My New S3 Sportback .. and RNS-E Question pls..

VAG_Club001

Reaction score
Hi all,
Picked up my New S3 Sportback s-tronic today. Loaded with options which I will go over later and upload more pics. Got a quick question if I may? Installed RNS-E and as everyones says, install is a 10 min job however have noticed two things :-
1) Fan stays on after the unit & car have been turned off. Also starts the moment the plug is put into the back of the unit. Is it normal for the fan to stay on and when does it stop?
2) Should the unit switch off when the keys are pulled out?
Both of the above could be vag-com config but thought I would check beforehand.
Cheers,
KKP

P1020802.jpg

Just like to say, beautiful choose in car and colour. . I'm jealous!

I'm not technical enough for questions like that but theres plenty of people on here that can answer that question.

Enjoy your car!

dont worry, the fan stays on for quite a while after you switch off/remove keys. I thought the same too.

Just finished wiring im my mic & SDS hack - It even understands my Scottish accent lol.

Last edited:
Great looking S3 mate...In my favourite colour aswell! Roof rails and sun roof go well. Wouldnt worry about the fan as Khufu says it does stay on for a bit, but just dont notice it now. And yes the unit should turn off once the keys are taken out.
Anyway enjoy the car:s3addict:

Ashley

Last edited:
Fan? What fan? Mine is as quiet as a butterfly!

Great car choice :icon_thumright:

Have to agree with Staz on the colour choice. Hope you enjoy the car....oh, and get some more pics up :)

Hi all, another quick pic... i'll post all of them to the pics section later when i get a chance.... back to work... grrr

Only 300 miles on the clock so haven't been able to plant the accelerator yet. Roll-on 1000 miles... : )

Cheers,

KKP

P1020798.jpg

Hi all, another quick pic... i'll post all of them to the pics section later when i get a chance.... back to work... grrr

Only 300 miles on the clock so haven't been able to plant the accelerator yet. Roll-on 1000 miles... : )

Cheers,

KKP

P1020798.jpg

Car looks great KKP...Im jealous i want a sprint blue s3 lol.
Enjoy the car mate

Ashley, thanks mate.

Also spoke to Gareth at Hazzydays or better known as vwcruise.com earlier today. Switched on bloke and confirmed my rns-e was behaving the way it is because it hasn't been coded for an s3.... :-

-- Regarding the fan he mentioned it automatically turns off after 5 mins after the car has been exited, locked and alarmed. Once you jump back in, it'll start to spin again - that would explain why I thought it was on indefinately having returned to the car after 30 mins unarming my car to find what seemed to me as the fan still spinning.

-- the unit was turning off automatically after 30 mins (which I discovered driving home down the A1 on sunday afternoon!!). Again he mentioned this is because it hasn't been coded for the S3.

..both of which he'll sort out on Sat morning. I've made an appointment with him which he'll sort out for a small free!

Phew! for a moment I thought I purchased a duff rns-e off ebay.

Thanks for everyones help and re-assurance.

Cheers

KKP...

surely someone could code it up for you without booking it in at hazzy, theres plenty on here with vagcom, id help but your a bit far away mate.
lovely car by the way!

Yeah for sure. Gareth is a top bloke but he'll want cash for it. Plus he lives in London. There must be someone in your area with VCDS.

what are those silver strips on ur roof i want them for mine what do i ask for

Have a look at this thread if there any one local to you who can use there vagcom
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=57293
Hope you get it sorted soon mate

Cheers mate, but the link appears to be bust.

It did work a coupla days ago although I was trying to read the thread from my mobile and couldn't see anyone in essex, I may have overlooked it.

Thanks again to everyone but I'll stick with Gareth for the time being as I have booked in with him

If you navigate to the VCDS forum you'll find the users with VCDS thread mate.

Hi all,
Picked up my New S3 Sportback s-tronic today. Loaded with options which I will go over later and upload more pics. Got a quick question if I may? Installed RNS-E and as everyones says, install is a 10 min job however have noticed two things :-
1) Fan stays on after the unit & car have been turned off. Also starts the moment the plug is put into the back of the unit. Is it normal for the fan to stay on and when does it stop?
2) Should the unit switch off when the keys are pulled out?
Both of the above could be vag-com config but thought I would check beforehand.
Cheers,
KKP

P1020802.jpg
Sorry I know very little about the tech side but I have to say your ride is SWEET :respekt:

wow thats beautiful! i love the spirt blue and the look of the S3!!!

OK - one last question on RNS-e for today....

