My poor old A4's not as cool as it used to be!

benjie

Reaction score
Swindon - home of the 'Magic' Roundabout.
I know very little about air conditioning systems, so here goes.

Car is a 2003 1.9 TDI B6 A4 with the standard 2 zone climate control.

It's had a problem for over a year now really. On moderate days (15-20 degress) after sitting for a day in the sun, I get in and open the windows to let the hot air out. I turn on air con to 21 and leave it. Fan speed will go to 1 or 2 bars and stay there for about 3min, pumping out cool air. Then after that the fan speed goes to 4-6 and pumps out cool (not cold) air. So all is fine, despite it not doing what it should.

On a hotter day, or if I put the air con on LO, the fans go crazy and just pump out ambient air.

So that's the problem. It was recharged a year ago (professionally) and there are no fault codes stored.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem is? It strikes me as a problem with wear somewhere in the system - because it works when running at low speed, but not faster.

Any ideas gratefully received!

I know very little about air conditioning systems, so here goes.

Car is a 2003 1.9 TDI B6 A4 with the standard 2 zone climate control.

It's had a problem for over a year now really. On moderate days (15-20 degress) after sitting for a day in the sun, I get in and open the windows to let the hot air out. I turn on air con to 21 and leave it. Fan speed will go to 1 or 2 bars and stay there for about 3min, pumping out cool air. Then after that the fan speed goes to 4-6 and pumps out cool (not cold) air. So all is fine, despite it not doing what it should.

On a hotter day, or if I put the air con on LO, the fans go crazy and just pump out ambient air.

So that's the problem. It was recharged a year ago (professionally) and there are no fault codes stored.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem is? It strikes me as a problem with wear somewhere in the system - because it works when running at low speed, but not faster.

Any ideas gratefully received!

hi the faster your vent fans run the more load placed on your a/c it sounds like a capacity issue when your fans are running flat out if you check your suction pipe (largest pipe from the cabin to the compressor) should have condensation/sweat on it that is a good sign it is fully charged your condenser / radiator fans should also be cycling on and off