1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Daft Old Sod

Daft Old Sod New Member

Hi all

After several months of driving everything from an Evo X to AM V8 Vantage in my hunt for a replacement for my aging wreck I finally settled on the sensible option and bought this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apart from now being on first name terms with all petrol station staff within a 20 mile radius of home It's awsome.

Been lingering around the forum for a while and decided it was time to say hello [​IMG]

2. Ash187

Ash187 Audi-Retrofits.co.uk Site Sponsor VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro Audi A5

hello and welcome!

so you settled with an A3 after having a V8 Aston??? thats like my dream car... and no offence to anyone (dont know why i say that when i also own one) but why the A3?

3. DrDavidBanner

DrDavidBanner New Member

Nice, I've got those alloys on mine

4. Ash B

Ash B Well-Known Member

welcome and congratz on the new car :happy:
    Hope your enjoying it, looks lovely

5. Jules86

Jules86 At work most likely

Not everyone wants to spend a fortune on a car. My mums boyfriend picked a 325i over various cars (bentley GT, maserati granturismo, audi R8) as he wasnt hugely fussed and it fitted everything he wanted.

6. Ash187

Ash187 Audi-Retrofits.co.uk Site Sponsor VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro Audi A5

yh good point, im just surprised thats all, i would love to own an Aston sometime in my life... just seems a little weird to me that he would choose one of the smallest in the Audi range... that being said it is a cracking car! and he did pick one of the best sounding engines!

7. Jules86

Shame he didnt get the Golf version as it sounds better :undwech:

;)

8. Adamantium

Adamantium Member

Aston V8 is quite a dissapointment as an ownership prospect. Shocking residuals, dodgy electronics, and despite been achingly beautiful, completely outclassed on the performance front by its rivals.

9. Jules86

A mapped S3 would shock a V8 aston, look lovely though.

10. Ash187

ok well the true dream car (or as i like to put it 'retirement car') i want is one of the Aston DB9's... maybe a DBS :)

11. Jules86

I'll take a carbon edition please

[​IMG]

12. nally

nally MPG the new BPH

nice choise

13. Daft Old Sod

Daft Old Sod New Member

Thanks for the welcome guys & girls. To answer a couple of comments regarding the AM V8....Too big around the country lanes, horrendous running & service costs, not overly fun to drive, & it ain't that quick. The A3 with V6 & DSG does everything I need for less than a third of the price.

14. 1inchpunch

1inchpunch Member

Welcome Daft Old Sod.

Your take on the AM V8 is quite interesting. My boss put a deposit down on a DBS in March before he had actually driven one. When he finally got to drive it some of his observations were the same as yours. Mainly he said it was too big for fun driving on country roads, the driving position was awful, the gearbox was horrible and the clutch far too heavy. He said it also didn't sounds as good as he thought it would. He pulled out of the purchase and got a Boxster spyder because as he put it "it's fun and cheap".

15. rOb_A

rOb_A Active Member

not to put a dampener on things but if you had the budget for a AM V8 why go for a 2nd hand A3? I would have put my money in a high spec S3 with stage 2 map or RS3 if i had the available founds :yum:

16. andi1

andi1 WWW.APR-REMAPS.CO.UK

You may be surprised by the aston residuals ive been watching them over the past 3 years and if your buying one for around 40k 45k they barely loose anything in fact i think some have actually gained value from what ive seen.

17. wez3570

wez3570 Member

Very nice purchase mate.

But then I am biased! :whistle2: lol

Any plans to mod?

RNSE maybe?

18. Daft Old Sod

Daft Old Sod New Member

Easy answer mate, didn't really like the power delivery of the S3 and found it droned a bit at motorway speeds; as for the RS3, sorry to say but think it's over priced & ugly as sin. As for available funds....Have a hankering for an old F355 as a weekend toy, we shall see.

19. Daft Old Sod

Daft Old Sod New Member

Nothing wrong with being biased my friend :yes:

No mods planned as yet, difficult to improve on TBH.

20. N8

N8 Kowalski Details VCDS Map User

Pics no worky?

21. Daft Old Sod

Daft Old Sod New Member

Sorry, looks like Photobucket hiccup, will sort later :huh:

22. A1DEYB

A1DEYB Well-Known Member

AUDI RS3 2.5T FSI RS3 QUATTRO 5DR +++PHYSICAL CAR+++ | eBay

Correct!

Don't think it's ugly as sin though.

23. Smoothie

Smoothie Active Member

No pics yet?lol

24. paddy

paddy Audi=No fault code, no idea

No it dosnt actually...thats a bit of a myth.

25. crunchie

crunchie Active Member

Ugly, no. Pretty, not really. But why oh why is it in SB only! Makes absolutely NO sense!
    Can almost understand the DSG only option as Audi struggle to make the standard S3 clutch last past 60k service.

Can't believe there are no buckets as standard either! :think:

26. paddy

I cant see the pics but if its a 3.2 we need age mileage and i cant agree about the motorway thing, the S3 is actually lower revving and quieter.

27. paddy

Its just using up the parts bin...the new A3 platform is probably already on the production line now.

28. Jules86

Its not a myth, most A3 owners agree it doesnt sound as nice. My R32 sounded better than any non modded A3 3.2 i heard, any owner i asked agreed as well, though we both agreed an exhaust on the A3 sorted that out and made it sound better than the R32 (though it would then be modded vs standard)