My new (to me) B7 Avant

Thanks guys
One more by Fat bear photography:-

17118323316_3218d415d4_b.jpg

Reactions: dimitar.tuntov.5
gutted for you, if i'd been in your shoes I been at that Vectra driver with both hands and some more.....hope yo get it sorted .

Son of a bitch! Sorry to hear that what an absolute crappy thing to happen. I hope he's admitted fault?

Edit...
He or she!

Reactions: unitzero
gutted for you, if i'd been in your shoes I been at that Vectra driver with both hands and some more.....hope yo get it sorted .

NOOOOO!!!!

Absolutely gutted for you mate!! :(

Gutted ain't the word guys

I was surprisingly calm as we exchanged details. I think I was in shock maybe, the car I've been working on and getting how I want over the last two years being smashed into just didn't sink in until afterwards.
Better still, I had thought that it just needed doors and paint. After inspecting it this evening it looks like the inner sill inside the pass. door is bent :(

Son of a bitch! Sorry to hear that what an absolute crappy thing to happen. I hope he's admitted fault?

Edit...
He or she!

Was an old guy, didn't admit fault at the time but I can't see how he can say it was my fault. I swung out a little wide to avoid clipping the curb but that doesn't give him enough time to drive past me on the inside !

:sob: kin'el there are some numptys about, it's enough to drive you mad. I hope its fixable man, she was looking smart.

Last week some donk opened the their door into my drivers doors while i was in the shops, gouging a big chunk out of my drivers door paint. My "new to me" 07 car not one major scratch or dent since new. The second i buy it - bang - dented, tho not as bad as yours.

Last edited:
Saw this on UKMKiVs, gutted for you big time!!

Can't believe the Vectra driver could be so crazy

Thanks man. Really could have done without this. Was planning on attending lots of shows this year :(

:sob: kin'el there are some numptys about, it's enough to drive you mad. I hope its fixable man, she was looking smart.

Last week some donk opened the their door into my drivers doors while i was in the shops, gouging a big chunk out of my drivers door paint. My "new to me" 07 car not one major scratch or dent since new. The second i buy it - bang - dented, tho not as bad as yours.

People can be so inconsiderate. "Car guys" are always careful of other people's vehicles but others just see them as transport and just treat theirs and others with no respect.

Reactions: dimitar.tuntov.5
a large percentage of people here even having cars are insensible... a large percentage do not switch headlights , side indicators, distance is lower than 1m. on the motorway and that is the result ! Sorry for the nice car but the people here in Uk will be more carefull if all of them pay money - CLAIM his insurance and i'm sure he will learn his lesson .... Everyone here in Uk afraid of claim so .... they will became more calm if they pay more for insurance ! As simple as that !
And yes Claim him FULL amount and tell him next time to do it again ... basta*d

having headlights on during the day unless its very poor visibility makes no difference in this sort of situation, also a proven fact is that " car accidents " don't just happen, they happen as a result of a given sequence of events moments before the impact, most can be avoided but some cant as those sequence of events that have been set in motion cannot be changed or avoided.
not knowing what happened here , but if an undertake occurred then the Vectra was at fault as , he was in a situation which could have prevent the impact , if he was unable to prevent a collision occurring then there must have been other factors in play at the time, which still lead back to the avoidable sequence of events again.
accidents rarely happen without a reason, there has to be a starting point that lead to the end result.
hope you get it sorted problem free mate, but don't be surprised if it turns problematic as these types of RTA's can turn messy with the other driver trying to deny responability etc .

good luck.

Last edited:
Quote has been passed to the other guys insurer and I'm awaiting a response.

Preparing for the worst and removed the carbon splitter for now as the car is parked up at work for the time being and I don't want it to go missing.
I'm on the look out for a standard bumper as close to Lava grey as possible too in case the car gets scrapped. If anyone has one or knows of one for sale please let me know.

Sad face :-

17246774065_0897018470_c.jpg

Would have been good to have in hindsight. I have a GoPro that I was going to use as a dash cam but never got around to it. The one you mention with front and rear is ideal and made for the job though. Would like to find one a little cheaper mind you !

