1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My new THS /atp Big port manifold :)

billybravo Jul 5, 2007

1. billybravo

billybravo Active Member

My THS bigport manifold came today so i thought i would let you guys have alook.

im the first person to test this manifold from THS.

It's made by the same ppl who make the ATP manifold in the states

install is a bit of a pain i had to bend a 12mm spanner at its neck to get to the top row of nuts to install the new mani.

anyway heres some photos and if i get time i will also make up an how to guid.

All i need now for my big turbo project is the ATP GT2871r turbo and an S4 clutch and flywheel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

last off all the std manifold is tiny compared to the THS

cheers all

Craig

2. PaulJC84

PaulJC84 Owner

You notice much of a difference and what was the cost?

It looks good.

I am thinking of picking up an ATP one when in the states in Sept/Oct as is a fair bit cheaper than buying it here.

3. billybravo

billybravo Active Member

THS isnt selling them yet as im the first person to test it for him i cant say what price he will sell these at but it will be around 150 i think i got a really good deal from him because i helped him out with the test of there 3" cat de pipe

ive not yet been out in the car to test it but i will report back tomorrow after ive been out init tonight

4. billybravo

billybravo Active Member

ps if your going near ATP on ur hols let me know would you pick up my turbo for me?

5. Biglockie

Biglockie Aye you know it makes sense

Dude very nice piece of kit!!!!!

I'm looking for a manifold to fit my T28 to!! you think they'd make one with the T25 flange???

Chris

6. billybravo

billybravo Active Member

im sure they do mate

7. PaulJC84

PaulJC84 Owner

I wont be going to them, will get them to deliver it to my hotel I think.

I think the turbo would be too big to bring back in my suitcase, sorry mate.

I dont know how much room I will have as my dad and I normally share a large suitcase when we go away. So I think the manifold will be about all the car bits I can bring back. I may try and squeeze a turbo inlet pipe as well but will see what the finances are like at the time.

8. billybravo

billybravo Active Member

no worries mate i was being cheaky anyways wish i was going to the states my suite case would be full of parts and maybe a pair of shoes lol

9. docurley

docurley Moderator Staff Member Moderator

10. Danielson

Danielson Member

nice one billy b, what are you doing for software/tuning? im not jealous... MUCH!

11. billybravo

billybravo Active Member

well i think im going to get awesome gti near me to map it they said they could

other than that im keen on using mega squirt as my bother knows everything about it and used to make the programes for jaguar Ecu's.

im along way from getting my turbo as i need the cash but i hope to be running 300whp by this time next year on a fully stripped out shell.

At the min she is around 1100kg with alot more to go

12. jimya4t

jimya4t Member

13. docurley

14. jimya4t

jimya4t Member

ok thats out the window then. any1 got any company names that have a good reputation or websites etc?
    cheers

15. Biglockie

Cheers Doc, seen that on fortitude, the only problem is where the turbo lies under the bonnet, gonna look into it anyways fella.

Chris

16. billybravo

billybravo Active Member

Well i went out in it last night and im very happy the manifold seems to have moved to powerband up a little and there seems to be a hint of lag now.

its made a diffrence for sure but i bet i will see it more when im running the big turbo.

as for that XS power **** dont do it

17. Biglockie

Nice one fella, all the little things help the flow should be much better with the big turbo on.

Can you have a word with the developer about the t25 flange fitment for me??

cheers
    Chris

18. billybravo

billybravo Active Member

19. Biglockie

sweet!!

20. jcb

jcb Active Member VCDS Map User

surely running a wider bore manifold on the same turbo will do exactly as you describe....slow down spool up and increase lag?

I take it you have a bigger turbo in the pipeline do you?
    Won't that make things worse? You want to maintain exhasut gas velocity and pressure to spin your turbo asap and then have as little resistance as possible post turbo...no?

How does the new mani compare to the old one in terms of bore and volume?

21. billybravo

billybravo Active Member

The volume is bigger on the new unit and as for what you saying how can there be more resistance now?? surly the bigger bore and volume on this manifold is going to cause less resistance.

the turbo im going for is the gt2871r which atp recommend there manifold for.

when i say lag i dont mean like a gt35 or somethings im talking about the smallist amount ever.

