1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My radio is rubbish at picking up stations... Arial?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by S3 Paul, Nov 1, 2012.

1. S3 Paul

S3 Paul Well-Known Member
    Regional Rep

My 2001 S3 has an Alpine head unit ( came with the car 5 years ago)
    The radio reception has never been 100% but now im lucky if it will pick up and hold even the big stations.
    When i bought the car the arial mast was shot so i replaced it ... However Audi reckon there is only the Genuine one that will work right? Problem was that was about 5 x the cost of any other... So i went with a lexus item ( slightly stubby) but ive tried others and non are great.
    Is this common? has water got in the arial base?
    Is there anything i can do apart from ripping it off and starting again??

2. VAB

VAB Member

Paul, pull the head unit out and check that when the alpine unit was installed that they put an antenna amplifier/ booster in. It goes between the head unit and the arial arial lead.

You do not need this with the factory Bose units, but the Alpine unit probably does need it. If this is the case and it has not been put in then you will only received strong radio signals - could be your issue.

3. S3 Paul

S3 Paul Well-Known Member
    Regional Rep

Its a DVD "AV" head unit with the remote brain away from the head unit,
    Where would this AMP be?
    The arial wire just looks like its plugged into an extension lead that goes directly to the brain.

4. TDIQ

TDIQ 8L > 8P > 8V