This is the big problem with bodywork repairs, they allways turnout darn expensive, and then it may become borderline if its a viable repair on cost basis with the insurance company.
I hope its not a write off mate but don't be surprised if its , £5k is a big payout bill for a car based on year/milage etc, be prepared for the worsecase and then if its not your good to go , i'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

This is the big problem with bodywork repairs, they allways turnout darn expensive, and then it may become borderline if its a viable repair on cost basis with the insurance company.
I hope its not a write off mate but don't be surprised if its , £5k is a big payout bill for a car based on year/milage etc, be prepared for the worsecase and then if its not your good to go , i'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

I just want to know what they're going to do. If it's a write off then I could be stripping my Air off it right now but I don't want to jump the gun incase they decide to fix.
Does anyone know how you go about "buying back" a car if the insurance company write it off ? Plenty of parts that can be broken off my car that people would want that the insurance company probably won't take into account when valuing it. RNSE, black headlining and pillars, two tone heated leather etc etc

get 3 quotes for repairs and then get a car valuation based on it age/year/model/milage etc in normal spec( as it would have been from factory) as third party mods wont make any difference to its resale price.
nearly all insurance companies will work on several quotes some will only get a repair price from there own repairers.
In theory they should, if written off, pay you what it would cost to replace your car with a replacement car as close to your own , or its current resale value, which may be lower than you might expect.
best get a confirmed descision from insurance company on what they are doing,really chase them up as they do drag their feet sometimes then go from that point.

Why you did not repair the car ? Are you affraid from changing two doors and may be pillar - or you havent got garages with skills to do that ?

Yes we have garages that can repair this but as I mentioned above they have said it will cost five thousand pounds. I am not going to pay that out of my own pocket. This is the reason I'm waiting to hear from my insurance company.

I spoke to the insurance company today who have passed my case to yet another claims company - From what I read between the lines it seems that the third party isn't accepting liabilty as he feels that I failed to check that it was safe to turn !!

whatever, sounds like a load of crap to me but TBH I just want to know if someone is going to fix my car !

i have a look the picture very carfully and i don't think the pillar is bend :) according to me is just both door and side skirts :) with paint and everything else this will cost NO MORE than 2k if you use only brand new parts :) my cousin work in body repair shop and i saw a few cars :D which been bad damaged and after that they look amazing !

Sincerely hope you get this sorted satisfactorily, the hassle and grief involved in achieving this is just not what you want after the initial incident....

In my limited experience combined with word of mouth experiences, any position the insurance company takes is open to negotiation, I'm sure they have (un) fair amount of room to move on offer prices if the worst case is arrived at. If they decide, in their opinion, it does look like a 'beyond economical repair' and you decide to retain the car to have repaired yourself, I'm sure you have considered this, but just be aware that the vehicle will be recorded as a Cat C or D loss.

Obviously this will have an effect on a resale value further down the line if/when you decide to sell. All I could say is that you carefully record with images and other documents the care taken to achieve the repair, this should serve to reduce the impact on any resale value in the future and also, put aside, any reservations some prospective buyer may have. It's obvious to all but a fool that your car is lovingly cared for , so this alone should count for alot !

Best of luck with this.

Gary

Last edited:
Gutted i know how you feel as some 1 drove into me in a car park and drove off so i had to claim on my own insurance i cant upload pic as keeps say file to big but when i got the cost it was aound 1500 new door and repainting whole side

i have a look the picture very carfully and i don't think the pillar is bend :) according to me is just both door and side skirts :) with paint and everything else this will cost NO MORE than 2k if you use only brand new parts :) my cousin work in body repair shop and i saw a few cars :D which been bad damaged and after that they look amazing !

The damage to the sill inside the door is what concerns me. ,,

17039594739_0ff62c9f59_b.jpg

Sincerely hope you get this sorted satisfactorily, the hassle and grief involved in achieving this is just not what you want after the initial incident....

In my limited experience combined with word of mouth experiences, any position the insurance company takes is open to negotiation, I'm sure they have (un) fair amount of room to move on offer prices if the worst case is arrived at. If they decide, in their opinion, it does look like a 'beyond economical repair' and you decide to retain the car to have repaired yourself, I'm sure you have considered this, but just be aware that the vehicle will be recorded as a Cat C or D loss.

Obviously this will have an effect on a resale value further down the line if/when you decide to sell. All I could say is that you carefully record with images and other documents the care taken to achieve the repair, this should serve to reduce the impact on any resale value in the future and also, put aside, any reservations some prospective buyer may have. It's obvious to all but a fool that your car is lovingly cared for , so this alone should count for alot !

Best of luck with this.

Gary

It is becoming a nightmare and taking way too long (of course I am more impatient than a standard motorist as I love my car looking good and want it fixed asap!)