Right, I've got Acoustic parking system plus (order code 7X2) and I'm told rns-e should support the following :

PSP.jpg

..but only with the latest and greatest version of rns-e? My rns-e model is 05-2008 (Chrome Dials...) sorry I can't be more specific about the exact version, although I could find it.

Above pic is in the S3 Sportback manual..

Anyone got this feature? Would love to know

Cheers

KKP

OK - one last question on RNS-e for today....

Right, I've got Acoustic parking system plus (order code 7X2) and I'm told rns-e should support the following :

PSP.jpg

..but only with the latest and greatest version of rns-e? My rns-e model is 05-2008 (Chrome Dials...) sorry I can't be more specific about the exact version, although I could find it.

Above pic is in the S3 Sportback manual..

Anyone got this feature? Would love to know

Cheers

KKP

I'm afraid not. That looks like off the MMI system as fitted to the larger models like A6 etc. They also have a 'joystick' on the centre console for controlling it. It also controls the air con etc too.

It may be a function of the new RNS-E as you suggest but yours being the 2008 version I'm afraid you don't have the new one. It's a 2010 model you would need.

Fancy it myself too LOL

Nice one mate, Thanks for the update.

...More & More, me is thinking I should've factory fitted my rns-e..... oh well, live and learn.

picking up my sprint blue sb with opensky on march 15.looking at kkp0897s pics i am going to be a very happy chappy.apparrantly the car is on a ship at the moment and may arrive at warrington audi wed/thur.next week.-cant wait.i want to add sat nav plus asap.oem-retrofits in bradford supply and fit used rsne units for 590 pounds.do most of you buy the units on ebay and then get them fitted.any advice welcome

Last edited:
Hi Dave, oem-retrofits in Bradders seem like a nice bunch and know what they're on about - not sure if £590 is with Chrome Dials but consider going for the 08\09 model

I bought mine off ebay and got mine fitted by HazzyDays but many have recommended oem-retrofits

Look forward to pics up your S3 when you get it. Good luck, kkp

hi kkp,how much did it cost to buy the unit on ebay and then get it fitted.also,how are you finding the opensky system.had any problems at all.

Hello mate, mine was a tad overpriced, ~ £650 but you can most likely get one fitted for about this price also. With the fitting (after buying it on ebay) all in all I have paid £700. In hindsight, I would've gone to OEMs in Bradford or better still, got a factory fit (as mentioned above) because it would've been a 2010 model which seem to be a bit sought after and range in price in excess of £1K.

Re: Opensky, looks awesome from the outside, especially with it open, (tilt or slide) but not as impressive from inside. Mine does creek and others have noted similar

Cheers. KKP

looks great with the alluminnium roof rails.no regrets then.forgive me for being thick but are the roof rails for effect or do they actually serve a purpose:sorry::sorry:

Last edited:
hi kkp.found the following on ebay.audi a3 rns-e chrome s version.included-code card pin/user manual/gps fakra antenna/4 removal keys/eu 2009 map/12 months warranty/installation manual cd/commercial invoice/custom vag-com unit coding/video in motion unlocked. comes from poland.price-669+39 p+p.is this a good buy,what do you think.any input most welcome.:confused:

check ebay user jarastech - I bought from him. He is based in Northern Ireland. Both myself and BBSBOY off here have used him and recommended him to others.

Got my 2009 RNSE unit for £450

I wouldn't be paying over £500 for a RNSE to be honest!

cheers boydie, just found one with a current max. bid of 255 with 1 day to go.did you fit it yourself.

Pics of my S3 SB with BBS 19" CH-Rs... Apologies for the pic quality... taken at night on Phone Camera...

02012012072.jpg

02012012081.jpg

02012012077.jpg

Yes, lowering it is next :)

KKP

will look EPIC once lowered KKP! look forward to seeing you around ! :icon_thumright:

Hi all,

Got KW Automotive Lowering Springs on the Car today, supplied and fitted by AMD Essex. Great professional service and very pleased with that.

Having got the car back, there isn't a notable difference in the ride height. The front is slightly lower however the back looks a tad higher than what it was before.

The guys at AMD have told me it will bed / settle in by 10 to 15 MM all round and I have read a few threads on here suggesting the same.

Just looking for some reassurance from fellow ASN'ers with similar experiences. All comments welcome.

Apologies for the poor pic, it was hastily taken in the IKEA car park next door to AMD.

Cheers, KKP

photo.jpg

it looks higher than it was :detective2:

Looks high mate, but them wheels are epic! Where did you get them from and whats sizes are they (ET, Offset etc?)