but I'm not a fan and personally prefer a manual. It's just a personal preference thing.

I managed to get a great price for the A3 trade in and was checking what S3's were built and in stock. Nothing appealed but the sales guy managed to offer me an already ordered car that was just still configurable. So spec was decided, and a Misano Red S3 was ordered. Within a few days the 2015 spec was published and I saw that Sepang (yes that dreaded Blue colour) was now available as a standard option. So spec was updated with Sepang and red callipers added.

As it was an already ordered car I was lucky enough to collect it within a few weeks of ordering it.

They were not to clean it or fit number plates I'd get my own made and fit them on collection. I'm a bit OCD about level and central number plates.

Cleaning and waxing took two days of hard work with another half day to paint the hubs.

So what can I say? Well it's all my own opinion of course, so please don't shoot me if you have differing opinions.
I just love the car, I'm always one to take car in running in seriously, sticking to around 3K rpm for the first 500 miles then gradually increasing the max revs with the odd short blast until at 1000 I'm good to go. So far I've never had a car that uses any oil, so I must be doing something right?

Whilst I'm not yet taking it round to the red line it sure does go, better than I remember the demo car I had for a while. But that's probably just my memory.
Brakes are pretty good and road holding is excellent feeling sure footed and well planted on the road. Whilst suspension is firm I don't find it uncomfortably so. Like many motorcyclists I do tend to spot and avoid manholes, pot holes etc. when ever I can.

The cabin is superb, very similar to the A3 I had but of all the competitors cars I looked at it is easily the highest quality. Seats are comfortable and very supportive, even though I suffer from a lower back problem I do not miss adjustable lumbar support.

Engine noise is great, I'm not sure how much of that is down to the sound actor on the bulk head.

I stuck with the standard S3 wheels, which I do like and find them easy to clean. After having 19" wheels on a TTS I prefer the extra comfort that the 18" wheels provide.

The car looks beautiful, I'm always taken every time I look at it, the colour is just stunning. Though I wouldn't recommend it to any one else of course...........! Although the red callipers are expensive and over priced I'm still glad I had them, they do add a dash of colour to car. It attracts a lot of attention, which I'm not sure is necessarily a good thing. The four tail pipes look good don't they?

As I mentioned its a manual, and I find the clutch is nicely weighted and the gearbox has quite close ratios with a relatively short throw.

Would I change anything? Other than the oil and filter, which gets done this Friday, no nothing.
Would I recommend one, absolutely, would I prefer a Golf R? Not having driven one I would still say no as the interior just isn't such a nice place to be.

The only problem I've noticed is a rattle from around the glove box area, I think this may be the rattling / rustling noise seen by a few others, I'll mention it at the dealers on Friday.

Steve
DSC 0185small

Last edited:
Reactions: A3_Rider, nadsi77, dannyAshcroft89 and 5 others
If your initial order was Misano Red and you liked it, why did you change to Sepang Blue knowing you wouldn't like the colour?

If your initial order was Misano Red and you liked it, why did you change to Sepang Blue knowing you wouldn't like the colour?

I didn't say I didn't like it, I said I wouldn't recommend it. There's far too many Sepang S3's being ordered, like black Model T Fords.

It is a stunning colour, and its far too popular........................ which I suppose is understandable.

I wouldn't say it's far too popular as I've yet to see one on the road. However good write up :icon thumright:

Reactions: Ben Daniel Grant
Great review, thanks. It's good to hear from someone who likes the car for what it is and is happy with their purchase. I hope to be in the same boat in a couple of months.

Great review Steve :thumbs up:

Looks like I may be going the other way to you buddy. From sepang blue TO misano red :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: David83S3 and steeve
I think I know where Steve is coming from now.... please no one else buy Sepang blue.... it's a rubbish colour!!!! (I want to be unique) lol

Reactions: steeve
I think I know where Steve is coming from now.... please no one else buy Sepang blue.... it's a rubbish colour!!!! (I want to be unique) lol

You're my new best friend......................:anbet::applaus:

Reactions: Ceho and Pulp84
Good review. Love the colour - it's seriously nice! :hi:

Haha Liquid you finally understand steve now!

I like the review, shame about the colour ;)