I have been taking many pictures along the way and will continue to do so if/when this mess is sorted out.

I did a quick free car evaluation on the AA/Glass's website and they say the resale value of my car is between 5 and 7.5K depending on mileage and condition. Mine has high miles at 150k but was in great condition - well, before some **** drove into it !

I just seem to be doing all the chasing and getting fobbed off to different claims companies.

Gutted i know how you feel as some 1 drove into me in a car park and drove off so i had to claim on my own insurance i cant upload pic as keeps say file to big but when i got the cost it was aound 1500 new door and repainting whole side

Before seeing the bent sill I was thinking around £1000 - £1500 which would have been easier to swallow for the insurance company. but I don't want the doors repaired and the side resprayed and the sill left like that. when it comes to resale time and someone sees that they are going to run a mile !

Did you lose much of your NCB when you claimed on your own insurance ? what was the increase in your premiums like afterwards ?

welcome to the world of insurance claims and unless you have claimed more than once before and have not experienced the joys of claiming then you're in for what maybe a long drawn out claim procedure i'm afraid.
During my driving history , which is a fair few years and a few claims to boot, I have never had a claim go through which has been either swift or problem free and sometimes just downright a right pain.

What you do need to keep in mind is this, no matter how much the other guy tries to dispute it was not his fault, he still hit you from the back/side which does put him at fault, whatever manouver you were performing he should have made adjustments to his driving position etc , this would include pulling back more from your car so as to avoid any possible impact should the situation arise, clearly if he had made the appropriate adjustments in his driving he would have not hit you , as he tried to undertake you on a single carriageway before a left turn , he is at fault even if you did change your position on the road, he should have held back as it wasn't a safe or correct manouver to perform , he's at fault not you but sometimes it can be a right pain getting that made clear.
did you measure the position of your car and his car in relation to the left hand turn , sometimes it can be the deciding factor .
You may have already done this so ignore me if you have.
1) take a photo of the speedo reading showing the current milage and make sure the camera date is correct.
2) I assume you still have the car in your possession, so make sure it stays that way until you have any offers etc from the insurance company or details about any repair in writing before releasing it to anyone, once it leaves your possession anything can happen to it so you need to be in control of what will be happening to it , as the old saying goes, possession is 9 tenths of the law.
3) did you notify the insurance company about any mods to the car, they all ask it when you take out the policy and it rarely comes back to haunt us, but insurance ccompanies like to use even the smallest reason to squirm out of a payout even if it means using this get out clause.

Its all about reducing the chances of them refusing to honour your claim, claiming for accident damage etc used to be a straight forward procedure, not anymore.

good luck.

Last edited:
The damage to the sill inside the door is what concerns me. ,,

17039594739_0ff62c9f59_b.jpg

It is becoming a nightmare and taking way too long (of course I am more impatient than a standard motorist as I love my car looking good and want it fixed asap!)

I have been taking many pictures along the way and will continue to do so if/when this mess is sorted out.

I did a quick free car evaluation on the AA/Glass's website and they say the resale value of my car is between 5 and 7.5K depending on mileage and condition. Mine has high miles at 150k but was in great condition - well, before some **** drove into it !

I just seem to be doing all the chasing and getting fobbed off to different claims companies.

Before seeing the bent sill I was thinking around £1000 - £1500 which would have been easier to swallow for the insurance company. but I don't want the doors repaired and the side resprayed and the sill left like that. when it comes to resale time and someone sees that they are going to run a mile !

Did you lose much of your NCB when you claimed on your own insurance ? what was the increase in your premiums like afterwards ?
i lost all of my ncb (even tho i have cctv showing the other van but cant get reg plate ) this happened in october last year and still not happy with the repair even thought its through a audi specialst and its now going bk in to realine the doors and more paint work i wont now about my insurance untill its due in august.

Just spotted this.
How on earth can the other driver try and say it wasn't his fault? It really does amaze me when people come out with rubbish like that.

Hopefully you'll be able to get the car sorted by the insurance as it was looking great before this.

Just spotted this.
How on earth can the other driver try and say it wasn't his fault? It really does amaze me when people come out with rubbish like that.

Hopefully you'll be able to get the car sorted by the insurance as it was looking great before this.

