My new a4 has problems

audi-a6

Reaction score
Hi all, long time no speak, so iv come back to audi, bought my self a nice b6 2.5tdi sport! Beautiful looking car, will post pics up later....

So I got a couple of problems and thought I'd post before trying to diagnose....

First, there is a weird kind of grinding noise that comes from the front drivers wheel, mainly only happens when going hard round a left handed bend, slowly makes no noise, the faster the louder the noise, also seems to it more when car is cold, the only time it will do it in a strait line is when pulling up a steep hill.

Second problem, I don't think the car is producing the power that it should, iv removed the air box temporarily to here for turbo noise, what I have noticed, that I can accelerate up to say, 3.5k and you can hear the turbo spool, let of the revs and the spool dies off for a couple of seconds and then just spools back up again with out touching the throttle, then dies of again when I get down to 1.5k revs... Is this normal? If not, what could cause it?

Here's a couple of pics of the car :))

Does sound like the bearing.If so it will quickly get worse.Turbo sounds like my previous 2.5tdi.It never changed in 3yrs so I thought it was acceptable but my current one doesn't do it so perhaps it should have been sorted

What could the turbo problem be though.... Dtc says that "boost limit not reached" and also today, car done a weird thing, it was like I hardly had any throttle, if anything, like the throttle was disconnected.... Guess that's a limp mode? No eml though

thanks to dan, we managed to do some logging on friday, anyone know the best way to up load it? cant copy and paste as there is too much data.....

Oh right, misread your comment. You need to save the excel sheet as a jpg or similar and upload it to a hosting site such as Photobucket. Then use the pic link in the toolbar above and copy in the link to photobucket.

Dan

Yeah that's what I thought, but it's a fairly big sheet, and if I squash to an image, it won't be readable......

ok, so after fiddling with the data and trying to get it as clear as possible from what we logged, i have come up with this graph. annoyingly vcds could not get group 115 (specified boost) to show, so we just decided to log as much as seemed relevant, hence why there is specified v actual intake pressure. i have trimmed a little off the start and finish of the data as it was all low very low speed getting to/from the car park to the more open roads. hopefully it makes the data a bit clearer. vehicle speed is logged against the axis on the right, all the rest are read against the left axis. timestamp was the basis for the x axis.

Log graph

Thanks dan!!

If any one can shed any light, let me know :) I ain't got a clue what I'm looking at

Bringing an old post back to life, I still have the grinding noise as per the first post in this thread, it hasn't got any worse, but is "temperature" driven, on a cold start, the noise will only happen every time I accelerate round a left hand bend, after a 20-30 min drive it will almost stop. Oh and it the only time it will do it with out turning is on a steep hill start :-/ I have visually looked at the wheel bearing and it looks fine, could it be a engine mount? As I have the active, hydro or what ever you call them...

You can only tell if a wheel bearing has gone either by play in the wheel but most bearings are parallel nowadays so you don't get play, the other way is the exact noise your describing! You will not tell by looking at it you will have to change it.

Jack the car up & spin the wheels, if you can hear a grinding noise from the hub area you have a goosed wheel bearing.

It's not just movement you're looking for, it's listening for a grinding sound when the wheel is spinning.
BTW check all 4 wheels.

Yeah that's what I mean, no noise at all when car in the air, like I said it only does when that corner is under load by going round a left bend and with acceleration, with foot off the gas it's silent

you wont get noise when there's no weight on the wheel , modern parallel bearings dont even make noise until a load is put on them, the only way to eliminate the bearing is to change it.

you wont get noise when there's no weight on the wheel , modern parallel bearings dont even make noise until a load is put on them, the only way to eliminate the bearing is to change it.
Are they easy to do on these cars?

If your handy with spanners but you,ll need a press to get bearing out and fit new 1

so wheel bearing replaced..... still got the noise, whats next on the list lol, guessing its going to be something to do with transmition, iv read that a golf had a similar thing, he replaced the dual mass fly and it was fixed!! how would that cause the problem?

Easy to swop out,get one from a scrappy. x6 m10 splines and x1 17mm hex 1/2

Yeah, done several before, wouldn't go second hand though, they not expensive new

This noise is driving my nuts! Don't want to buy any more parts till iv diagnosed the fault. Here's a video of me going on and off the power on a left hand bend

wheel bearing i reckon mine was similar,make sure you take the driveshaft bolt out to check it.
i done one today swopped it for a spare i had,for safety, ill be getting new ones next week.
And if its doing it when turning left check your right...i did my right side today.

You need a good strip down.i had my track rods replaced and i couldnt believe the difference.