22. jcb

No I don't mean there is more resistance now, I mean there is less, but that is a negative in your case. You wan't to maintain exhaust gas velocity/temp from the head to the turbo as that is what keeps your turbo spinning and lowers any lag effect. not so important in a 3.5 litre turbo V8, but in a relatively low displacement 4 pot.
    The bigger is better rule doesn't apply to turbo manifolds. I am no expert but I am building one of my own design for a 2.1l 20v so I have a bit more volume to play with. I have just done a lot of research.

Think of it like a hosepipe on a propeller, if you squeeze the hose pipe, the propeller spins faster.
    The trick is, finding the sweet spot between too big and too small.

It is after the turbo that you want to resistance to be as close to zero (4" downpipe, some GT Porsche race cars have no real exhaust pipe after the turbo, just a huge 4" pipe about 18" long) so spent gases are not creating back pressure and limiting spool up through pressurising the exhaust gas yet to enter the turbo back towards the engine.

Not flaming your choice of manifold, looks good quality.
    Just expect the lag factor to maybe increase when you put a hungrier turbo on there.
    Would be interested to see how it affected spool and bhp/torque figures as a single stand alone mod on standard turbo.

23. macca

macca Member

JCB,

what exhaust system are you going to use, i'm going with a gt3071 probably and looking at a 3 inch out of the turbo and all the way through with a single large rear box. maybe thinking 3 inch not enough for 400+bhp?

be interested on manifold designs as i'm not sure what to use yet, i'm lagging behind you JCB as i'm interested in seeing how yours turns out.

also what ecu are you going to run, stock? i'm thinking maybe go MOTEC or something now.

24. PaulJC84

PaulJC84 Owner

How is the manifold holding up? Seem to still be all good?

25. Markey

Markey Active Member

Yeah be good to know, i have heard as well that bigger the better is not the best for smaller engines turbos etc, but once mapped i think that they larger would be a little bit better.

26. docurley

I think a larger Turbo is what’s needed to see real benefits.

27. Markey

Markey Active Member

Yeah somthing bigger than a K04

28. billybravo

billybravo Active Member

Yeah its fine still i cant say my car has seen much miles the past month with all the work ive been doing but im very happy with it upto now.

29. jcb

sorry, just saw this.
    I have a 2.75" turbo back Milltek with a high flow cat. haven't had a chance to look at packaging of the manifold and first/downpipe (not really a downpipe as it goes almost straight backwards).
    I have some 3" pipe for the first one and then a reducer to the 2.75" Miltek which starts just in front of the bulkhead.

I am robbing the full race mani design and buidling my own, hope to use it as the model for future mani's that I can sell with a choice of flange.
    I have to say I am seriously considering ditching the IHI turbo plan and going with a GT28rs or GT30, no real change except to the flange (which I haven;t got round to welding yet!).
    bought a burns stainless merge collector for thr manifold, makes the job so much easier and its a critical part of the design
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

have just moved everything into a nice new garage so am hoping to get the welding done this month next month, have a spare head to port and a new 2.1l block to build up so I can run it in on the KO3 for a 1000m or so, swap over the mani and turbo, pipes, injectors etc and get it remapped in October or so.
    Going with the OEM ECU and a MRC or Custom Code remap, looking for a comfortable 350-400bhp with a good spool up level ( I want max boost before 4000rpm) and good torque curve throughout

Need to get some discs for the 4 pot brembo calipers I have had sitting for 3 months!

30. Markey

Markey Active Member

Looking good there i think you should start your own project thread and keep us all updated :)

31. dappadan786

dappadan786 Member

agree! keep us posted mate on how things are going with lots of pics along the way! :icon_thumright:

32. macca

macca Member

thanks jcb, i was looking at milltek, i think i may go down that route for now, let me know about mani's as i may be interested in getting one off you if you produce some. i'll let you do the development first :)

33. jcb

will do. bit slack on the old project work. might get a thread up and running, bit of prodding might actually get my @rse in gear!
    Think my clutch may be going just when I don't need it to as well, was hoping to drop in a new block with a new cluthc rather than do it twice!

34. macca

macca Member

yeah, i wanted to put in new clutch and flywheel at sametime as the engine, but cash didn't allow, guess what, the clutch now needs doing. doh.