Yeah its an absolute b*****ks but remember he was almost certainly told to say this by his insurance company. I've had two previous incidents where people drove in to my parked car when I wasn't in it and they tried to say it wasn't their fault because of the way/position my car was parked :wtf:

welcome to the world of insurance claims and unless you have claimed more than once before and have not experienced the joys of claiming then you're in for what maybe a long drawn out claim procedure i'm afraid.
During my driving history , which is a fair few years and a few claims to boot, I have never had a claim go through which has been either swift or problem free and sometimes just downright a right pain.

What you do need to keep in mind is this, no matter how much the other guy tries to dispute it was not his fault, he still hit you from the back/side which does put him at fault, whatever manouver you were performing he should have made adjustments to his driving position etc , this would include pulling back more from your car so as to avoid any possible impact should the situation arise, clearly if he had made the appropriate adjustments in his driving he would have not hit you , as he tried to undertake you on a single carriageway before a left turn , he is at fault even if you did change your position on the road, he should have held back as it wasn't a safe or correct manouver to perform , he's at fault not you but sometimes it can be a right pain getting that made clear.
did you measure the position of your car and his car in relation to the left hand turn , sometimes it can be the deciding factor .
You may have already done this so ignore me if you have.
1) take a photo of the speedo reading showing the current milage and make sure the camera date is correct.
2) I assume you still have the car in your possession, so make sure it stays that way until you have any offers etc from the insurance company or details about any repair in writing before releasing it to anyone, once it leaves your possession anything can happen to it so you need to be in control of what will be happening to it , as the old saying goes, possession is 9 tenths of the law.
3) did you notify the insurance company about any mods to the car, they all ask it when you take out the policy and it rarely comes back to haunt us, but insurance ccompanies like to use even the smallest reason to squirm out of a payout even if it means using this get out clause.

Its all about reducing the chances of them refusing to honour your claim, claiming for accident damage etc used to be a straight forward procedure, not anymore.

good luck.

I told my insurance company the mileage when I called them directly after the accident. The pictures show the position of both cars at the point of impact and I have written a full description of the event with diagrams as per the request of the claims "handling" company.
I tried to get a courtesy car but this meant getting palmed off to another claims handling company who refused to take the claim due to the other party disputing liability. I was then passed back to the original company. They have sent my description and are waiting to hear back from the third party "some time next week"

Suspension and wheels both declared.

I do still have the car but it's so depressing looking at it on the drive and driving it about in this state - I'm thinking of taking the Air suspension off whilst it's still in my possession just so they can't take everything from me if they decide to scrap it.

looks like your ontop of things so far, i'm not surprised the other party is disputing it , they will try and wiggle out of it by any means possible, all the time he is disputing things the whole claim may well become a somewhat drawn out situation,not ideal for you at all, best get ready to put on your angry jumper & trousers mate and get on that phone.
Did you get any other quotes for the work that is required, allways handy for comparing things and how wildly they vary.
keep us updated on things as it will be a real shame to see a great car and all your hard work go to the wall.

good luck chap.

If all else fails you could allways take him to small claims court if you cant get any satisfaction via normal ins route.
A couple years ago back during august a very stupid cyclist , and yes I said stupid because of his actions and attitude, was kind enough to crash straight into the back of our new vw polo whilst it was stationary .
He hit with such force that the rear window was shattered covering me with glass etc wrecked the tailgate bumper etc, total repair bill was £2500 .
At the time he admitted liability but then changed his mind the next day, anyway he wasn't insured as most cyclist arent and I didn't want to claim on my ins and didn't see why I had to,.
It dragged on for almost 6 months without any glimmer of redress luckliy there was witness that saw it all ,the guy clearly lied about what happened and denied it all, solictors were no use and a legal bill had amounted to over £600 without any progress, so I thought sod it and took out county court summons with witness details included, cheque appeared 3 days later for the full amount plus costs.
I'm not saying this is the same as your case but it highlights there is allways a way to get things sorted, just takes a while to get there, you just need to find the right solution.

I can't quite believe it but I have some progress..

I have been told that the third party has admitted liability (best result ! now I can relax a little knowing that my premiums shouldn't shoot up due to a claim)
A Courtesy car is being dropped off to me on Monday and my car is being taken to Audi's body shop for a full inspection and hopefully a repair.
I questioned that if the cost of repairing may possibly cause the car to be written off . They can't rule that out, although on their system my car is worth £12k (yes, I know. doesn't seem correct but hey ho !)

Reactions: Marc B7 and dimitar.tuntov.5