My ongoing knock.

Y83OLK

Hulk Smash!
Reaction score
Hi all,
Im going to document this untill i find the knock.

Basically, I drove over a cobbled road a few months ago and it sounded like all four wheels were about to fall off.
so once home i jacked up each wheel to check for free-play/ movement.
nothing anywhere.

So far, replaced all four drop links, no change.
Dogbone poly mount, no change - other than vibration on idle for a few days.
Both front track rod ends... Again no change.

Today i renewed front and rear ARB bushes, i dont think its cured it.... But im going to look for a cobbled road, see if its cured it.
Also painted up the Balljoints today... so next step will be renewing the pair.

Callum

I cant get any movement out of them, however they are on the list.
A 5ft tyre lever under the bush should get some movement out of them lol

My order will be Balljoints>Wishbone bushes>Rack ends> subframe bushes> topmounts + shocks> New car

sounds like a lot of work and wasted effort if you dont actually know the cause of the noise

Nope, no oil around the shocks.
It would be work and wasted effort if i never find the knock. However, all the parts so far look to have been the original items so nearly 10years old.
Which im quite happy to replace, if they last annother 10 years.

engine mounts if everything else is ok, they perish from inside out so may look ok

Renewed my balljoints this morning... £54 for the pair from GSF.
Noise has now gone, Just had my 4 wheel alignment done.. Results were a bit odd, however ill start a new thread for that.

sounds like a lot of work and wasted effort if you dont actually know the cause of the noise

To be fair mate, I've got a knocking coming from my S3 that has been getting progressively worse for a while now - and be damned if I can figure where it's coming from.

It's low down on the suspension though as going along at 70 MPH I can feel it through the floor pan. It's in the garage today as I can't do anything further with it without a ramp - can't really pry stuff and swing about when led on your back :(

It must be that time of year! I have exactly the same problem. Replaced all the bushes, mountings and bearings and it still knocks! Can't make it do it will stationary, jacked up or on stands, yet drive over the smallest stone or cats eye and it clatters like buggery! GOing to have to check/change the ball joints now, only thing left.

I couldnt find anything wrong with the balljoints prior to removal, however when off the vehicle they were loose as hell.
Dont forget to mark your arms before you renew them.

It must be that time of year! I have exactly the same problem. Replaced all the bushes, mountings and bearings and it still knocks! Can't make it do it will stationary, jacked up or on stands, yet drive over the smallest stone or cats eye and it clatters like buggery! GOing to have to check/change the ball joints now, only thing left.

Mine has got a knock too, i get it when i lift off power (had engine mounts checked, yest) & i got it tonight pulling slowly up a drive & turning. I was thinking CV / Driveshaft or Lower arms.

& also get it on the door (im sure thats the door bracket though... spray grease) :)